1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

what's different in different versions of ACR?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by pellicle, Apr 30, 2016.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

this question is specific to DNG converter and its options (didn't want to make the subject a paragraph)

I'm using an older version of Photoshop (CS actually) and it tops out at ACR 2.4 ... at work I use CS6 which has a later version of ACR.

I noted when I download the latest version of DNG converter (hadn't needed to upgrade in a while) that it allows me to pick which version of ACR to save my DNG file as.

So, aside from stuff like "lens corrections" database (and perhaps embedding properties) are there any differences in ACR as the DNG converter? I've tried making them 2.4 or 7.1 and my ACR opens them fine.

So does anyone know what's different?

2. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I have no idea what a complete list of differences would be but one big difference is the "Process" version. There have been three; 2003, 2010, and 2012 (current). The earliest ACR versions (v1.x, v2.x, ...?) only understood 2003. When 2010 was introduced ACR added this and retained the ability to work with 2003. The same happened with 2012. The newer 2012 Process version changed the way the old "Fill light" and "Recovery" controls worked renaming them "Shadows" and "Highlights" and shuffled around the old "Brightness" and "Contrast" controls into a newer (?) "Contrast" control and a new "Whites" control.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

uncertain what this means, but its a pointer in a direction ... I'll go have a peek. Thanks

that's good to know. For some reason I have barely touched that.

Ok, so things like lens corrections and whatnot would not be the differences ?

Thanks

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't know if their changelog as far back as v2 is online, but here's all the changes for the v8 releases: New features: Adobe Camera Raw versions 8.x

Might have to google for those older versions. Mostly it is camera support and some new processing features. The core should be similar.

Although I still don't know if the features are based on the software version or the file version.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    My understanding is when you save to an older ACR version, the DNG converter will make corrections the old ACR version didn't support (for example, distortion corrections) and save the file that way. So (1) the uncorrected raw data is not saved in the file (unless you select the Embed Raw File option) and (2) the saved file can be up to 3x bigger, and even bigger than that if you embed the raw file. I think you should consider it good luck that PS CS can open v7.1 files from your camera.