1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ddb, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Went to the local camera store today to get a G1. I had my credit card out and was ready to purchase the camera but while looking in the box discovered there was no lens. There was only one G1 and one G10 left in the store and but the salesman wouldn't take the kit lens out of the G10 box for the G1 that I wanted. He asked if I wanted to get the G10 but it was $100 more. Since I didn't know the difference I left the store without either. I have tried finding a direct comparison on these forums and on-line but can only see that the G10 has video and the G1 does not. Are there any other major differences? I'd spend the extra $100 if I thought it was worth it, but I don't really care about video.

2. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

• Like Like x 1
  3. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    The G1 has a fully articulating LCD screen, which is REALLY handy for shooting at angles other than straight ahead (like holding the camera at arm's length above or below your head, something I do often!)

The G10 has video. I don't think it has the touch screen thing on the back though(?)

Otherwise I'm pretty sure they are the same.

4. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    I bought my G1 with the kit lens for 480 on Amazon, I wasn't too crazy about red, but couldn't beat the price so who cares about the color.

5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I bought the same thing myself and was pleased to find out that while they call it red its more of a wine color. Not bad at all. There is something odd about the red material. It photographs very bright red, but is really rather subdued.

There are a number of significant differences between the G1 and the G10:

* G1 has a much higher resolution eyelevel EVF.
    * G1 has a positionable rear LCD panel
    * G1 has not video mode at all

Also, the kit lenses are different. The "old" kit lens is a 14-45mm zoom with a metal lens flange and its own on/off switch for the OIS. The "new" kit lens is a 14-42mm zoom with a plastic lens flange and no switch for the OIS. Enabling and disabling the OIS is done from a menu on the body (the G1 needs the firmware updated to v1.5 to add this menu item). The difference in the kit lenses is likely what prevented the salesperson from selling you a kit with the lens from the G10.

The new G2 that replaced the G1 has all of the G1's attributes plus the added video (more advanced than the G10), the touch-screen rear LCD, and a few small tweaks in the control locations.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks for the input. Think I'll order a G1 on-line.

7. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    The G1 is a great deal right now, if you don't want/need video.