What's easier to operate than a G5?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RajC, Aug 29, 2013.

1. RajC

RajC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    On my drive home tonight I was thinking tonight about my G5 and its awful menu set-up.
    I realized my car is easier to operate than the G5.
    It got me wondering what else is easier to operate than the G5.
    I can start by saying every other non-Panny camera I've owned has been easier.

2. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I'm curious, what do you find difficult to do on your G5? I'm not doubting what you say, I am just curious as I've seen a number of people state they have problems with the G5.
  3. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Not Olympus for sure:biggrin:
  4. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    Sorry, don't share your feelings, I like the way my G5 works, but I came from a TZ4 and then a GF3.
    I think the menu system from Olympus is much more complicated (but has a higher degree of customization).

I don't know how experienced you are, maybe the G5 has to many options for you? So maybe a GF6 would be the better choice, or you can always resort to the blue iA-Button (Panasonics Auto-funktion is quite good).

And while shooting I don't need to dive into menus. Mostly I'm using A-mode, back-wheel is my aperture, the small switch behind the shutter release is exposure compensation. The up-button on the wheel handels ISO, I use one small focus point which I can move via the touchscreen and that's about it. These controls get me through most situations.
  5. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    As Hagane says, what more do you need...Set it to single point autofocus, aperture priority or shutter priority via the knob on top and job done for 99% of any possible needs...I never really go into the menus..
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I find Panny's menus to be reasonably clear and simple, compared to other cameras.

The comparison to your car really isn't valid, though. First, the interface with your car is 90% standard, and something you've grown up using. If you brought someone from, say, a hermit tribe in the Amazon who had never used a car before, and stuck them behind the wheel, they'd have no idea what to do, and there are no menus to help them figure it out.

Second, your car doesn't give you the kind of options for configuring how it works that a modern camera does. You don't get to choose one of 18 different suspension modes, half a dozen steering modes, whether the wipers turn on automatically when needed or leave it to you. There's no option to change what buttons, levers or knobs control the lights, wipers, radio and A/C. (And if you had those options, not only would the menus be more complicated, so would operating the car.)

Third, modern cars can be pretty dang complicated. Ferraris have a series of controls on the steering wheel to control various performance options. Trying to operate that without reading the manual isn't going to work. Check out the screen driven controls in modern luxury cars from Mercedes, BMW, and (OMG!) the newest from Cadillac. At best they'll leave you scratching your head, and worst they'll leave you scratching up your car when you drive off the road trying to operate them.

Rightly or wrongly, we expect our expensive cameras to have lots of flexibility. Manufacturers could eliminate customization functions and greatly simplify things, but then you (and I) would complain that you can't configure it the way you want to. Even the vaunted, "so simple to use a baby can do it" iPhone is simply largely because it's limited. You do things the way Apple decided you should do them, and if you don't like it that way, tough. Adapt to the phone. Don't expect it to adapt to you. Even then, many iPhone users don't fully use the capabilities of the device because a lot of the functionality is hidden, and until someone more familiar with the OS tells them, they don't even know those functions are there. Sticking with phones for a second, compare Android to iPhone. Android phones are more complicate to set up because they have much more flexibility in how you set them up. But I'm glad I have that flexibility, because I have mine set up the way I want it to work, not the way Steve Jobs though I should work.

I'm not suggesting Panasonic's menus couldn't be improved, but they're better than most. Have you tried actually reading the manual for your camera? It might really help. I'm not accusing you, since I don't know, but I'm amazed that so many people think they can pick up a device with 400 setup options, and not read the manual to understand how things work.
  7. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    This is getting old. If you don't like the camera (or entire format, as you've written in another thread) then move on. Check out the NEX system, or maybe the EOS-M; they're both good too. But it seems like you're sticking around just to stir up trouble and vent.

By the way, I've had a G1, G2, G3 and GF2, and didn't have your issues at all with any of them. I like the UI; it was easy to use, easy to configure, and all of these cameras took great pictures. I don't understand why a camera like the G5 should be so befuddling, and suspect there's a heavy dose of "operator error" in there somewhere. Maybe this kind of camera system just isn't for you. No criticism intended at all--some people just don't like fiddling with cameras and want them simply to take great pictures, full stop (my wife's like that!).
  8. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Todd Cleaver
    I love the G5 so much that I purchased a 2nd one after owning it for only two weeks! After spending some time learning the camera I was able to set it up in a way that worked for me. I have adjusted things a couple of times since then but have never had any difficulty in finding where to make the changes or found that I can't get it set the way that I want.

Everyone has their own preferences and the G5 sure works for me. I'm not sure that they could make a camera this versatile and make it much simpler. Different yes, but not simpler.

Just my opinion.
  9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Todd, I think you hit the nail on the head. If you want flexibility (in creative control, in customizing the UI) then you're going to get complexity. Olys give you more options, but of course this entails an increase in complexity. For many people, Panny hits the right balance between flexibility and simplicity.

It seems like some of the complainers would be better served by a simpler, P&S camera. There are some amazing P&Ss available now, like the RX100II, that produces images nearly indistinguishable from those of bigger and more complex cameras. There's no shame in preferring the simplicity of a P&S!

In fact, if you're not going to be changing lenses, I can't think of many reasons you'd be better off with a m43, NEX, or Fuji mirrorless camera than a high-end P&S.
  10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    A faucet is easier to operate.

So is a door knob.

Neither one takes good photos.
  11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Fully customizable buttons, feature richness, flexible -- and you want simple intuitive interface? Don't happen. I spend the last 5 years exactly working on this "problem" and it cannot be done.

You want simple - no problem but it is not flexible. You want flexible - no problem but it is not simple. You want a little flexibility but simple as possible - no problem but also not as flexible as you want and not nearly as simple as you would like.

If anything I think there is not enough flexibility but I'm not one to complain about complexity - only poorly written user manuals get my goat.

Oh, a pencil is pretty easy to operate and one could render an image with it but it is not an overly simple task.
  12. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I completely missed the point of this thread, OP is asking what's easier to use, duh!

Um, I find it easy to use a fork. Sometimes I use the toilet, that's pretty straight forward. I'm drinking out of a cup right now while it can be tricky for some, I find it relatively simple to operate, though you might need to reference the manual from time to time (spills!)
  13. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    My cell phone camera is very easy to operate. What's harder to operate than my cell phone?
  14. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    If you put the camera in Auto its easier than a Car.

Switch on = Turn the key
    Point it at something = Steering wheel
    Push the shutter button = Clutch -> Gear -> Accelerator (on an Automatic skip a few steps)
    Review = Combination of Steering, Breaking, Acceleration, Signaling to get to where you want to be while adhering to various rules/regulations so no one dies

I have to agree, these threads can be a little tiresome.

If you have specific issues, please itemise them and you'll find forum members more than willing to address them in a constructive manner.

Sweeping generalisations and inappropriate comparisons don't really provide any means for people to assist you.

Another alternative is to switch to a camera whose ergonomics and controls you are much happier with.
  15. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    On a lighter note, Les Grossman uses a G5

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4kbNkE8VzU"]Tropic Thunder: Player - YouTube[/ame]

16. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    So what's with all this G5 hate lately?
  17. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida

It would be wonderful if you shared these settings with us. :smile:
  18. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I don't really hate the G5; I'm only frustrated and disappointed with it. If I could get it to capture sharp jpegs straight out of the camera I would be happy.
  19. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Well, having shot with Canon's for years, and then getting an Olympus, I felt like the Olympus was speaking a foreign language. But then some very helpful people on this board gave me some suggestions as to how to set the camera up and things got much easier.

Then I bought a G5 and I felt like I had gone home. I find the G5 a joy to use. Much easier than my Olympus, but part of that may be the Olympus model I have. In some ways I still prefer the images I get from the Olympus, but I definitely prefer the UI of the G5 and I believe that with some more experience I'll be getting results I'm more pleased with on the G5. I'm going to try tweaking a few of the settings and see how it goes.

I think part of the recent hate for the G5 comes from people like me who bought them at fire sale prices and haven't learned how to get the most out of the cameras yet.
  20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Like I said before, have you read the manual?

Sharpening is adjustable. Kick it up one notch, and see if you like the results better. Or use all the i settings (e.g., iAuto), and see if you like that better.

So far, all I see is you complaining, but not actually trying anything, or telling us what you've already tried. If you're not willing to learn, then just buy a point and shoot and be done with all this complexity.