1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What's a good pano head for m43 cameras?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tilling, Nov 1, 2010.

1. tilling

tilling Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 20, 2010
    There are a lot of options out there...Nodal Ninja (in several versions), Manfrotto, RRS...but the E-PL1 (or even my G1) is not an SLR and has smaller lenses and a lower flange distance.

I did a search, and maybe my keywords were wrong, but I didn't see much talk about this earlier.

So which ones tend to be good for m43 cameras? I'm kind of hoping that I can get away with something less pricey than the ones for pro DSLRs, but if that's not possible, I should know that too.

(I haven't done pano before. This is something I want to try out. Current kit: G1 with 20mm lens, but will probably expend that in the coming months.)

2. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
  3. tilling

tilling Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 20, 2010
    Is there a compatible nodal slide?
    Truthfully, I would think there would be good, fairly cheap nodal slides around (as opposed to 3-d pano heads), but I haven't definitely identified one. A lot of things look like they could be used as a nodal slide, but without checking it out I wouldn't want to assume.

4. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't know. I don't expect a lot for $17. If it works, I'm happy.

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I have a NN 3 from my 4/3 kit - not sure how it would work with micro 4/3. Must admit I rarely used it and have got reasonably good at single row hand-held. The dedicated pano head comes into its own with multi-row or mosaic panos with repeatable intervals.

You may want to check out the automated version called Epic 100 from Gigapan:

Gigapan Systems Online - Gigapan EPIC 100 Product Page

6. tilling

tilling Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 20, 2010
    Hadn't heard of that one. Nice!

7. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Alan
    I have a NN 3 which I use with my canon 5D not tried it with my GF1 but think it would work ok, looking at the link in an earlier post looks like it would work well as long as you don't mind just taking in landscape format, I prefer to take them in portait format you need to take more shots but at least you have a wider angel of view not cut bits off when you crop once stiched together.

8. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

9. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    it seems like this would work better with the lens pointed over the bubble level, so the offset from the tripod mount screw in the middle to the camera mount screw on the end would put you closer to the node of the lens