What would you do?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by mikekiwi, Jan 15, 2011.

1. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    O.K., where do I start.... I'm a relatively new E-PL1 owner (2 months) and I'm quite happy with it. There are some upgrade opportunities in the near future and I'm a bit in doubt about what to do.
    The E-PL1 is my only camera at this moment, I just sold my Nikon D50 DSLR and lenses.

For the majority of the regulare streetshooting/landscapes, the E-PL1 will be perfectly suited. Low-light is a different situation, that's an are where a(ny) DSLR would outperform the E-PL1.

The coming years I want to try to develop myself more into “indoor-photography” : product-shoots, portraits and some macro and close-up stuff.
    I bought some studio-equipment: umbrella's, stands, reflectors and a few slave flashes, all “strobist-style” so no 'real' studio-lighting with modelling-lamp so my studio will only be lit with some minor lighting not to interfere with the WB.

Although this set-up is still not complete (things are on its way from Asia mostly), I'm a bit in doubt if the Oly can 'deliver' in these situations.

Current set:

E-PL1 with the 14-42 kitzoom
    Pentax SMC-A 50/1.7
    Tokina AT-X90/2.5 (pentax mount)
    Vivitar 28/2.0 (pentax mount)
    Konica Hexanon 40/1.8

These are the options I can think of, bearing in mind that my upgrade-budget will be not that high, about €300/$350:

1] Do nothing, first try making the most out of the current equipment and take into account that there will me more failed shots or it will take more attempts to get a good shot

2] VF-2 for the E-PL1, is not only valid indoors, but will help with MF outside as well. I'm still not sure how good it is in focussing in very low light

3] Buy better studio-equipment with modelling lamp

4] Pentax K10(0)D with kitzoom. Can use all K-mount MF-lenses I own and has the benefit of a very good OVF and faster AF and response.
    5] Panasonic G1: very good EVF, but a bit problematic in very low-light I've heard. Pro of course will be the interchangeabilty of all lenses

I maybe a but early in drawing conclusions, but these thoughts keep buzzing in my head, I hope your opinions can put my mind at ease...

Thanks for reading this and for sharing your thoughts and experiences :thumbup:

Mike

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Mike,
    One beautiful feature of digital is, instant gratification.
    I did years of large format 8 x 10 studio work.
    The single most important tool I used was the Polaroid.
    Even with good lights, the Polaroid showed more than the eye could guess and see.
    So, with your Pen and it's instant preview and live view, well it should be easy.
    My issue with all these Digicams is no PC connection.

You also said the future of a few years. Who knows what's coming down the road.

3. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    From what you are getting in terms of lighting, you really do not have any issues shooting indoors. You will control the light well. Also the epl-1 can wireless to a oly flash, giving you even more creative off camera control with the built in flash. So iso performance will not be a issue.

So I think you should see how the results are first.

VF-2 is really helpful for you macro with MF lenses. So that is something I would think about getting pretty soon.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You're missing a good tripod/head on your list. You identified a number of stationary targets - keeping the camera rock-steady will do as much as lights to increase IQ

5. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    OK, thanks for your replies!

I indeed already have a FL-36R for off-camera flash, so that part is covered and I forgot to mention the tripods I have. So those are present as well.

I don't think the amount of light will be the problem, but getting the focus right...

6. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
  7. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for pointing me to that topic. I have read it a while ago, switched it on...and later on switched it of as it didn't help me in a positive way with manual focus (to much zoomed in, hard to find the right area to focus on). It might be wise to try it again as I'm a bit more experienced in using the E-PL1 with mf-lenses now...

8. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Ah, MF. well you can push the magnifying glass button once you get initial focus, and fine tune your critical focus with the lcd. A friend does this with his epl-1 on the lcd with old mf lenses and he has great results with macro.

9. Dunkeld

Dunkeld Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    Mike. I have a Canon 30D SLR which stays at home if I'm shooting indoors or in low light conditions. My E-P2 gives me superior results. I'm sure an E-P1 would do the same.

10. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Yes, that's the way I do it now: focussing on the LCD-output and then confirm/finetune with magnified view. Only with the small AF-field you have to point very carefully before hitting the magnify-button

Thanks for this, in what occassions do you still use the 30D?

I have to be honest with you that the last few days some thoughts crossed my mind about showing up on a modelshoot with "only" the E-PL1 (and lighting gear of course). How to convince a model that the Pen is a serious camera and not "a" digicompact. That is one of the reasons the Pentax DSLR-option was put on my list: to show that I have a serious camera. But that would be because of my own insecurity I think...the results should be impressive, not the size of the camera.

11. Dunkeld

Dunkeld Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    Sports/action

Mike. I still use the Canon 30D for general stuff and any sport/action shots. I find that shooting in bursts with this camera is wonderful. That said, I'm off to Thailand in a few weeks and the 30D will be there too alongside the E-P2 and the Canon G10 compact. I might add that I bought a Canon adapter for the Pen so it takes all my Canon EF lenses.

I have to say, size matters sometimes in different situations. It seems turning up with a decent sized DSLR has had me tagged as a pro, which is OK in some situs. But, in street shooting mode the Pen and the Canon G10 get barely a glance. As you have implied, compared to a DSLR, the Pen might not have the same "oomph" amongst those who do not know any better.

Olympus E-P2; 14-42mm kit lens; Voigtlander 25mm F/0.9; Canon EF 50mm f/1.8; Canon EF 70-300mm; Canon EF fit Sigma 105mm F/2.8; Canon EF 17-85; Canon EF 28-135.