1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What's the differnce betweeb using develop preset and a camera profile in lightroom?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by bobby_t1, Sep 29, 2012.

1. bobby_t1

bobby_t1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Have been some develop presents going around for the OM-D and recently saw some discussion about the Huelight camera profiles.

It then got me wondering what the difference was between them. I've only ever using develop presets and the default camera profile.

Who can educate me?

2. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I was wondering the very same thing. I do know that when looking at presets, you can run your pointer over the preset and view the results in the Develop module in the Navigator screen, and camera profiles do not do that. I also read where you could take a profile after suing it as a setting in Lightroom and save it as a preset. That way when you run your pointer over that preset you can see the results in the navigator screen. I would like to know the difference myself.

3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Some things they do the same and some a bit different. The main one would be that a profile can be built to treat a colour differently throughout its range. For example, if you boost the reds saturation in a preset all reds are affected. However you could, with the appropriate skill level, build a profile where the darker reds get more saturation than the lighter reds. Or you could push light greens a bit more toward yellow and leave darker greens alone. In addition you can tie how a profile treats colour to the white balance.

I've built my own multi shot profiles for all my cameras over the years as I've disliked the oversaturated reds and oranges that Adobe seem to like. But I now have a Huelight profile set for the OMD and it's very well made.

Often those differences will be subtle. Sometimes not.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    If I've been doing things right, you can turn a profile into a preset by creatiing a user preset from a file that has been "developed" with the profile you want to use as a preset (for example, so you can apply it to files at the time you import them). Uncheck all of the settings in the dialog box other than "profile" (and process, which LR won't let you de-select, IIRC) and name your new preset.