1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What's the angle of view in square format?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Dec 3, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I am just wondering if anyone would know how to calculate (or if you could calc for me :biggrin:) the horizontal AOV (and maybe also the diagonal) for a panasonic 20mm lens if shooting in 1:1/6:6/square format.

2. billy_pilgrim

billy_pilgrim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    From wikipedia, the formula is 2 * arctan ( sensor size / 2 * focal length) (that's in radians also). The m4/3 total diagonal is 21.6mm, but cropped to 1:1, it's just sqrt(13^2 + 13^2) = 18.4mm. So normally we get a diagonal AoV of 56.7 degrees, and 36 degrees vertical, and so 36 degrees is also the horizontal angle for a square crop, and for the diagonal for the square crop we get 49.4 degrees.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks. Stupid me! The new horizontal aov would the same as the current vertical. Duh!

Thanks so much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.