What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by flash, Apr 19, 2011.

1. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Over at DPReview they’re asking the question “what do we call the small sensor interchangeable cameras?” and there’s a poll and discussion going on. One thing they’ve done is eliminate the popular name “EVIL” from the running as they say it doesn’t cover all the cameras in the group. I think that’s interesting, as it’s going to make it tough to keep up if a camera like, say the Sony SLT55 isn’t classed as a DSLR. How many categories are we going to end up with, exactly?

So what do you guys think? Do we even need a name, and if so, what should it be? Personally I like EVIL. Even more so because it upsets some with sensitive tastes and it’s sure to at least get your attention:smile:. I think it’s a fun name, just like the system. So convince me that there’s a better name than CSC (completely boring) for our serious little friends.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yeah, I saw that. Some of their suggested names were a bit odd.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    What does EVIL stand for?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Electronic Viewfinder Interchangable Lens

• Like Like x 1
  5. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Over at DPReview they’re asking the question “what do we call the small sensor interchangeable cameras?” and there’s a poll and discussion going on. One thing they’ve done is eliminate the popular name “EVIL” from the running as they say it doesn’t cover all the cameras in the group. I think that’s interesting, as it’s going to make it tough to keep up if a camera like, say the Sony SLT55 isn’t classed as a DSLR. How many categories are we going to end up with, exactly?

So what do you guys think? Do we even need a name, and if so, what should it be? Personally I like EVIL. Even more so because it upsets some with sensitive tastes and it’s sure to at least get your attention. I think it’s a fun name, just like the system. So convince me that there’s a better name than CSC (completely boring) for our serious little friends.

Gordon

CSC seems to be the way camera mags want to describe this group of cameras - I doubt if we will influence them at all.

CSC while boring, does describe the systems quite accurately, sorry! never did like EVIL but hey ho there you go.....:43::thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    I dislike all them acronyms, but to choose one I'd rather vote for ACRONYM

All Cameras Reminding Of Nostalgic Yore Models

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Hopefully, more than acronyms we could memorize!

Just think of how many different types of 2 1/4 in. cameras there was in the past: TLR, SLR, Three-lens stereographic reflex, twin-lens stereo+pan, square or pivoting backs, multiformat, rangefinder, rangefinder + focusing screen, monorail view, "field" bellows, folding bellows with RF no-tilt, folding with field movements, SLR with tilts, panoramic orthoscopic, panoramic revolving lens, panoramic full-circle, with or without shift, etc. (I know I miss some crossovers).

Today's trends seems to end that boring end of film era when everything had to be SLR or croak. It seems this is a period of discovery, where digital photography/filming allows for wild experimentation.

I wish there's no technical winner. Otherwise it will be like cars, eveybody ending up in a four-cylinder 5-door sedan all styled like a hammer iron. Though, they'll have to adapt soon for "greener" solutions, and there's already some crazy experimenting starting :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  8. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    The poll leader seems to be Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera (MILC?) A wonderfully snappy title.
    "Excuse me could I have a look at your range of Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras?"
    "Certainly step this way. As you can see we have quite a selection of Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras"
    "Thank you. I particularly like that particular Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera and perhaps you could tell me how it differs from other Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens cameras"................etc.

I liked E.V.I.L. but can see the problem. I voted for CSC (Twice as it happens, for some reason, it lets me do that)

9. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I like EVIL, I think this is catchy and draws questioning from those not yet in the know, helping spread the format. Anyway, those are *fun* cameras, so let the oversensitive whiners out, they're not fun to begin with.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  10. kai.e.g.

kai.e.g. Mu-43 Regular

My 2c:

I prefer "camera". I don't think any new acronym is needed at all. I don't even think m4/3rds, NEX, GRX, etc fall into the same category; they're all quite different and of course completely incompatible with each other. An common acronym implies a commonality, which in this case is nothing more than the absence of a mirror inside: something of trivial importance to most consumers; it's just an implementation detail that doesn't warrant a big deal being made of it.

The acronym "SLR" /was/ a big deal, because the single biggest thing it brought to the table was direct view-through-the-lens viewing, which was an important difference from TLR's and rangefinders.

This new crop of mirrorless cameras doesn't actually bring anything new to the table, other than a somewhat more compact size compared to SLR's. They don't deserve a special acronym, unless its based purely on that compactness angle.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    EVIL won't fly in the broader market, which is why DPR cut it out.

My issue about "MILC" is saying "M-I-L-C" (each letter separately) is hard. Saying "Milk" is easier, yet doesn't sound like a camera system.

In contrast saying DSLR (i.e. dee-ess-el-are) rolled off the tongue. I think the winner will be an acronym that is easy to sound out loud, not one that is actually a word itself (like EVIL or MILC(K))

CSC (compact system camera) might be the one, though I agree with others it's a bit boring, sadly. I actually prefer MSC over CSC (MSC=micro system camera). I also think ILC (interchangeable lens compact) isn't too bad, because saying "I-L-C" is pretty easy. Adding "M" in the front seems to make it harder to pronounce.

Let's just call everything micro-four-thirds! Naming should go to the early movers anyway, though I'm sure Wham-O didn't like every flying disc being called a "Frisbee."

12. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    No MILC today

Then, there's the tragic fate of MILC cameras sold with a supahzoom so why bother change? Are they still pure MILC when they don't interchange lenses? No: they become

Mirror interchangeable lens camera Obtaining Only One Superzoom Eventually
    in short - MOOOSE

else, ELK (Extra Lens Kaputt)

anyone decyphering CARIBOU without involving poor Celine D-z-ion gets my due respect.

:eek:fftopic:WordNet says a caribou is an arctic deer with large antlers in both sexes. It must hurt.

CREDITS
    Møøse tamer : Paul Pøølsen
    (etc.)

13. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    "MILC" is just awful, and besides, the "C" is too close to "F" on the keyboard, and would lead to all sorts of unfortunate typographical errors.

• Like Like x 2
  14. kai.e.g.

kai.e.g. Mu-43 Regular

I agree - of all the proposed acronyms, MILC is the one I dislike the most, for a several reasons, to which I've just added its proximity to MILF. On the plus side, there is no way that camera marketers will ever go with "MILC" anyway, so no matter how many votes it gets over at DPReview, it won't stick.

15. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    The UK mags seemed to be settled now on CSC - or Compact System Camera in full.

One name that has been used is Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Format, but it does not seem to be so common now. Its not really accurate as "format" does not tell you if its µ4/3 or APS-C, perhaps that is why its not used now........

16. kai.e.g.

kai.e.g. Mu-43 Regular

I think there is a much more comprehensive and certain reason why "Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Format" is not used, at least in acronym form, but I'm not going to tell you what it is in a public forum :wink:

17. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Lost me, but I think the "wink" is meant to be a clue ? As someone who is pure in mind and body, and helps old ladies across the road, (if they wan't to go or not) I do not grasp this.

18. kai.e.g.

kai.e.g. Mu-43 Regular

In that case, this will be one of the rare occasions where I will urge someone NOT to "Google it", as on this occasion ignorance is bliss (and I don't mean "ignorance" in a demeaning way by any means). It suffices to say that that acronym will never gain usage in the English-speaking world (beyond the usage it already has).

19. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    (successfully resisted an urge to google up what's above)

Funny how in France we tend to disregard acronyms, esp. imported, in favour of other nicks.

Maybe because our teachers, professors keep spraying those acronyms on their talk, usually shop-talk. So you don't get at all what's it all about, and their shop-talk gets even more boring. And they end up marrying each other and spending their summer vacations in teachers-only camps. I may be restrictyive here: it could be said of any French state-run administration. :rolleyes:

So the rest of us don't say a TLR, but a "type Rollei". Not an S.L.R., but just a reflex. And we assume it's a Dee-SLR unless otherwise specified, or presumed like in a past-century novel. Just like we don't say an RF35 but a Leica. Please note all these examples don't take more syllables than the spelled out acronyms.

20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)