1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What's everyone use for portable digital storage?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by (G), Jan 15, 2013.

1. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    I'm going on a 2-week trip and need to have some portable storage for photos, since I don't want to take a zillion SD cards for my OM-D.

I've got a netbook that's always worked great, but I'm paranoid enough that I want a backup for that -- something like a Hyperdrive.

But I've read bad reviews about the HyperDrive branded stuff.

So what's everyone else use?

(I should add that this is a trip to the middle of Denali National Park in Alaska... so any iCloud or online solutions are out, since there isn't even mobile service there!)

EDIT: I added this message below but I think many folks are missing it:

I need to clarify: I'm paranoid that the netbook drive will die, rendering the netbook useless. So I wanted a second stand-alone solution.

Also, I'm going to be in the middle-of-nowhere, Alaska. No hotels, no hostels, no computers, no wi-fi, no cell signal, no other travelers except my wife. Fun stuff.

2. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    Just use a 2.5 inch drive formatted to FAT32 as backup. Even better, 2 of them. One for backup and for archive.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
  4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Um, how many photos do you take? SD cards are cheap and plentiful. What I usually do just in case is take a (fast) USB card reader and USB hard drive. There's always a computer somewhere you can use for backups (hotels, hostels, fellow travelers...)

5. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    Netbook + portable hard drive. Netbook stays at hotel. Hard drive in day bag. SD cards dumped to both nightly.

Can survive loss of any one, including theft from hotel. Netbook also comes in handy to post pics using hotel wifi

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Never had a problem with my Hyperdrive(s). We back up to two of them at weddings and they're fantastic. I have one of the iPad ones and one of the standard ones.

On personal trips I backup to one of the Hyperdrives and to my iPad. Then I cull the rubbish off the iPad for space so I only have the selects on it.

Having said that. If you're taking the netbook why not just buy a portable drive and make a second copy to that via the netbook and carry it in your camera bag? Seems like a much cheaper way to the same result.

Gordon

7. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Thanks so far for the replies!

I need to clarify: I'm paranoid that the netbook drive will die, rendering the netbook useless. So I wanted a second stand-alone solution.

Also, I'm going to be in the middle-of-nowhere, Alaska. No hotels, no hostels, no computers, no other travelers except my wife. Fun stuff.

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    toshiba thrive, 10 inch (only available refurb/used at this point, shouldn't pay more than around $200 for it) - full size usb and sd slots mean you can plug your card in one, a drive in the other and transfer/save the files.

9. Epson and Canon used to make portable media storage devices that were standalone units and weren't too big. The biggest ones I remember had 80Gb hard drives. I'm not sure if they still make them with larger capacities or if tablets and netbooks have killed them off.

10. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you have a netbook already, just use portable drives... If you have wifi access you could always upload to a sharing site.

11. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    Can you upload them to Dropbox or Picasa?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    John, are you suggesting that you can plug the PHD into the camera? Or did you just not mention a processor necessary to operate the PHD?

13. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

cheap & redundant

On a recent vacation in Italy, my wife and I would nightly offload SD cards to a cheap but capable Toshiba laptop. I would then copy from the l/t to a portable (USB-powered) 1 GB Toshiba drive. (Not a plug for Toshiba, by the way, they just happened to offer some good on-sale prices.)

Oh, and we brought along a fistful of 16GB SD cards, never recycled them. We had images in three places. I had planned on a fourth backup - a Buffalo NAS, but could never get a reliable enough internet connection.

The weak link IS the laptop. I once had an Epson P3000. They're a brick, and slow, and confusing, but they work. Might be able to get one on eBay. See this reference for a P6000 -
    Epson P-6000 Multimedia Photo Viewer B31B191002 B&H Photo Video

14. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    You mentioned a netbook...I travel with an Acer android tablet and that is that I use for backups...

15. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Modern smartphones can tranfer files with OTG-cable from one usb source to another. Unfortunately it doesn't work with all hard drives due to their high power consumption, but it works like a charm with usb memory sticks and card readers. I'd just take one or two large (32 or 64gb) memory sticks and use them as backup.

16. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
  17. Jen726

Jen726 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 18, 2012
    California
    Jen
    I've heard good things about the Nexto Di photo storage devices and bought one for an upcoming trip but have not yet tried it.

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you're already bringing a netbook then I would just use an external teradrive. Same thing if you were bringing a laptop. I use the Seagate Expansion Drive myself, which is $100 for 1TB, and is very compact. Just throw that in your netbook bag.

19. AndyT

AndyT Mu-43 Regular

This looks like just what I was looking for !!!

I am off to Botswana / Namibia for 5 weeks in June and I had resigned myself to lugging a laptop and external HDD along.
    What I wanted was something that would connect to a Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet.
    The idea was to send the days images to the tablet, cull and rate the pics then send them to a portable drive.
    I had resigned myself to picking up a bunch of USB thumb drives and using the USB-OTG cable to transfer images ....

Hopefully this is the answer !!!!!

20. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    USB-OTG should also be compatible with a portable hard drive. Unless you need the streaming media capability of the wireless drive linked above, your otg cable and a small portable drive should be able to accomplish the same transfers for less $. If on the other hand you do want easier 2 way access to your media the wireless drive seems to be a nice option.