1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What would you do? Camera size question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rklepper, Jan 3, 2014.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Okay so just a little background. I have shot with various cameras my whole life. Mot of that has been manual focus with SLRs. I have shot a variety of DSLRs over the last 8-10 years. I love photography, but the bulky cameras are just no longer feasible for me. Due to a childhood injury I have some severe nerve damage. I knew this day would come, but I am no longer able to handle most cameras. I bought a gh3 as it is really light and small compared to my previous Canon 5DIII.

my question is, I can handle the gh3 on a tripod, but not hand held. I can handle the new gx7 handheld. Would you keep a camera that you could only use on a tripod? Or should I sell it and get a second gx7?

2. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Sorry but this is a bit of an odd and useless question. You will only get one answer and is it that you should sell and get a GX7....

If finances are not an issue for you, it doesn't make a lot of sense for you to keep the GH3 if you cannot shoot it handheld. The GX7 will most likely do whatever the GH3 can do (and possibly do a better job at it) plus it has built in stabilization so that you can get better results using non-stabilized lenses with your shaky hands.

3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Well I am in a similar boat to you, Fybromyalgia that limits the weight I can comfortably carry; it all depends on how much you use a cam and tripod, if most of your work is done on a tripod and you prefer the GH3 as a cam then keep it. However if you either don't do much on a tripod or prefer the GX7 then swap. There is of course the option of other panasonic/Olympus cameras if you want a cam that is different to your GX7. I know how it feels I have a bag of Nikon/Fuji DSLR cameras and lenses that only get used in a studio as even the lighter ones are too much for a walk.

4. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    If it is a useless question then why bother with it. Move on.

• Like Like x 3
  5. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Yes it is frustrating to say the least. Love the gh3 but unfortunately I am afraid that having a camera that is limited to tripod use may not be sensible. This is going to take some thought.

thanks

6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Robert,

Sorry to hear aobut your health challenges. If there is not something specific about the GH3 that you need, like its video capabilities, then I would say go with the GX7. It can be used on a tripod if desired, and it gives you the freedom to shoot handheld. Alternately, if your budget allows, you could keep the GH3 and find a good deal on an E-PL5 or an E-PM2. They both cost less than the GX7, but deliver great IQ in a small body. If you are not in a rush, I would wait to see if the GX7 further drops in price. It has been holding at $749 at B&H, while some other items have had price bumps after recent reductions (Ricoh GR). The worst thing to do is make a decision in haste without giving it proper consideration.

Good luck (and good health),

--Ken

7. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    I think you want to stick with a camera that allows you to hand hold it.

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Robert, your question is understandable and reasonable. I'm another who would suggest getting the GX7 and selling the GH3 - as long as there's nothing about the GH3 that you really need (such as video ability). And if money is an issue, Ken's suggestion that you pick up an Olympus E-PL5 or E-PM2 on sale is an excellent idea. If you really want to keep the GH3 for tripod work, perhaps something like a Ricoh GR or a Sony RX100 would be better for carrying around. I hope this helps... and the best of luck to you.

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    How about a used/reconditioned OM-D for your second body? You would be able to keep one weather-resistant body in the lineup.

10. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I use both the GH3 and the GX7. I also shoot with a tripod a lot. The full articulation of the LCD on the GH3 makes is much better for tripod use than the single axis tilting GX7 LCD. While I use the GX7 on a tripod, I usually use it hand held. If you don't feel the GH3 will be used much it might not be a bad idea to sell it. It should be no problem considering the number of videographers who use the GH3.

11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

People don't give enough credit to packaging, comfort, and usability all contribute to the final enjoyment and in many ways the final photograph.

If you are uncomfortable, you will not enjoy. You do not enjoy, your photography will suffer.

We are lucky that the MFT system has so many bodies between Olympus and Panasonic in so many shapes, sizes, and layouts that you should have no problem finding what works for you. I would not even rule out the even smaller camera bodies such as the GM1 and PM-2. Try them all if possible and stick to what feels natural to you.

12. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I guess I know I will need to downgrade to the gx7. I am just frustrated that I have gotten to that point in my life where age is taking a toll on what I can do. I should just be happy that there are alternatives as capable as the gx7.

13. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    You are correct. I enjoy using a tripod when it is called for, but also enjoy shooting hand held when it is called for. Have been having less fun and I thin I takes a serious toll on the creativity.

14. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I don't think I'd want to keep a camera I only used on a tripod, unless I primarily shot from a tripod and my other camera was inferior. So, if you shoot mainly from a tripod and believe the GX7 is inferior, then keep the GH3. That's my take anyway. And I'm sorry to hear about your limitations. I too am getting older and know my limits are getting lower, but so far it hasn't affected my photography.

15. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    sorry to hear you have to go through this. i suffer from wrist damage, which is what first lead me to micro four thirds, i wouldn't mind having a tripod-only camera if it was a camera i really enjoyed and if i shot on a tripod. after all, you'll also have a hand-held camera (i am currently torn between the GX7 and the G6, which is even lighter). btw, can you handle the GH3 with a lighter lens - say a plastic pancake lens - or not at all?

16. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Video capabilities of the GX7 are supposed to be pretty much identical to those of the GH3, but with the addition of a few features one being focus peaking.

I feel Robert would be giving up nothing by changing over from the GH3 to the GX7.

17. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Well I think I am going to sell the GH3. I hate to as I love that camera, but I must face the facts. I will be giving up some with the GX-7, but it could be worse.

Thanks for all of your input.

Doc

18. HarryBinNNC

HarryBinNNC New to Mu-43

The GX7 video is crippled (for my use) due to the mandatory autoexposure (it automatically forces Auto-ISO even if you have both shutter and aperture in manual mode). If I didn't have a GH2 with full manual mode for video, I would have to get a GH3 myself. Outside of that little disappointment, I think the GX7 is a fantastic camera, and a beauty to boot. The GH2 is also a great little camera, and makes a good back-up, expecially if one is interested in doing serious video.

19. jarl

jarl Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    I don't know where or to what extent you are injured, but as a ME the first thing to come to mind is something like this:
    http://gearjones.com/2012/04/29/dougmon/

The idea would be to transfer some of the weight of the camera from the hand to the arm. I can imagine a couple cheap ways to do the same (i.e. monopod with spring-loaded ball head and some other bits).

Best luck!

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Could you shoot waist level using a flip up screen? I imagine you prefer the evf, but waist level would put all the weight on the strap and you could keep the gh3. You might want to see if you could get used to it.