What YouTubers are using...

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Clearly you're nobody if you don't have an A7S III.

- K

P.S. @RichardC, you better step up your gear game so you don't embarrass yourself when you shoot that tutorial you're planning.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I'm amazed that this guy got so many people to participate in the video. It was fun to watch, but no real surprises. Sony, Canon and Panasonic seem to rule the roost in video, and that was always my impression. But if we need to have some gear envy discussion on this thread, can we focus on the microphones for a change? :shakehead:

--Ken

Neon Birding

Mu-43 Veteran
Ah, what can be said about YouTube that has not already been said about mass marketing for social media. Has A.I. already got it's reach into changing the internet, to create whats popular and what's not?

YouTube does amazing this with video resolution turning out high quality 1080/30p with low bitrates and network bandwidth.

Zee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Surry Hills, Aus/ Baguio & Manila, Philippines
I'm amazed that this guy got so many people to participate in the video. It was fun to watch, but no real surprises. Sony, Canon and Panasonic seem to rule the roost in video, and that was always my impression. But if we need to have some gear envy discussion on this thread, can we focus on the microphones for a change? :shakehead:

--Ken
Thread grave dig, but you make an excellent point. If I were to get in to YT, I'd start by focusing on the mic. I've never stopped a video because video quality wasn't great, but as soon as the sound isn't of a decent standard, I'm out. If I can't hear you, I am missing whatever you're trying to communicate.

Curious if the OM-1 will be able to hook up to the webcam Beta (Thought it looks like my E-M1 will do the required job well enough). I've been charged with making some training videos for work, so all of us sudden this world is of interest to me...

Z...

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Thread grave dig, but you make an excellent point. If I were to get in to YT, I'd start by focusing on the mic. I've never stopped a video because video quality wasn't great, but as soon as the sound isn't of a decent standard, I'm out. If I can't hear you, I am missing whatever you're trying to communicate.

Curious if the OM-1 will be able to hook up to the webcam Beta (Thought it looks like my E-M1 will do the required job well enough). I've been charged with making some training videos for work, so all of us sudden this world is of interest to me...

Z...
I was being a bit sarcastic in my earlier post, but now that you mention it, I do pay attention to the audio in videos I am watching.

--Ken

desmoface

Mu-43 Regular
My dopey YouTube videos are more about the audio. Although, I wouldn’t mind upgrading from my old E-M5 Mk I for some 4k goodness.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Very interesting to see the setups.
Most of them are quite impressive, and to a novice, intimidating.

As @Replytoken said, I was interested in the audio setup, as that is my weak area.
Microphones are like other audio and camera gear. You can spend some and greatly improve your quality and you can spend a fortune for that special piece of equipment that almost nobody will notice what difference it makes. If you are looking for audio for when you are recording videos with your camera, there are a handful of good choices without breaking the bank (e.g. Rode, Deity). If you need a podcasting microphone, the same is true, but a different set of recommendations. If you are just needing a microphone for video conference meetings, there are also a number of affordable suggestions, but my favorite is the Samson Go Microphone because it is portable, affordable, unobtrusive and punches above its weight in SQ. And in a pinch you could use it for podcasting or recording, but there are better choices if you budget allows.

--Ken

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
Microphones are like other audio and camera gear. You can spend some and greatly improve your quality and you can spend a fortune for that special piece of equipment that almost nobody will notice what difference it makes. If you are looking for audio for when you are recording videos with your camera, there are a handful of good choices without breaking the bank (e.g. Rode, Deity). If you need a podcasting microphone, the same is true, but a different set of recommendations. If you are just needing a microphone for video conference meetings, there are also a number of affordable suggestions, but my favorite is the Samson Go Microphone because it is portable, affordable, unobtrusive and punches above its weight in SQ. And in a pinch you could use it for podcasting or recording, but there are better choices if you budget allows.

--Ken

Right now I am making videos with voice on PowerPoint slides for my class.

What do you think of the Samson Q2U for recording YouTube video?
My current mic is an inexpensive Tonor TC30 that I originally got for my wife to do family zoom calls.
I position just a couple inches from my mouth, so that I can reduce the gain and ambient noise.
It seems to be OK. But I am open to making it better, without spending a lot of money. Since the YT videos are for a volunteer (non paid) class.

Next step is to shoot some video clips, and figure out how to splice it into the PP video.
I was thinking of using a lavalier mic into the camera for that.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken

My current mic is an inexpensive Tonor TC30 that I originally got for my wife to do family zoom calls.
I position just a couple inches from my mouth, so that I can reduce the gain and ambient noise.
It seems to be OK. But I am open to making it better, without spending a lot of money. Since the YT videos are for a volunteer (non paid) class.

Next step is to shoot some video clips, and figure out how to splice it into the PP video.
I have not really tested mics. and I have not tried out either of the above, but from what I can see on Amazon, the Tenor has an absurdly high number of positive reviews and the Samson is on sale for over half off right now. To be honest, from all of the reviews and tests I have watched, there are few duds, and the room conditions and mic. location have had more impact than changing brands/models. If you buy on Amazon, you can try both and see if either is worth keeping as they offer free returns.

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken

Watch this review on the Tonor:

--Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom