Whats the idea behind panaleica?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Viktor, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Viktor

Viktor Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2012
    Denmark
    Could anyone explain to me why there is absolutely no consistency in p-ls lineup in lenses? One (42.5) has ois and aperture ring, another (15) has only aperture ring, some have neither etc. Is it because they cant decide what kind of cameras they will make? Maybe the 15mm indicates, they now will focus on the idea of making more cameras functionally designed like the lx100: ibis, separate dedicated controls of aperture, speed and exposure +/-. That would be a great move I think - I really would like that direction, also from Oly. But with that kind of camera I guess it would take long before they have made most lenses with aperture ring. What do you think? Maybe there is no plan...

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The early lenses (25, 45) did not have aperture rings as they weren't well supported by bodies. OIS support is consistent, however, across all Panasonic lenses. Anything that goes above 25mm at the long end gets OIS, anything limited to that or below does not. This includes zooms btw.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Viktor

Viktor Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2012
    Denmark
    But since they started making IBIS cameras, dont you think, they are going towards no ois in long focal lengths also?

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Started? I don't think so. The LX100 is a compact, so doesn't really count. It also has OIS anyway, not sensor stabilisation. The only time they tried sensor stabilisation was the GX7, which appears to be the last of that line. The GM1, GM5, GH4, etc, are all unstabilised.

Sensor shift makes cooling difficult, which makes high spec video difficult. Given how much Panasonic emphasise video, I don't see it as a priority for them.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Viktor

Viktor Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2012
    Denmark
    I guess that makes sense, even thou I hope they figure it out...

6. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    The PanaLeica aperture ring is not a new idea for them, the early Four Thirds 25mm 1.4 PanaLeica had also dedicated aperture ring on lens.