What's better than 70-300mm?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sandraqu, May 21, 2010.

1. sandraqu

sandraqu New to Mu-43

May 13, 2010
    Hello :)

I have just taken the 70-300mm Olympus lens out for a spin (w/ EPL-1 via MMF-2 adapter), and well, I need more zoom. What lenses should I consider? FYI, I don't have a tripod, so MF was very difficult at that distance. Picture is cropped.

--EPL-1, 14-42mm, MMF-2 + 70-300mm
  2. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    More reach

I picked up a Nikon adapter off ebay and a 500mm f8 mirror lens. That gives me the equivalent to a 1,000mm lens.

It's MF only, but I've been getting some decent results. A tripod or monopod is a real good idea though.

3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    It is hard to handhold long lenses. You need to be at a high shutter speed. Using support can help even if you just lean the camera against a tree or a wall. But pretty much if you want to shoot good and long you need a tripod or monopod. Otherwise go wider.
  4. sandraqu

sandraqu New to Mu-43

May 13, 2010
    Dan, thanks for the reply. Could you specify which adapter? I'm not clear on which lenses are or aren't FourThirds. How do I tell?

What about the Sigma 600mm? --sandra
  5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Why exactly do you need more zoom? With 12mp, there's plenty of room to crop. Another suggestion is to get a nice ED spotting scope or even a telescope, especially if manual focus is in order.
  6. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I've used a 1000mm Meade F11 spotting scope with my Nikon SLR's. You need a big, heavy tripod to steady the 20x magnification. A 500/8 or 600/8 mirror lens will give lots of magnification.

Go for a "T" mount lens, and get a T-Mount adapter for your camera.

They are not the easiest lenses to use.