What's the knob on the front of the EM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hwan, Oct 18, 2014.

1. hwan

hwan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    St Louis, MO
    There's that little plastic thing with a flash symbol on it that can be removed. What is that for?

Attached Files:

2. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

It's an external flash connector, instructions on its use are on page 132 of the manual. I've never used it so don't know how it works!
  3. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    It's called a PC flash synchronization port. It is used for hard wiring connections to flash heads. In my case I use a PC Buff ring flash setup where the EM1 camera fits inside the circular diameter of the ring flash and there isn't room to mount a connection off the standard hot shoe, (or any wireless transmitters) so this is where I plug the ring flash into the camera.
  4. hwan

hwan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    St Louis, MO
    Interesting. Thanks all.
  5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    The PC connection was frequently used for studio flashes before wireless or slave triggering made it more convenient.
  6. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    The little button cover screws into place.
    Be sure to check it now and then as I lost mine even though I never use it.
    Maybe putting it in and out of a bag has slowly turned it.
    Ordered a new one from Olympus
  7. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    These are "old school" connectors. I just bought a plug off ebay for a dollar and put the "original" plug in a box with the hot-shoe cover and other unused accessories, for safe-keeping.
  8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually if you want to be correct, Prontor-Compur connections were the PRIMARY way to connect a flash before hotshoes existed. I've owned a few cameras that had this limitation like:

You can see the PC connector right of the lens; you'd put the flash into the accessory shoe (which was the same size and shape of today's hotshoe, but no electrical contacts), and run a cable from the flash to the PC connector. Here's another example, the PC connector is on the left side of the lens where it says "125"...BTW the lever above the word "COMPUR" is to cock the shutter before every shot, and the lever inbetween is aperture control:
    • Like Like x 1