What's an AFFORDABLE, legacy lens for portraits and scenery?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by amberzombie, Nov 2, 2010.

1. amberzombie

amberzombie Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 28, 2010
    I'm after one that will work well with a GF1, shooting in JPEG.

I've read good things about Konica Hexanons, how about others? I'm totally new to SLR shooting so I don't even know where to start!

Ideally I'd be shooting portraits and scenery where I actually have time to think about the shot and frame it correctly. Reason why I want a legacy lens is just really to be able to learn how to focus manually and just find out more about photography in general - if you know what i mean.

2. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    There's a ton of choices in the affordable 50mm f1.4 - f1.8 range. I have the Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm f1.4, many people have Canon FD 50mm f1.4. Pop 50mm f1.4 into ebay and you'll see many choices. Many in the $25-$75 range.

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Affordable is relative. But zpierce is correct, you can get a lot of 50mm lenses for under $50 - I have the Pentax-M 50/1.4 and 50/1.7 lenses myself.

35mm - 45mm lenses will go for more ($100-$200+), especially in the f2.0 or faster category.

4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    You'll have to remember to include the m43 adapter to your affordable budget. :smile:

Recently got:
    Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 SSC (ebay - $75 w/ shipping)
    Canon FD adapter for m43 (ebay - $27)

So about $100.

I'm very happy with the quality of the 50mm SSC - it's my favorite manual focus lens so far. Excellent low light shooter. Only minor downside is the large size and heft (compared to native m43 lenses... then again, the Canon lens is not plastic!).

Here's some portrait shots (flickr) taken at a dinner with a few friends - very low light in that restaurant.

I've got a Konica Hexanon 40mm f/1.8 on the way, so we'll see how that performs (that I got lucky on... ebay steal @ $25 :eek: )

5. gummyrabbit

gummyrabbit Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    A new Nikon Nikkor 50mm F1/8 goes for $110 and you get a warranty!

6. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    I found the 1.7 in a market. £10, with another £25 for the adapter.

It's a seriously good lens.

7. amberzombie

amberzombie Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 28, 2010
    you are right and it was my mistake not to define what i meant by "affordable".

but looks like most people's idea of affordable is something under $100 which probably does fall into my category as well, so thanks everyone for the contribute!

I've always been someone who's been a little left of centre so never really considered Canon lenses but i guess i'd really have to check them out as well!

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I have to say, I love my 50/1.4 super takumar (not SMC, so it's cheaper). I don't use it much on m43's because I don't shoot much portrait, but something to consider as well.

9. kiynook

kiynook Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
  10. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

I had a bag full of old Canon FD lenses, added an adaptor from ebay at A$25 and "bob's your uncle". Check out the local "garage sales" as we call them in Australia. You should be able to easily find what you need. BUT be aware they operate manually for focussing and auto exposure on apeture prioritory only.
    Not really easy to use but fun if you've the time and inclination
    Cheers
    DUD

11. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    My very cheap legacy lenses are Helios 44 58mm f2, Industar 61 52mm f2,8 and a Olympus OM 50mm f1.8. I also have a a more expensive Nikon 85mm f1,8 but I find it too long on micro four thirds…

I'm currently selling my extra OM 50mm f1.8. There's also one example of this very lens in my gallery.

12. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Pentax also has a very durable and affordable collection

13. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    If you want to go really cheap then a 50/2 lens could be a good place to start ($10-$20). And if you don't like the focal length you are not out much.

14. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    I just started with MF 28, 50, 135, 200 mm to play, but am already sure I get used to 2-3 nice AF primes next to zooms covering "full" range, which focal lenghts indeed needs some playing around (but on M43 not much AF to select from yet).

15. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    There are so many options since just about every manufacturer made a good 50mm lens. Depends what you want in a portrait lens. Some lenses like the Konica 50/1.7 are cheap and high quality but its soooo sharp that it might not suit for portraits. I like something that can produce a nice smooth OOF background.

Personally, I like the Pentax Super Takumar 55/1.8, 50/1.4 and the Helios 44 58/2.

16. chon

chon New to Mu-43

Nov 5, 2010
    Hi folks, I have query similar to the OP's and would appreciate your advices.

Recently, to complement my panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake lens, I bought a konica AR 40mm f1.8, but find it too soft wide open and I dislike the somewhat harsh bokeh. I also got the AR 85mm f1.8, but its weight on top of the adapter unbalance the camera. I should have researched this more before buying, they're going back on ebay. :redface:

All I want now is a fast lens that is relatively sharp wide open with a bokeh that is nice on the eye and a focal length in the 35mm to 58mm range. And not too heavy if possible. Am I asking too much?

Would a super takumar 50 f1.4 fit the bill? Is there a non-radioactive version btw? I don't want to get into the UV de-yellowing phase if possible.

17. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    How would you see if you have this problem?
    - Or are you scared of problems that actually don't exist...

18. chon

chon New to Mu-43

Nov 5, 2010
    Anticipation, I see it listed as radioactive on camerapedia.org. :wink:

I just want to avoid that trouble.

19. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Not having your watch listed, doesn't mean it is safe...

20. chon

chon New to Mu-43

Nov 5, 2010
    The issue is not my watch nor safety, I just don't want to buy a lens that has a brownish back element due to 40 years of thorium decay and then be forced to buy a UV lamp or expose it to sunlight for weeks. If I pay $75+ for a lens, I want it to be clear out of the box.