whats smallest and lightest?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by garethld, Sep 20, 2013.

1. garethld

garethld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    which oly or panasonic csc is the smallest and lightest? ideally from the last 12 months so that its got one of the latest sensors etc...

2. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
  3. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I would agree with EPM2. The GF5 is around the same size as the E-PM2, and while it has a built in flash, it has an update to the older 12mp sensor, while still very good, not as nice as the newer sensors in the m4/3 and APS-C mirrorless market.
  4. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
  5. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Yes E-PM2 AFAIK.

That sensor is still considered current since it is still being used by the E-P5 which was released not too long ago.
  6. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Suddenly the tread is changing, EM1 and GH3 are the right size, we are just followers.
  7. wallyrulz

wallyrulz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2011
    The lack of a mode dial made the e-pm2 a deal breaker. The e-pl5 is not much bigger (to accommodate the tilt screen) and has the mode dial. When I want a lower profile it is the one I grab (with pany 20). Most folks think it's a point and shoot.

But smallest and current? Yes, E-PM2
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Lack of Mode Dial is a problem? The digital mode dial is superior in my opinion, which is why pro-grade bodies like the E-1, E-3, and E-5 use that feature. The physical mode dial on all my cameras which have one is the weakest, most fragile part of the entire camera. Not only that, but they are too easily accidentally bumped. I consider the Mode Dial to be the weakest link on most otherwise good cameras - with the exception of the recessed mode dial of the E-P1 and E-P2, which was a brilliant design (both stylish and durable).

On the other hand, the E-PM2 has a cheaper build and is a little short on function buttons (though it does have one more than the E-PM1, which is good), as well as lacking the flip screen. The E-PL5 keeps the nice aluminum casing of the E-PM1, along with the extra buttons and flip screen of the E-PL3 and the sensor of the E-M5. The E-PM2 is technically a little smaller but the difference is so tiny that I can't imagine it would make any difference to your packing or otherwise. If you can afford the extra dough, then the E-PL5 would be a better choice.

Panasonic has a contender in the GF series but I honestly wouldn't even consider it. No hotshoe, not EVF compatibility, no external mic compatibility, no IBIS, full reliance on touch-screen menu rather than dedicated controls... everything about the line is a big con over the Pen Mini line, whereas the overall size is about the same (the Pen Minis are longer but shorter) and the price of the Panny is even higher. The E-PL5 would be my #1 choice if money is not a concern, with the E-PM2 being my #2 choice on a budget.
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The EM1 and GH3 are simply additional options. No one is forcing anyone to use those instead of smaller cameras.

To each his own. Some people like one, some the other.

The PM2 and GF 5 and 6 are almost identical in size, but I would agree the Olympus is the better choice in this class, even though I prefer Panasonic cameras in general.
  10. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    The GX1 is pretty dad burn tiny and light. Not the smallest or lightest but certainly still featherweight class. But you get a 16MP CMOS, many fabled mode dial, metal body, popup flash and ability to attach an EVF. It's been on closeout all summer but supplies are probably running short by now. I bought one for $250 last spring and saw them at Adorama and Amazon in July for $199.

Incidentally in 40 years of shooting, I have yet to have a mode dial move on me. Not even once on my Canon, Nikon, Panasonic or Olympus cameras. My buddy in crime has a beer gut and wears his camera upside down with a Black Rapid strap and manages to press and turn just about every button and dial. Even released his lens once! My only problem seems to be turning the rear dial and inadvertently setting exposure compensation...
  11. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    E-PM2 with 14mm 2.5. Pretty small and Light.

Also with 14-42PZ or even Oly 14-42mm II lens, it's small and light.
  12. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    IMO the compact bodies are let down by compact lens availablity. AFAIK the Panasonic 14mm, the 20 , the PZ 14-42 and the Olympus 17 are the only really slim line lenses. The 8mm is a bit wide for my taste, as I'd like something more akin to an effective "24mm" (so a 11mm or something). I have a C mount 12mm which is nice except for the vignetting.

As soon as you fit any of the other lenses on the camera they become a lump. I often carry around a 14mm or Pentax 110 24mm "standard" lens on my GF-1 so that it can slip in and out of the backpack pocket easily. That lens is incredibly small and covers the sensor properly.

This is shot with the 24mm at 16:9 JPG and not cropped
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I never used the PM2, but I did have a PM1 and a PL5. I never found the lack of controls on the former too onerous, and it was small for a large sensor ILC. Jean and shirt pockets are always on the tight side but any jacket pocket works fine. Given the great IQ, it's a nice package. I agree with Pellicle, however, in that I would like a few more pancakes, even if they aren't quite as fast.
  14. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

GF6 does offer a hotshoe and I want to say a microphone port. You also have to remember the Panasonic are also a bit better in terms of video.
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Try this website for comparison purposes. You can also get some cameras with lenses attached:
    • Like Like x 1