1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

what would you buy?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BAKatz, Oct 12, 2010.

1. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    OK..if you had to buy one accessory for the EPL1, with somewhat limited funds ( 500-600 $ +/- ), which would you pull the trigger on:confused :confused:

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

The magnificent Olympus electronic viewfinder and a nice lens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Limited funds?

$500 -$600? We have a very different definition of limited funds. I would go for the VF2 electronic viewfinder (can be found for around $200) and nice short tele MF lens with adapter like a 40/2 Summicron C, Rokkor 40/2 or maybe save a hundred and go with a VC Nokton 50/1.5.

4. elshaneo

elshaneo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm f/4-5.6 lens, the best ultra portable wide lens unless you already have it :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Ditto!

6. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    definitely get the VF2. I got one in the kit with my E-P2 and I find myself using it almost all the time now. Aside from that, I would want to get the 20/1.7 lens

• Like Like x 1
  7. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    The 20.7 lens. It's really that much better than the oly 17.

8. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Definitively get the VF-2 and to close down the mentioned budget of $ 500-600 get a nice minty smc-takumar 50MM macro with µ4/3 adapter.

Oh wait......I just did that, last week. Ain't GAS a wonderful addiction.:wink:

9. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Why do all of you recommend buying the viewfinder? If BAKatz never missed it, buying the electronic viewfinder would be rather senseless, for example. Do you know what BAKatz needs? I would not even dare to give any advice without knowing what BAKatz wants to shoot.

So, BAKatz, what do you like to shoot? What lenses do you have at the moment? It is virtually impossible to give any advice which fits to your needs without knowing at least that. It is not very helpful to know what others would buy, because it is you who shoots with your camera.

10. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    With the utmost respect.......But because the OP is asking about:"which one accessory for the EPL1 would you buy", I assumed he means just that. Otherwise he would have mentioned lens. Of course I can be wrong. If you buy the E-PL1 and obviously are "in" to the possibilities of the µ4/3 as a system I think the VF-2 is a very useful accessory which will help to explore the possibilities of this particular camera to the max. And there fore highly recommended.

Now....If the OP wants to correct me, in my assumption I gladly re-think my advise. BTW.....there is nothing wrong with your counter question in getting more info, so you can fine-tune your advise. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The OP asked what accessory WE would buy for the EPL-1 if we had had $500-$600 to spend. That seems pretty straight forward. They didn't ask what we would recommend for them. I think all of the responses are quite reasonable. If you feel you need to ask more questions to be comfortable in answering OP then go right ahead. If the OP doesn't want to hear us recommend the VF2 (which is generally thought of as a must-have accessory for the EPL-1) they are free to pop back and tell us that. This is a fun board with a great community. IMHO there's nothing wrong with a silly little "what would you do" question. If Olympus made a laser sight for the EPL-1 I might have recommended that.

Kevin

12. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    so maybe i was a little high on the 5-600$...the only lens i have is the 14-42 that came with the camera..by accessory i meant anything, VF-2,lenses, whatever..i'd like to stick with oly lenses for now and not mess with adaptors,etc....i've only been shooting for about 6 months (started with med. format film)...bought the EPL-1 a month ago..right now i find myself shooting anything and everything. right now the fall colors are really cool,but i find my lens limiting.........thanks for all the advice ( help)..i'll probably go with the VF-2 first,since i'm outside alot....then add another lens........ thanks again...love this site!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    okay then...

...so no manual lenses.

Then it would depend on what you want to shoot. If you don't know and are just looking for ideas then I would say that in my case I wanted a WA lens. I cut my teeth using fixed lens RF cameras with fast 40mm lenses. The Olympus 17/2.8 and the Panasonic 20/1.7 were both good options. I went with the Olympus as the Panasonic was out of my budget. I have been very happy with it. It's reasonably sharp and contrasty and can get pretty close and still focus. The EPL-1 seems to focus pretty quickly with it (better than with the 14-42 kit lens), couple that with the fact that the lens is TINY and it makes a really nice compact walk around kit.

I'm not a fan of the 14-42 kit lens but what exactly do you find limiting about it?

14. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, let's see. A good Leica adapter and the Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6.

Oh wait, I'm over budget. Oh well.

15. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    IMHO - The 20mm f1.7 is a "must" - you will use it and use it

low light, sunlight, indoors, outdoor, uphill and down dale, no flash

16. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Having had the 20mm f1.7 for two days I'm going to have to say Lumix G 20mm f1.7! I already loved my E-PL1 before I bought the new lens but now I'm REALLY ecstatic.

17. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    From a purely technical point of view you are right. Unfortunately this is not how human language works. By asking what we would buy, someone usually wants to know, what we would buy, if we were in his stead. I still think, that in order to give answers which help BAKatz most, we need to know more than BAKatz wrote in the opening post.

18. briandforever

briandforever Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2010
    stuffs that im gonna buy if you give me 500-600$:

- 17mm lens
    - nikon to m43 adaptor
    - evf2
    - spare battery

:)

• Like Like x 1
  19. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    The more I use my E-P1, the more I wish I had a viewfinder. I'm most likely gonna pick up a used E-P2 for that sole reason.

20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    VF2.