1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What would you choose.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by scottz, Jun 15, 2013.

1. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    My anniversary is coming up and wife wants me to let her know what to get me. My choices at the moment are the Oly 60mm macro, 45mm 1.8 or an EP3 body. Currently I have an E-PL1, kit lens and PL25. I shoot a little bit of everything except street. Macro would be nice but if I go with the 45 I could add extension tubes. The 60 would work for portraits and I wonder if the 45 is enough of a change from the 25. But, I also wonder how much better the P3 is than my E-PL1.

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Mu-43 mobile app

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do you ever shoot in low light? If so then the E-P3 would add an AF assist light. My biggest complaint with my E-PLs is that they do not have one. Obviously Olympus realized it was a mistake as they added it to the E-PL3 and even the cheaper E-PM1. The other big thing the E-P3 has that the E-PL1 doesn't would be the touch screen, if that interests you. I doubt the IQ is much better since they have basically the same sensor.

I do not have the 60mm macro but it is next on my list. If you do a lot of close-up/macro shooting then it is the best choice. From all the reviews I have read it does as well as a regular lens as it does macro. One thing that I don't like about this lens is that it is rather large, well long at least.

The 45mm is a great lens! It is very sharp and super in low light. It is enough different from the 25mm to be useful. I have the Sigma 30mm and the difference between it and the 45mm is 30% or so. I would think it would be close to 40% maybe even 50% with the 25mm.

3. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Think of it this way: a new lens will change what you see when you photograph, a new camera will change how you take the photograph. If you're happy with the EPL1 then the new lens is the better plan. If you're hitting its limits (handling and autofocus) then the EP3 will be fun. My guess is, if you get the camera, you'll be wanting a new lens pretty soon too! :smile:

I started with the EPL1 and really liked it, but I was happy to move on (first to an EPM1 then to the EP3). But when I made the change I already had several lenses so the change in handling made a big difference for me. Cameras tend to be sexier, but lenses last longer . . . Either way, enjoy!

4. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    If you like macro, seriously consider the 60mm f/2.8. It really is quite something, and the world of macro is another dimension to photography entirely. Extension tubes do not work well on Micro Four Thirds because there is no electronic coupling. The 60mm lens can do a great deal of what the 45mm lens can do in any event, as it is quite capable at non-macro distances.

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^
    James, Kenko makes automatic extension tubes for m43, and there are other less expensive brands on Ebay, too. That said, I own and love the 60/2.8 Macro. :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

6. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Interesting - wasn't aware of that. Still, the 60mm f/2.8 has become my favourite lens since I bought it.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    For sure!
    I bought quite a few lenses for my E-PL2 before I upgraded to my E-PL5.

When I added the M. Zuiko 45mm/M. Zuiko 75mm/Leica 25mm to my collection, I really loved shooting with E-PL2 :smile:

8. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Thanks everyone, I ordered the 60mm. B&H was already out of stock but Cameta still had it listed in stock. Hope they do because I paid for 2 day shipping.

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Mu-43 mobile app