What's preventing a native TS/PC lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Johbremat, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Per the subject.

And why would it be unfeasible to produce, use a TS M43-M43 adaptor if macro tubes are a thing?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Lack of demand probably.

Are there auto focus/aperture shift lenses?

You can adapt ts lenses from other mounts, and iirc there is a ts adapter available for mu43 bodies to other lenses.

Barry

3. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    There's a couple of tilt shift adapters for Nikon lenses costing ~£200, otherwise all the ones I've seen have been tilt only -Including some with 'Tilt/shift' in the title.

It's not difficult to come up with DIY mounts to give limited tilt/shift functions, I did one for a enlarger lens years ago.

I wouldn't expect AF to be at all useful for tilted lenses, though I guess it could help if you're just shifting.

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Kipon makes tilt/shift adapters for a variety of mounts - Nikon, M42, OM, and Leica R. I built myself a 3D-printed DIY tilt/shift adapter, but don't use it anymore...

I think the main issue is that tilt/shift just isn't nearly as useful on smaller sensor cameras. It's a very niche market, even on larger sensor cameras. Technical cameras often use it out of necessity...

For shift and perspective correction, it's very difficult to find lenses with a larger image circle that are worth adapting. The adapted focal lengths are all too narrow for architecture, or they don't have great corner quality and/or accommodate off-axis projection very well. Maybe if you are spending thousands of dollars, that changes, I guess. In general though, a panoramic stitch or a digital skew correction with M4/3's ultrasharp native lenses usually works better and you don't need to worry about weird aberrations.

For tilt, you already have the ability to get deep DoF through conventional means with normal shutter speeds and apertures and ISOs, so that's okay. It can be fun to use the toy lens / miniature effect with a thin slice of DoF, but you can also do that with a very inexpensive Lensbaby, and I find the effect gets a bit old fast.

I found that I liked the idea of tilt/shift more than I liked actually working with it, at least on M4/3. Your mileage may vary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry