1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What's a good program (free) to plot focal lengths, aperture, etc used?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by LowriderS10, May 14, 2014.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

I really want to find out what FLs, aperture, etc I've been using...I have ExposurePlot, but for some reason, it's not reading the FLs from my Olympus (it reads all other EXIF data, and it reads the FLs for my other cameras). I don't have Lightroom...soooo...beyond those two...what's a good freeware for figuring out what focal lengths and aperture I use most, etc?

Thanks!

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

If you're on Windows, 'Explorer' can show lots of attributes from EXIF; go to View, Details, and hit 'Add Columns' or right-click on the column header.

That will only show one directory/folder at a time, of course.

Another option would be EXIFTool (cross-platform, free, open-source); it can export columns of your choice to a text file (CSV or TAB delimited), and you can then load that into a spreadsheet, database, whatever.
    http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

I've used it to export all the info for my MP3 collection so I can search better; my command is:
    utils\exiftool.exe -config "utils\exiftool.conf" -r -ext mp3 -T -Title -Artist -Album -Directory -FileName -OriginalArtist -Composer -Genre -Duration# -Track -Year -DateTimeOriginal -OriginalReleaseYear -Comment -FileSize -FileType -FileCreateDate -FileModifyDate -RecordingTime -AudioBitrate -EncodedBy -Encoder -EncoderSettings -EncodingTime -LameMethod -LameVBRQuality -PictureType -SampleRate -Error "i:/Music/" > "I-music.tab"

Obviously the 'ext mp3' and the fields would be different, but this should give you a good idea.

Barry

• Like Like x 3
  3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, Barry! I'll try that when I get home! :)

Oh and I forgot to include that...I'm on a Win7 machine. :)

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    BTW, exiftool does weird things if some files are missing some columns; the solution is to put the following in the exiftool.conf file (make sure you specify the path to the file; see above)

%Image::ExifTool::UserDefined::Options = (
    MissingTagValue => '',
    );

It may be more of a problem with MP3s, but just in case...

Barry