What's the difference between these two OLY lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by iscripter, Apr 15, 2013.

1. iscripter

iscripter New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    New to the forum and new to Micro Four thirds mirror less cameras. I am wanting to pickup a OLY 40-150mm lens but I am finding two versions online and I am not sure what the difference is between the two lenses. One appears to be newer with a R in the name but I can't find any info on what has been changed in the lens.

Here is a link to the lens.
    M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6
    M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 - PEN and OM-D - Lenses | Olympus

M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 R
    M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 R | Olympus

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The styling is the only thing that's different between the two. Optically and mechanically, they are the same.

3. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Actually they're not. Same number of elements, same number of groups, and even the same lens diagrams. MSC is simply a term Olympus started applying after the first 40-150 was released. Focusing speed and noise is identical. There are no functional differences.

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The two 40-150 mZuiko zoom lenses are mechanically and optically the same, the difference is cosmetics.
    The links you listed are for the 40-150R vs. the 14-150. These are different, the 14-150 is a super zoom: 28mm-300mm eq. The 40-150 is 80mm-300mm eq.
    (refer to spec sheets on those links)

6. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Weird...looks like Olympus has the wrong spec sheet attached!

7. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    They are currently very cheap, and deliver excellent results, as well as being small and light. You won't be disappointed.

8. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    I grabbed a 40-150mm when they went on sale for $99 about 2 months ago. It's great for outdoors when you have lots of light.

9. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I've seen religion with the slow zooms. When I had only fast lenses, I sought darkness. Now that I have some slow zooms, I see the light.

10. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I will add a cautionary note that on the E-P1 the 40-150 there are struggles with accurate and speedy (as in slow) focus results.

Same lens on the E-M5 is snappier and more accurate.

At least in my hands ...

11. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I didn't know that! I have an E-M5.

12. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I used the 40-150 on 2 different E-P1 for ~12 months and had lots of frustration getting focus reliably. I'd say close to 70% rejection rate ... with the E-M5 and 3 weeks of use rejection rate is ~15%. This is on much more difficult subjects that I would even attempt with the E-P1.

I have some photos in the birds thread showing captures of birds in flight that were simply not possible to do until the E-M5 was driving the lens.

It stands to reason as the camera body is the brains and the lens just does as it is told. One would rightly expect the more recent bodies do a better job.

Certainly my skills in camera handling have NOT improved in the last few weeks ... if anything the E-M5 is enabling my backsliding!

13. iscripter

iscripter New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Thanks for the info guys.
    I plan on using it with an E-PM1, hopefully the focus will be fast with this body and lens combo. I will be taking it with me on vacation to the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I had no trouble focusing w/ the 40-150 R on my EPM1. Fast and accurate. :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!