What would be your next lens after the lens kit?

• Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm f/2.8

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f/1.8

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
Of these, the 12-40 as it is what I want for my next lens :)

THAT said, I'd suggest a nice normal prime as a better option and while you have the 17/1.8 listed, I'm old school enough that I think there is little better than to take my camera and only my 25/1.7 out for a day. The discipline of shooting with a fast normal prime is something that will help all photographers get better.

So, I'd really say get the Olympus 25/1.8 instead. Read this for more info on why: Finally, Some m4/3 MTF Testing: 25mm Prime Lens Comparison
I would some what agree about the 25mm but a 17mm is not that far off being a normal I think the exact is something like 21mm or so I have read that 42mm on 35mm film is the mathematical normal. Either way I would say get the prime 99% of the time, I do think combined with looking at great photographers work a good length of time spent with a prime does help with your photography. Worth looking at where most photographs are taken but a lot of people end up using zooms at the two ends of the range.

Antonio Correia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
João, I have two of the lens mentioned
The 7-14 is pretty good. I do not use filters as they are in Photoshop. OK you can discuss this matter but it is an option. Some time ago I have been searching for a thread to filters in that lens but I gave up for the reason stated above (Photoshop)
The 12-40 is also pretty good.
As a side note: I am using both lenses on a Panasonic GX7 but now, I am thinking to get a refurbished Olympus OM-D EM 1.
Saúde ! :)

I own three of the standard zooms: 14-42, 12-32 and the 12-40 PRO. Should have bought the PRO lens earlier, it is my go to landscape lens. I have some fast primes (love the 42.5 f1.7) and the P7-14, but shoot the 12-40 more than pretty much all my other lenses combined (except the 100-400, that one also gets a lot of mileage)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My choice is the 17 f/1.8, for a fast indoor prime.
That would complement what you have now, and even a f/2.8 lens in the future.

Beyond that, as opposed to replacing, I would think about suplimenting.
Example a 12-40 f/2.8 would be a great GP lens, but it is bigger and heavier than your 12-50. So for some uses, you may want to take the smaller lighter 12-50 instead.
It is for that reason that I plan to keep my Panasonic 12-60, even if I buy the Olympus 12-100. The 12-60 is a smaller lighter lens, for when I want a smaller lighter kit to carry.
Same with the 14-42 EZ. That pancake lens makes a M10 almost as small as some P&S. This lens is on my short list of lens for that reason.

JoaoTFS

New to Mu-43
Real Name
João TF Santos
just to close this thread, I went with the 17mm, and is amazing, now 90% of my pictures are taken with this lens. Thank you everybody, until next time

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I can see the attraction of zoom lenses. They are useful. After my kit lenses I bought the P100-300, then the P14-140 and P7-14. The turning point was the PL15, a wonderful lens. My next prime will probably be the O75mm. I want fast lenses.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Not only do I want fast lenses, I want them to be small and affordable. That is why I have the P rather than PL 25 and 42.5mm f1.7’s.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom