whats the fastest card for the em5ii and would it matter?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by travelbug, May 15, 2017.

1. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2014
    whats the fastest sd card (in terms of write) the em5ii can take and that has been proven to work without issues. also would it actually make a difference with my raw buffer clearance during high speed shots when using my p100-300ii. atm, the buffer (20 shots iirc?) fills up in a second or so when shooting high speed.

2. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Yes it will make a difference to the time taken to clear the buffer.
    Pay very close attention to the WRITE speed of any cards your looking at.
    It will make next to no difference to max shoots before the buffer fills up

3. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2014
    thanks for the links!
    looks like the lexars are the clear winners here. ive also read a couple of posts sometime ago about certain sd card incompatibilities with the em5ii. am i right to assume that the lexar 1000/2000 uhsii are not one of those cards with issues?

4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    That I have no idea about. I only shoot an EM1 so haven't really followed other camera problems with cards.

5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Forgot, at the bottom they do talk about problems with certain cards, well for the EM1MK2 they do.......didn't scroll down on the em5 page

6. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2014
    no similar section on the em5ii page but they seem to prefer the lexars so thats probably the safe bet unless someone chimes in and says otherwise. i do seem to remember a post on people complaining about the toshiba card on dpr, so that people may likely want to avoid...

• Like Like x 1
  7. slmoore

slmoore Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2014
    Oklahoma
    There was this thread from a while back that mentioned a reproducible problem when shooting video with a Lexar 1000x card. Not sure if it is still an issue, but if you shoot video might be worth further research. Fastest SD Card for E-M5II

8. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Yeah, that might have been me — I've had nothing but trouble with a batch of 64GB Lexar Professional 1000x XCII cards when shooting video with the E-M5 mk II and also, more recently, the E-M1 mk II. Out of a total of five cards, three have suddenly died in camera, right after shooting a moderately long piece of video — maybe 8 minutes or so. Each time the card has been beyond any form of recovery that I'm aware of: all data lost and card no longer detected either by camera or computer.

Might have been a bad batch, I don't know. Others may have had a different experience with them.

9. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Bad luck bad batch bad card firmware that's now supposedly fixed , can't won't argue against what's been experienced

My lex 1000x uhs2 card continues to be good and whilst I shoot minimal video it's the default card for video on the mk2 and hasn't let me down yet

10. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2014
    how many gb is your lexar?

11. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Oops meant to include before. It's a 64Gb 1000x
    My 32Gb 2000x has been great and now the firmware is fixed I'll buy a 64Gb version

12. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2014
    I think I'll bite the bullet and give the lexar 1000x a try.

13. alex g

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Ah, that's encouraging news — do you have a link?

14. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Sorry Alex not handy, I recall ready a post a month or two ago were someone had been informed by Lexar it was resolved and they would swap faulty cards
    Cheers

15. alex g

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Cheers, Phil. Good to know that they're offering replacements... I will investigate! :thumbsup:

16. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    At first I'd be taken aback by hearing Lexar being the winner when the few I have (most likely different series of "Pro") have marked high read speeds, but their write speeds are only about 20MB. The promaster rugged cards I have will give around 95~99MB/sec write speed from my USB 3.0 reader even if my E-M1 or E-M5 (mk1) won't.

Also Lexar seems to be that interesting brand that can be fast, but only if the camera has that additional compatibility for it. Least that's how it's been in the past for me.

edit Reason I have two of the Promaster Rugged cards (32gb and 16gb) aside from their write speed actually testing to what they claim, is because they also have a 48 hour replacement guarantee (if the card fails, they guarantee a replacement within 48 hours [business days]) , which can either be mailed, or if there's a promaster dealership (my local Norman's where I got the card is one), they would just swap the card right at the counter.

17. PhotoDmiK

PhotoDmiK Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2015