1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sinpig, Mar 10, 2011.

1. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    It's been less than a year since I found my love of photography, and now it's more like an obsesssion all I think about it's how much photography make me happy.

I have my G1 and some lenses (Panasonic 14-45mm, 20mm, 45-200mm, Konica 40mm and 135mm, Lensbaby) and I must say I love it, but I can keep on looking to find more lenses, more affordable ones.

Anyway a few weeks back, while at the local camera shop, I happen to lay hands on the Sony A55, and that was that, instant love affair.

So I'm wondering what will you do? will you buy the A55? It's my investment in the :43: format enough to make me reconsider? it's the Sony a good switch?

I know the Sony has a lot more options for lenses, flashes and accessories, but I'm having a real hard time convincing myself that I'm making a smart decision based in what it's for me a considerable investment.If I don't buy the Sony than I'll buy the Panny 14-140mm.

What's your take? :confused:

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    You said Instant Love.....
    that's your answer.... never question LOVE!

• Like Like x 2
  3. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Hahaha! I also said affair, I don't know if it's the real thing or just something shiny and new.

4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    My opinion is, nobody can tell you what to do, and certainly nobody should decide in your place. It's a difficult question, and more than half of the variables necessary to answer are simply yours, and we can't know them intimately enough.

What I can tell with a modicum of certainty is that Sony cameras are offspring and brainchildren of the once famed Minolta brand. They are known to make good images in competent hands, and they remain somewhat compatibles with much legacy hardware from the Minolta era, opening the doors to a thriving 2nd hand market.

So, switching from :43: to Sony won't impede the objective quality of your pictures.

But there are some subjective questions you need to answer before eventually deciding the big switch. For instance, will you take a bigger camera out as often as you did ? Will you haul without a second thought a much heavier bag ? Will the camera blend into your style of shooting (a bigger camera can elicit a reaction of shyness from passers by in streetshooting, whereas nobody will give a 2nd thought at a smaller :43: camera).

Etc.

Good luck, and let us know !

Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Sinpig,

This would alone would keep me clutching my µ43 gear, from DP review, which I would assume you've already read.

• Little control over high ISO noise reduction in JPEG mode ('auto' or 'weak')
    • Visible loss of detail at anything over ISO 400 in JPEG mode (noise reduction too strong)
    • Menu system a little confusing (hard to orientate yourself sometimes)
    • 'Ghosting' can be an issue in certain scenes (clipped specular highlights against dark backgrounds)
    • EVF slightly more prone to RGB 'tearing' than competitors

• Like Like x 1
  6. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    Will you take better pictures if you have a Sony than you would with a Panasonic?

• Like Like x 1
  7. eternallurker

eternallurker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2010
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but these sound like G.A.S symptoms.

So, in my "non-professional" opinion, let it cool for a couple of weeks (months?). Stop thinking about it. Stop doing comparisons, and reading internet reviews.
    Once the love dust settles down, you'll have a more reasonable answer of what you really need vs what you really want.

On the other hand, you might not be able to stop thinking about it, so the only solution is to just buy the thing and get it over with.
    I mean, How much is your mental health worth?

Can't you just buy the Sony without losing the :43: and figure it all out "on the road"?

This is one of those situations where being broke is somehow a good thing. It's easier not to lust for stuff I don't TRULY need, and it's easier to "detach" emotionally from things.
    :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    As someone who now owns the Sony (A33), previous Minolta (pre-Sony) and both Olympus and Panasonic m4/3s cameras, I can tell you that the image quality *is* superior on the Sony. There's a depth to the Sonys that just isn't quite there on the m4/3s. However, it's a very small difference and the m4/3s cameras do put out some VERY good images.

I would also disagree that the Sony has more accessories. As for lenses, you can choose from the 2 dozen Sony/Zeiss branded lenses, old Minolta Alpha mounts and a handful of Sigma and Tamron lenses. The m4/3s opens you up to just about ANY lens around.

Also, you can use other brands' flashes and accessories in some cases too.

If you have the m4/3 stuff and you're happy with it and you don't want to drop big bucks on new lenses, etc., stick with the m4/3s. If you're seeking the better quality and "growth" potential, consider the Sony, but alert your credit card company that you're going to be going crazy...

Best wishes,
    Jeremy

• Like Like x 1
  9. I am a philanderer. I am currently maintaining a relationship with approximately six cameras.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

sinpig will that camera shop let you take this Sony A55 out on a date or do you have to marry her/him? I've never been able to date a camera unless I happen to know someone who has said camera, but you never know.

The other option is that some camera stores have very fair return policies - you might be able to use it for two weeks and return it? Or go out on a day date?:biggrin:

Nic, you are so wild!:wink:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Sinpig, the A55 is a great camera. BUT, before you switch your whole system over, take a good hard look at a GH2. In terms of autofocus speed, its RIGHT there with the Sony (amazingly enough). Its very very close to as good in low light, but not quite. Its also very close in dynamic range, but not quite. BUT, its a bit smaller and lighter and you can use your m43 lenses with it, obviously. I had a brief affair with an A33 - she was hot, I was turned on, etc, etc, etc. But, after carrying on with her for a few days I realized I didn't have a real comfort level with her, just lust. And even a good all around zoom lens (the Zeiss 16-80) made her into a real pig. And I realized MANY of the lenses I'd want her to wear for any occasion would make her a real pig. The GH2 doesn't produce images with quite as much zip, but its REALLY REALLY close, and she can wear her good old comfortable lenses and is easy to carry around (as you know from her little sister who you've also been dating!).

I wouldn't try to talk you out of the Sony, but I'd really take a long look at the GH2 because it gets you about 99% of the way there with a lot less sacrifice in terms of lenses, weight, bulk, etc, etc, etc. She's playing hard to get right now, but call around, you can find her... Staying with m43 also allows you to add another smaller body someday, like a epl2 or gf2, and have two cameras of very different size and shooting styles that all work with the same basic set of lenses. There's a lot to be said for that.

After doing the same comparison, I ended up with a GH2. And a Nex, but that's another story - I don't seem to be monogamous where cameras are involved.

-Ray

• Like Like x 3
  12. Keys to owning more than one camera.

Don't be secretive; cameras are smart, they will find out if you having an affair with another model. Give each one a cool-sounding role description so they each feel important e.g. go-anywhere pocketable camera, travel camera, etc. Where possible I let mine share lenses to help them bond (I sometimes do the same memory cards but that is generally considered a bit taboo).

• Like Like x 2
  13. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    This is how lens fungus is spread. Make sure you use an appropriate lens cap for protection. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Always. Filters too, sometimes.

15. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  16. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Gotta be careful with the occasional lens flare.

You might have to do a metafile check to see from which camera it came from.

Sorry, just had to. :rofl: And now back to your scheduled program...

• Like Like x 2
  17. I'm getting the feeling that my cameras' integrity is being questioned. Granted they were all acquired on the rebound, but still...

Back on-topic. When comparing the number of available accessories for each system it is fine to say one is more complete or comprehensive than the other, but are you ever going to want/need the 1001 different widgets available?

• Like Like x 1
  18. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    I'm going to answer your subject-line question ("what would you do"). I would wait a few months and see if I could find a set of rational arguments for the switch and also to see if the lust is maintained. If either falters, then I'd stick with what I had.

Note that I switched from a Canon DSLR to micro 4/3. I rationalised it by calculating that the cost of my planned body upgrade and new prime lens would have been higher than the cost of switching. My wife's dislike of the DSLR bulk helped :).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    If you are not staving your children or dog, there are no further rational arguments. Have fun and gain experience.

• Like Like x 1
  20. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    It's such a hard decision, choosing between love and lust...

I was just reading the Popular Photography mag, and came upon they naming the A55 their "Camera of the Year" and I quote: "Sony ensured that any Alpha DSLR lens—and for that matter, most any Minolta Maxxum lens—will fit on the body. This puts it way ahead of ILC cameras, which still have very limited lens lines"
    That's something to consider and the whole reason why I'm tore between 2 lovers.

Now on the other hand, more lens options only gives me more reasons to spend my cash, and well, they are not necessarily compact. Which brings me back to the reason I bought into the m4/3 system, portability.

My husband offer to buy the Sony for my Bday, (I guess he figured the more cameras I have the less I notice his hunting/fishing/camping, hey it works for us) as an addition to my Panny, but as some of you have mention maybe the solution it's in buying the GH2 or the GH1 now that it's on sale.

And like many of you suggested let me take some time and reconsider my relationship with G1 before going all out with the Sony. The more I wait the higher the chances the price will drop.
    Thank you all for your input.