What's taking so long for a fast wide angle prime?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jonathan F/2, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sony and Fuji both have fast wide primes in their line-up and yet M43 doesn't have any? I think either an 8mm or 9mm 2.8 would be great. Any idea why neither Olympus or Panasonic has stepped up to the plate in this range yet? We have a 12mm/14mm/15mm/17mm x2/19mm/20mm/25mm, but nothing wider? I'm almost thinking we'll get a 13mm, 16mm and a 21mm-to-24mm before we get anything in that range! :eek::rolleyes:
  2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Possibly either design concerns (don't know of any "smaller than APS-C" fast wide angles), or they don't think that they will sell enough to recoup engineering costs. Consider that both Olympus (4/3) and Panasonic came out with an 8mm fisheye, and they both have 7-14/4 (with the upcoming 7-14/2.8). I think Olympus is counting on capturing the market potential with their 2.8 zoom coming out.
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Good question. I do think that Olympus is counting on their soon to be zoom but Panasonic has nothing out or planned.
  4. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    This is a tough one to crack IMO. Consider a 9mm prime. It has to compete with the Olympus 9-18mm, which is very small, affordable, and optically decent. Such a lens would need any three of:
    a) considerably better IQ.
    b) faster aperture.
    c) similar price.
    d) similarly compact size.
  5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    A 9mm f/2.8 (or even 2.0?) would be awesome.
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    A fast wide prime is the one serious hole in the u43 catalog(ue) IMHO. AN 8mm f2.8 would be great - ideally of a similar size to the Samyang fisheye or the 9-18 in its retracted state.
  7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    9mm 2.8 would be a great first m43 native for Sigma to make. They would sell loads
  8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Can you point to a 16mm or 18mm FF equivalent lens provided by Sony or Fuji (that's not a fisheye)?
  9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    One of the most interesting FOV/aperture (on FF) combinations that I especially enjoy, enjoy a LOT.....is 24mm/f1.4, I find this particular combination on a FF gives such a unique and interesting look ....would be brilliant to see Panasonic do a 12mm 'Nocticron'...in fact, I'd love to see more 'Nocticrons' period.
  10. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Rokinon has that 10mm f2.8 which is large but would fit the bill?

Yeah but if we had a 12/1.4 on m4/3s I don't think we'd see as much of a 3D like you'd see on FF. How about a 12/0.95. Would probably be huge and $1200! lol
  11. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    To get the 24/1.4 look on MFT I assume you'd need something like a 12/0.7. I guess it would be doable, but it would certainly be a bit chunky.
  12. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Only problem, so far, seems to me that wider lenses always seem to need a lot of correction for the optics. Personally, if they were going to do an F2.8 UWA, I'd pay the extra for it to need no/very minor optical correction in software. Mainly as to me, software correction usually results in loss of detail...

This is why i hope Sigma does it - they wouldn't rely on software correction profiles - like Rokinon/Samyang lenses...

13. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I think the widest X lens Fuji has right now is the 14/2.8 which is a 21mm equivalent.

I think Sony's widest E-mount is 16/2.8. The widest non-fishy A-mount is 20mm.

ยต4/3 has a 10/2.8 which beats those.

I'm not sure that it's practical from a business viewpoint to produce lenses wider than 20mm (equiv) as they're very specialized, seldom used, and even more rarely bought. Throwing that range into a zoom that also offers more commonly used focal lengths makes sense... a 7 or 8mm prime is a tougher sell for a system that still hasn't got the market that Canon or Nikon has. It wouldn't make sense to produce a lens that only lost the company money.
  14. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    What's the point in fast UWA lens? They are mostly used for static scenery any way, so why bother about 1 stop advantage?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 12mm Zeiss Touit 2.8 is an 18mm FF equivalent which is available for both mounts.
  16. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Event shooting, nightlife, photojournalism, candids in close quarter environments (ex: weddings), etc.

Seriously, not everything revolves around landscapes. 1 stop can make all the difference in those scenarios, especially when shooting moving subjects. Plus faster glass has the added advantage of faster focusing in low light. For example the 12mm f/2 can focus in near dark conditions, while the 14mm 2.5 slows to a crawl.
  17. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
  18. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    They just ran a sale the other week where you could buy both the Zeiss 12mm 2.8 and 32mm 1.8 for around $919 USD. Not to mention the 12mm sells new currently for under $700 in the US through Ebay sellers. Photozone rates the lens quite favorably.

Anyways, we just need one fast wide prime.
  19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The moment one is provided, someone will pipe up and say it's not what they want. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  20. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    - most pro's used flash in those scenarios, at least from what I've seen
    - candids? Have you seen 7-14/f2.8 Zuiko lens on m43 camera?
    1 stop is not that much, nowadays sensors are leaping about 1 stop every 2-3 years. Without DOF advantage, faster UWA dosn't make much sense to me.