1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

whats a good hood for the Oly 45mm f1.8 lens ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dave, Oct 23, 2012.

1. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    Havent really looked for this much until recently, however now that im looking im not seeing a whole lot of options out there thus far. Whats the best hood and were do i find one? Thanks in advance.

2. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    I just found a metal one on eBay for 15 dollars and free shipping. I don't think there is any problem using a generic hood as long as its the right shape and thread size. I'm pretty sure I just looked on eBay for "Olympus 45mm 1.8 hood" and had a few to choose from.

3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    The JJC hood is fine. Check on ebay, but some dealers (at least here in Germany) also have it. EUR15.99.

4. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I found a metal screw-on hood at Amazon for just over $8 US and I love it. Matches the lens perfectly. I prefer the screw-on type, but Amazon also has a bayonet-mount model or around $14 US.

The metal screw-on hood is nice because you can stick a lens cap on the front and leave it attached to your lens all the time.

Here are the links to both....

metal screw-on hood

plastic bayonet mount hood

5. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I have the JJC hood, which works fine and looks good on the lens. It is plastic, but so is the lens itself...

6. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    Thanks guys great links found some i like ?

7. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8055/8117790829_0c4ed8b399_b.jpg">

Left one is a 37mm screw in which is the cheapest and made of metal. I had a filter between this and my 45. The filter got stuck in the filter ring (metal to plastic) and it was a bear getting it out. Just be careful not to overtighten. A 52mm lens cap fits on this.

Middle one is Olympus LH-40B which fits a little more secure than the JJC on the right. It also reverse mounts better than the JJC. Both are plastic.

8. zucchiniboy

zucchiniboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    I've got the metal screw in one. I like it okay - it does the trick in shading the front element and stays on nicely. Just a note - the silver is ever so slightly a different shade than the 45mm silver, and it looks slightly strange with a black uv filter in between, giving you a silver-black-differentsilver look. But for $9, can't complain really.

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA