1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What would you do? Vivitar 285hv question

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by rklepper, May 7, 2013.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    So I picked up a set of the Vivi tar 285hv. They used to be the best bang for the buck around. What I got was a set of finicky flashes that are hard to get to fire in syn. I am thinking of selling them an picking up a set of yuongno flashes. Any thoughts?

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What exactly are you having problems with? what is your setup?

I strobe with manual flashes all the time on several systems. Yes... working without TTL does require a bit of extra work but I wouldn't have it any other way. Perhaps just some information and practice will set up your way.

If you want a fire and forget type flash, just save up and get something intended for the camera you are shooting. I like my FL-600R but no near the cycle time nor power of my other manual flashes.

3. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    RVA
    i've got a trusty pair in my aresenal as well. triggers/receivers could be weakest link. as stated above, what exactly are you having problems with and what is your current set-up?

4. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    While there are some advantages to using Yongnuo flashes vs. the 285HVs, absolutely none of those advantages have to do with sync timing. As everybody else is saying, look at your triggering method--that's the more likely culprit than the flash.

OTOH, over the 285HV, the YN-560II has an LCD display, all the power levels (including 1/8) from 1 to 1/128, a standard PC sync port (vs. the proprietary Vivitar one), has swivel as well as tilt, a repeating mode, a recycle beep, and built-in optical slave modes one of which can ignore a single preflash. Also, if you bought the 285HVs new, then you're getting cheap Chinese manufacture (Sakar) anyway, as Vivitar long stopped making them and just sold the rights to slap their name onto the unit a few years ago.

So, yeah, might be worth swapping if you wanted those features. If you're using Rf-602 or RF-603 triggers, the YN-560III comes with a receiver built in.

5. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    It was the triggering that was causing the issue. I tried things like the wein peanut and nothing worked. I found a system that works for me and works consistently. I love manual flash and that is what I wanted to be able to do. No real need for ttl. :)

Thanks