1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What would you do? Prime lens question.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by rklepper, Apr 20, 2013.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    So I have what I feel is a sufficient zoom collection. I have:

Panasonic 7-14
    Panasonic 12-35
    Panasonic 35-100
    Panasonic 100-300

I would like to get one prime lens. I am debating between the Panasonic 25 and the Panasonic 45. Or should I wait until the new 42.5 (43?) come out. I am a patient man and do not mind spending funds on the better of two options.

BTW I really am Luke warm to any of olympus offerings in Lenses.

Thanks

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The only thing the 45mm gives you is macro. Otherwise, it is the same speed as the 35-100, so you don't gain much. I am guessing you want AF, so the Voightlanders are out?

3. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I have been into photography for 50 years so have done more manual focusing than auto. I had never thought of the Voightlanders. You are correct about the 45 I can eliminate that one as what I hope to gain with a prime is the speed.

Thanks. More to think about.

4. zcd

zcd Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Look at the 45 1.8, not the 2.8 version, its a very nice (and fast) prime.

Also SLR magic is shipping a 25mm 0.95 manual prime for less than the voigtlanders - and I believe they are still offering a rebate if you buy before the end of the month

5. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Which 45 1.8 should I look at?

Also, how does the iq, build, etc... Of the slr magic stack up against the Voightlander?

6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The only 45mm 1.8 for m43 is Olympus, which I didn't mention earlier, as you said you were ambivalent towards those. The rendering of each is almost the same (if you search, spatulaboy did a comparison between the Oly, Pan, and Minolta MD 45mm). For AF lenses, the ones which people seem to put a category above for m43 is the Pana 25, and the Oly 75. Not sure if the latter is too much telephoto for what you normally shoot.

7. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I am really starting to lean toward the panasonic 25 and then wait for the new panasonic 43, or whatever it turns out to be. That should be a good duo.

Thanks for the input everyone. :)

8. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    You won't be disappointed with the Panasonic 25m. If you are looking for a fast and versatile lens, that is it. That is my goto lens and probably spends the most time on the camera. If I had the 12-35 that may not be the case, but for something fast that can be used indoors and at night, having something in the normal range would be preferred to the 45m.

I love the Olympus 45m... it is relatively inexpensive, fast and very small. However, the focal length is not what I would want as my only prime. I do have the 35-100 and don't use the lens as much as I used to.

My vote is go for the Pany 25m

9. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Same here. Panny 25 is a great lens. The only prime on my camera more than the 25 is the Oly 75.

10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    depending on what you shoot... the 75 is an outstanding lens....much more versatile than I thought it would be

Olympus 75/1.8 - a set on Flickr

that lens and the 25 are probably the 2 best lenses on the platform at the moment

K

11. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Great photos with the 75 Kevin. They certainly show just how sharp that lens is. I'm saving up.

12. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Why are you avoiding Olympus lenses?

I have lenses from both Panasonic and Olympus. I use a Panasonic and an Olympus body. The Olympus 45mm f1.8 is a stellar optic and the 75 f1.8 is already a legend. Check out the DXO lens scores for the 75mm.

Why are you reticent to even consider lenses of that high a caliber?
    Dan

13. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

In the 50 years you've been doing photography, certainly there is a focal length that "speaks" to you.

Get that one.

Any responses along the lines of "get this it is great" or "get that", is moot since everyone has their own preference.

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yes, "depending on what you shoot" is a major factor. I often like to shoot subjects that need a longer FL in bad light and/or where I want some background isolation - the 75/1.8 and 45/1.8 are stunning, and the 45/1.8 is a real bargain, relatively speaking. But if 50mm FX equivalent speaks to you, the 25/1.4 would be a great choice.

15. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Recently I added the 25 1.4 to my collection of primes and I love the length it's. great everyday lens and is super fast. I purchased a 9stop nd filter to take advantage of wide open in brighter lighting and I believe it is a necessity with the 25

16. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Great shots Kevin... I really need to put the 75m (and the 45m for that matter) on my camera more often. Since I bought the 35-100, I rarely use either, and can't decide if this is a good or bad thing.

17. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I think something in the 17-25 mm range is generally more versatile than the 45 for most folks. The 25 would give you two additional stops over the 12-35. The Oly 45 f1.8 is a terrific little lens but I think of it more as a very good portrait length. While it gives a little more subject isolation than the 35-100 at 45mm, I don't see that it gets you much you don't get with your current lenses.

18. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I ordered the panasonic 25. I just run into some situations where 2.8 is not enough. The light gathering abilities of 2.8 on m4/3 is much less than 2.8 on my full frame Canon.

19. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    The light gathering ability of f/2.8 is the same on any system.

20. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Not necessarily. The f number is determined by geometry. It is defined as the ratio of the focal length to the diameter of the entrance pupil o f the lens. It does not take into account the transmissivity of the glass.
    Extreme example: You put an ND filter on your f/1.4 lens and it will still give you the same depth of field and the same f number as without the filter.
    Cine lenses, like SLR Magic for example, have a T number which accounts for the light absorbed and reflected by the lens. Usually, the two numbers for the same lens would be close, but there can be a difference of half an f-stop or more.
    Rudy