1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What's a e-p5 case to carry the camera in my work backpack?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by kennyma, Aug 18, 2013.

1. kennyma

kennyma New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2013
    I would like to carry the E-P5 to and from work with me everyday and I don't want to carry a second bag for it. Can anyone recommend a good case to carry the camera with VF-4 and a 45mm f1.8 attached in my bag?

Thanks!

2. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I don't have an E-P5 but I do have an E-PL5 with a VF-2 as well as an OM-D, here are a couple options that work well for me, in my work messenger bag.
    Crumpler Haven - small or medium.
    You may need to go with the medium to accommdate the viewfinder 'hump' with the new larger VF-4. See for yourself if it fits. I use a small, and sometimes I wish I'd gotten the medium for the extra room, as the two are not that different in size. These will hold the camera in the center of insert lens down like a holster, and then have room on either side for two more lenses. In addition there are small pockets on the backface of insert to hold accessory items like memory cards, a spare battery, lenspen etc.
    Domke wrap 15x15.
    This will hold just the camera (+ lens and VF of course). and is what I bring along if I want to stick a camera in my commuter bag with nothing else.

3. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    You could try one of those cheapo camera bag inserts from eBay. They come in many sizes, and some of them are actually quite nicely built (at least the ones I've tried).

I've also heard people DIY their own versions of these inserts.

4. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Let me second the insert. If you really want to just carry the camera in backpack, the inserts are designed to do precisely that and they are much cheaper.

6. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
  7. mblevins

mblevins Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2013
    I use an optech pouch for my OMD with the 12-50 kit lens. Not sure about the EP-5, but optech lists the dimensions for other pouches.

8. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    This thread's a goldmine, thanks folks!
    I use the detachable insert from my passport sling:
    Lowepro | Passport Slingâ„¢
    But want something a bit more flexible that closes.

9. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    I always put it this cow leather half case on epl2 whether I'm using compuday 150 or mini trekker

Send from GT-I9300 with EP-L2 sometimes NX 300 and E3

Attached Files:

10. kennyma

kennyma New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2013
    Thanks everyone on the great suggestions. I'm mainly looking at a good insert that'll fit in my Timbuk2 Command and still leave room for a couple notebooks. I'll report back once I've found a good solution.

OP/TECH also seems like a good option.

11. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I use a Crumpler Haven medium for my E-P3, 17 1.8 and VF-4, all stuffed in my Timbuk2 messenger. I also have the extra small Snoop insert from Timbuk2 and it works great in a small or medium Timbuk2 messenger, with plenty of room to spare in the messenger for other crap.

12. blotto

blotto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I have a Domke 15x15 wrap that i use on my OM-D that then goes into my small Timbuk2 Messenger bag, with plenty of room left over for other stuff.

13. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    +1 on the Op/Tech pouches. The Digital-D Midsize holds my E-P3 with the PL 25 lens and its massive hood (the VF fits inside the lens hood).

14. kennyma

kennyma New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2013
    Thanks for mentioning the Snoop X-Small. I just ordered one and will let everyone know how it fits since there seems to be a lot of interest in this topic.

15. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    I will third the Crumpler Haven. I have the medium and I put it in my backpack every day. I carry my E-M5 and two spare lenses plus CPL and step up rings and a spare battery and SD Card.