What's the knob on the front of the EM-1

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
It's called a PC flash synchronization port. It is used for hard wiring connections to flash heads. In my case I use a PC Buff ring flash setup where the EM1 camera fits inside the circular diameter of the ring flash and there isn't room to mount a connection off the standard hot shoe, (or any wireless transmitters) so this is where I plug the ring flash into the camera.

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
The little button cover screws into place.
Be sure to check it now and then as I lost mine even though I never use it.
Maybe putting it in and out of a bag has slowly turned it.
Ordered a new one from Olympus

beameup

Mu-43 Regular
These are "old school" connectors. I just bought a plug off ebay for a dollar and put the "original" plug in a box with the hot-shoe cover and other unused accessories, for safe-keeping.

Mikefellh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The PC connection was frequently used for studio flashes before wireless or slave triggering made it more convenient.
Actually if you want to be correct, Prontor-Compur connections were the PRIMARY way to connect a flash before hotshoes existed. I've owned a few cameras that had this limitation like:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You can see the PC connector right of the lens; you'd put the flash into the accessory shoe (which was the same size and shape of today's hotshoe, but no electrical contacts), and run a cable from the flash to the PC connector. Here's another example, the PC connector is on the left side of the lens where it says "125"...BTW the lever above the word "COMPUR" is to cock the shutter before every shot, and the lever inbetween is aperture control:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom