What's next?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by CaptureLights, Dec 4, 2014.

1. CaptureLights

CaptureLights Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 4, 2014
    I'm currently using Pentax as my main system, however, until recently, I've come across an deal on an m43 bundle for 1K, and i snatched it.

The bundle consist of GX1 and GH2 cameras, and these lenses:
    Panasonic 14 2.5; 20 1.7; 14-140 4-5.8; 100-300 4-5.6
    Olympus 45 1.8

Generally, i think both of the cameras in this bundle were excellent, and i love how small and light it is compared with other systems. so i'm thinking i will have an designate usage for them both, therefore, decided to keep them. GX1 with 14 2.5 would be excellent for my pocket camera so i can have one camera on me at all time, and GH2 with 14-140 + 100-300 would exceed my needs for video and maybe longer shots with the extra bits of reach from the 100-300.

With the above logic planned out on my head, i sold the Panasonic 20 1.7 and Olympus 45 1.8 for net profit of $400ish (included shipping, fee, etc).

So its been a little over two weeks now, and i'm really liking this set up. its light and portable, and i'm wondering if i should invest more into this system? i'm currently eyeing on the Panasonic 25 1.4, but I also thought about selling the 14-140, and buy the sigma trio 19, 30, 60 2.8? but the 14-140 is just so useful with OIS and efficiency, therefore, i should just buy the 25 1.4 and be done?!

Photography is my hobby, and I shoot architect/landscape the most, then everything nature.

Any suggestions on what should i invest in next?

What would you do in my situation?

2. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    If you are into architecture & landscape then perhaps you might want to think about something wider? The Olympus 9-18mm is pretty good value (not as wide as the Panasonic 7-14mm, but considerably cheaper and smaller too) and the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower (same lens different branding) 7.5 mm fisheye is a spectacular lens for the price.
    I have the 14-140 (the newer version) and I'm not sure I would replace it with primes - supplement it, yes, but it is such a handy lens for those times when for whatever reason you don't want to be swapping lenses.

3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    That was a remarkable deal! Absolutely astonishingly good price - I'm jealous.

I would say that it's false economy to have replaced the 20mm/1.7 and 45/1.8 if you are planning on buying new primes. They're both significantly better lenses than the Sigma 19 and 30. The 60/2.8 is amazing, but probably a bit less versatile than the 45/1.8 was. The 20mm/1.7 is (in my opinion) one of the best lenses in any system, based on the compromise of size, speed, and optical quality. Try what you've got for a while longer, see what you like, what you don't like, and plan accordingly...I think you might find yourself buying back those lenses you sold if you plan on sticking with M4/3 in the future.

4. CaptureLights

CaptureLights Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 4, 2014
    Oh yes, btw, I've purchased the Panasonic DMW-GFC1 Fisheye Conversion Lens for the 14mm 2.5. Though i have yet to test it out, i will bring it to my vacation this year and see how much i use it. and if 28mm equi of 14mm is still not wide enough, then i will strongly consider the 9-18, and even the 7.5 fisheye for dedicated lens.

and i agree with you on the 14-140, its so useful, its just like the da 18-135 that i had in pentax, but slower, yet much longer reach.

I've actually thought about it a lot before selling both of these lens, but on the pentax, i was using the 70-200 for portrait, and 50 1.7 for overall walking around, thinking that m43 will still produce less dof shots than crop cameras under the same aperture, therefore, 1.7 vs 1.7, pentax would still be my choice of system to go if i had both for the same purpose.

But until recently, I've been thinking, the m43 system is such light system, its just very particle to use and bring with me everywhere, and if with an lens such 25 1.4, it could very much match, if not better the 50 that i use on the crop body, then it could be an really lens/camera to bring with me, yet still able to produce the dof i wanted with even more light.

edit: forgot to mention that i've just purchased an m42 adapter to m43, when it arrives, ill have an 50 1.4 takumar to try out. (i've also noticed the 45 1.8 i sold i very great lens, T.T)

5. I have a similar kit with the GH2 and the 14-140 (old style) zoom. I also have the f1.7/20, which you sold and the f2.8/12-35. This does create some lens length overlap, but the two other lenses are much faster than the 14-140. I use the 20mm indoors a lot, often with an external flash and big bounce card. It is a great "party" combination. (Use the back panel and zoom with your arms.) The f2.8/12-35 is a versatile lens and is fast enough for most low light situations. It is also crazy sharp and image-stabilized.

So why keep the old, slow, not-so-sharp 14-140? Because it the perfect walking around lens. Put it on, go for a walk and shoot whatever you want. It has good reach and width and its not too heavy. Keep it stopped down a bit and the results are very satisfactory.

I wouldn't replace 14-140. You won't get much for it anyway. Keep it and add a few primes as you see specialty needs for long, fast, wide or whatever characteristic you specifically need.