What's A Good Macro Lens for the EPL1?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by SCT, Jul 7, 2011.

1. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    Well, I got the kit 14-42mm that came with the EPL1. Then not so long after, the 40-150mm was added to the armory. Now I'm wanting to take my pictures up close and personal. I mean if you were to scrutinize something of precision by looking VERY close, it's damn near in your eye kinda of close. Well, maybe not that close. Clarity is, well maybe everyones, key factor.

So... what's a wonderful macro lens for the EPL1?

I may be interested in a delectable fisheye as well :)

2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Make it simple and affordable for a start: Olympus close-up lens (aka Macro Converter MCON-P01) is made to fit both your zooms, and will get you as close as filling the frame with a 1 x 1.5 in object.

When you'll master this, next step up is any good "legacy" (i.e. adapted) macro SLR lens, which can give you great results at a bargain. But you'll have also to think tripod, focusing rail, lighting...

• Like Like x 1
  3. grimloki

grimloki New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2011
    There are many ways to get macro photos, only one involves a dedicated lens.

http://www.photomacrography.net/ is a great site dedicated to macro photography.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    Pan Korop - yes, I have been eyeing both the fisheye FCON-P01 and macro MCON-P01 from Olympus. I'll look up the legacy macro lens, probably be my first adapted lens. I carry a tripod everywhere I go, btw. It's something I can't do without.

grimloki - I'm going to check out that website. I just took a glance at it just now, that moth, it's right up to it!

5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Lots of great legacy options, but if you want something with more electronic compatibility then the Zuiko 35mm and Zuiko 50mm macros (for Four-Thirds) are both excellent. The 35mm has the closest focusing distance while the 50mm is a little faster. Both are very sharp, but the 50mm is one of the sharpest lenses you'll ever see.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    Alan - I actually didn't see that thread. Those are some of the most stunning photographs! Nikkor, hmm...

Ned - I reviewed the Zuikos especially the 50mm. It's definately one of my options.

8. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The other bonus of the 50mm ZD is that is takes beautiful portrait shots as well.

The downside... it's a bit pricey, if all you want is macro photography.

9. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Duke
    I don't know why, but nobody's mentioned the PanaLeica 45 f2.8 OIS. It's a nice compact (for what it is) 1:1 non extending macro with optical stabilization, a little pricey but you can usually find them used for around $700.

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2 - please note that the only people who bash on it have never owned one. While there are a few people have returned one once bought, many, many people keep it, and fall innlove with it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Ain't it funny how this works......I'd say this is true across the board with most anything...:wink:

12. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    For me, I'm not sure how much macro photography I'm going to do so $700 is a bit steep.

I'm looking at either the Olympus macro adapter or an adapted prime macro. I'm leaning towards a prime because the Olympus adapter still only gets you 0.3x magnification.

The Nikkor shots in the other thread look great but I was hoping to photograph bugs and spiders, so I want something longer (~100mm). Currently watching ebay for good deals ...

13. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Actually higher magnifications are obtained with shorter focal length lenses at the expense of working distance.

14. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    to the op:

i have a om 50mm 3.5 olympus lens that does my macro work on my epl1

here's a recent effort:

View attachment 169257

i will be getting a auto 25mm extension tube soon so i can get 1:1 magnification (currently its only 1:2)

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Agreed, Sammy... but I believe what Dr. Pump was referring to was the need of a longer lens to give a safer working distance away from the bugs and spiders, to avoid spooking them... or maybe spooking the photographer. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  16. grimloki

grimloki New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2011
    If you don't mind spending about $150 to $200, the Kiron 105mm 2.8 macro is awesome. Its a 1:1 lens, so on the m43 cameras you get 2x mag cause of the crop factor. Read the glowing reviews.

• Like Like x 1
  17. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The older Tamron SP 90/2.5 with the adaptall mount is a great lens. It only focuses down to 1:2 without extension tubes though. The lens, adaptor and an off brand set of extension tubes will run about $150

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  18. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    What do you guys think about the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5 micro? I found some of those. But there's different ones with AI and non AI, so I'm not sure which would be better... Early 80's lens...

I guess this thread can be categorized as both a thread for the Native and Adapted Lens forum now :) All is good.

19. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The magnification ratio does not change due to crop factor. If you took a photo of an insect the measures 6mm in length, the image captured on an m43 sensor would measure 6mm long at 1:1 magnification, it would also measure 6mm long at 1:1 magnification if you used a 2 1/4" film camera. The crop factor is like the size of the playing field, the image size does not change, it just takes up more real estate on a smaller sensor..

20. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Duke
    I already recommended the PanaLeica 45, but the lens I have been using is the OM 50f2 auto macro and it is great! Can be found for around $450-500 and you can use it on different systems( Nex, canon). Since I'm using those systems as well that's why I chose the OM lens, it's nice that it's faster too ;)

Forgot to mention, it's a 1:2 macro, plenty close for me though.

• Like Like x 1