What's missing in m43 system?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by uscrx, Aug 16, 2013.

1. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Long Telephoto Prime f2.8.

I can do portrait, landscape, & street with m-43.

I can't do sports and birds very well with m-43.

The way "focusing" is advancing, coupled with a right lens, I think sports and bird photography are within our grasp.

Why not 200mm f2.8 or 300mm f2.8?

Will it happen?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    200/2.8 is definitely feasible - just a matter of time I'd say. There will be a 150/2.8 from Panasonic within the year, so 200/2.8 or 300/4 are not unlikely follow-ups.

300/2.8 is a different story. There's no real size-advantage for m4/3 with telephoto lenses, so you're talking about a lens as big and heavy as Canon or Nikon's 300/2.8, which would sell at much lower volumes and thus require a higher price to be profitable. And I really don't think m4/3 shooters are ready for 2.5kg $5k+ lenses.

3. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Imagine sea of white L telephoto lenses at an NFL game... and a photog with m43 with smallish 200mm f2.8 lens. :2thumbs:

4. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    One of my fav long lenses on Canon FF was the 400 5.6 - not super bright, but it was light as hell (especially by DSLR standards), and IQ was pretty great. It took TC's really easily as well. I agree with dhazeghi - a 200/300 2.8/4 prime doesn't seem unlikely. I don't own any of the oly/panny long zooms, but I've played with them in store, and they are tiny compared to "big boy DSLR" zooms.

5. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Lens wise? Other than the long lenses you mentioned, not that much. It would be nice to have a good wide angle, non fish-eye prime.

I do wish more of the lenses, primes in particular, were weather-sealed. I'm sure I sound like a broken record to some of the members here, but yeah.

Also a good constant aperture f4 lens, or f2.8-f4 lens would be nice.

The other thing though is a professional support service like Canon and Nikon have. I wouldn't be surprised if Olympus ramped up their professional support with the release of their new allegedly-pro-level OM-D. Right now I use M4/3 for virtually all of my paid assignments, and it is a little worrisome thinking about what would happen if my OM-D dies. I have a backup cam, but still.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    A 150mm ƒ2.8 is on it's way from Panasonic :smile:

7. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I'd rather use a big DLSR to balance the big bazooka optics and save my wee M43 for small primes and intimate moments and off the hip shots.

8. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    17-35 f2 :)

Actually I'm in the camp of wanting an f4 zoom. Something like the Nikkor 24-120. So a 12-60 f4. Build it Oly or Pana. Just do it.

9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    What makes you think they'd be bazooka-sized? Especially if they were built specifically for m43 sensors? I imagine they'd much, much smaller than the Canon big whites.

10. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Correct me if I an wrong but the size advantage of a lens for a smaller sensor decreases as the focal length increases. At least I remember reading about that a long time ago. Could very well be remembering wrong.

11. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Any sources for this? I admit I don't know much about lens design/optics and whatnot.

12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I think that only applies if you want a tele lens with large aperture, i.e. 300mm f3.5 or something like that.

13. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I feel we are missing teleconverters. My 75 1.8 would become a 150 3.6 and a 150 2.8 would still be a pretty fast 300mm lens.

14. penners_r

penners_r Mu-43 Rookie

I agree a 1.5 or 2x tele- converter would be a great addition to the M43 range. It would allow us to use our primes and have that extra length in our camera bag/pocket for when we need to extend the range.

15. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Decreased absolutely. But there's still some advantage. There's a direct comparison with Canon lenses. The 400mm 2.8 LII is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the 800mm 5.6L (yep. I nailed the equivalence thingy. I'll let you guys argue that one...). About 30%. That's still a good saving in size and weight, although not as great as the wides would have.

Gordon

16. penners_r

penners_r Mu-43 Rookie

I've just thought of another feature. - split screen focusing! I have just returned from a day out using an OM10 and a E-P2, both fitted with OM lenses. I can tell you the OM10 was easier to use and more enjoyable. Is it possible to mimic this type of focusing?

17. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Well, assuming the EM-1's PDAF actually works this one will soon be available. Sadly, it's a bit out of my price range.

18. Azimuth

Azimuth Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Thornbury, Victoria
    All f/2.8 long telephoto solutions are expensive.

This might be a more realistic option.

19. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    As far as 300mm f2.8 lenses are concerned, if you're going to drop $5-6K on a lens, what's another $1000 for a dedicated camera body that can focus it rapidly and give you an nice reflex viewfinder to look through it without any lag - it's not like the extra size and weight of the body is significant compared to the 6 pounds that the lens itself weighs.

20. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    300 2.8 anytime people want to drop the coin - here ya go:

$7500 - zuiko-lens-ed-300mm-f2-8

These lenses are all going to be big. Adapted or not I doubt you will see any size difference.