What's correct?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hilld, Jul 2, 2010.

1. hilld

hilld New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2009
    Southern Spain
    As I’m toying with the idea getting an E-P2, I have been reading as many reviews as are available. I was electrified to read the following sentence from one of the longer and more detailed of them:-

“Olympus Micro Four Thirds cameras can also (with an adaptor) use Panasonic/Leica Micro Four Third lenses.” [my emphasis]

I was ‘electrified’ because everything I have otherwise read left me with the impression that the Oly and Panny lenses for these micro four thirds cameras could be used interchangeably without the need for adaptors of any kind. If, as this reviewer writes, this is not the case, I would certainly scrap any idea of acquiring an E-P2 body, since I was planning to use the two Panny lenses I already have through buying a GF-1. ( I know, I know, why the hell am I thinking of getting a Pen why I already have the GF-1? Let’s not go there.)

Perhaps, as I suspect and hope, the reviewer has simply made a mistake. E-P1/P2 users please advise.
  2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Micro four third lens are a common mounting standard and thus interchangeable between the different micro four third cameras, four third lens require an adapter to enable them to be mounted on any micro four third camera.

• Like Like x 2
  3. hilld

hilld New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2009
    Southern Spain
    Many thanks, Barrie.
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Yup, nothing to worry about with the micro four thirds to micro four thirds.
  5. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I suspect they meant to say "Four Thirds" lenses, and the "Micro" in it is a mistake. With an adapter, you can use lenses made for the Four Thirds format, which use a reflex mirror. Doing away with the reflex mirror of a traditional SLR allows a small flange to sensor distance, thus the use of lenses from many systems.