what would you buy?

BAKatz

Mu-43 Veteran
OK..if you had to buy one accessory for the EPL1, with somewhat limited funds ( 500-600 $ +/- ), which would you pull the trigger on:confused :confused:

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Limited funds?

$500 -$600? We have a very different definition of limited funds. I would go for the VF2 electronic viewfinder (can be found for around $200) and nice short tele MF lens with adapter like a 40/2 Summicron C, Rokkor 40/2 or maybe save a hundred and go with a VC Nokton 50/1.5.

JoeFriday

Mu-43 Regular
definitely get the VF2. I got one in the kit with my E-P2 and I find myself using it almost all the time now. Aside from that, I would want to get the 20/1.7 lens

Malo1961

Mu-43 Regular
Definitively get the VF-2 and to close down the mentioned budget of $ 500-600 get a nice minty smc-takumar 50MM macro with µ4/3 adapter.

Oh wait......I just did that, last week. Ain't GAS a wonderful addiction.:wink:

pictor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Why do all of you recommend buying the viewfinder? If BAKatz never missed it, buying the electronic viewfinder would be rather senseless, for example. Do you know what BAKatz needs? I would not even dare to give any advice without knowing what BAKatz wants to shoot.

So, BAKatz, what do you like to shoot? What lenses do you have at the moment? It is virtually impossible to give any advice which fits to your needs without knowing at least that. It is not very helpful to know what others would buy, because it is you who shoots with your camera.

Malo1961

Mu-43 Regular
Why do all of you recommend buying the viewfinder? If BAKatz never missed it, buying the electronic viewfinder would be rather senseless, for example. Do you know what BAKatz needs? I would not even dare to give any advice without knowing what BAKatz wants to shoot.
With the utmost respect.......But because the OP is asking about:"which one accessory for the EPL1 would you buy", I assumed he means just that. Otherwise he would have mentioned lens. Of course I can be wrong. If you buy the E-PL1 and obviously are "in" to the possibilities of the µ4/3 as a system I think the VF-2 is a very useful accessory which will help to explore the possibilities of this particular camera to the max. And there fore highly recommended.

Now....If the OP wants to correct me, in my assumption I gladly re-think my advise. BTW.....there is nothing wrong with your counter question in getting more info, so you can fine-tune your advise. :thumbup:

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The OP asked what accessory WE would buy for the EPL-1 if we had had $500-$600 to spend. That seems pretty straight forward. They didn't ask what we would recommend for them. I think all of the responses are quite reasonable. If you feel you need to ask more questions to be comfortable in answering OP then go right ahead. If the OP doesn't want to hear us recommend the VF2 (which is generally thought of as a must-have accessory for the EPL-1) they are free to pop back and tell us that. This is a fun board with a great community. IMHO there's nothing wrong with a silly little "what would you do" question. If Olympus made a laser sight for the EPL-1 I might have recommended that.

Kevin

BAKatz

Mu-43 Veteran
so maybe i was a little high on the 5-600$...the only lens i have is the 14-42 that came with the camera..by accessory i meant anything, VF-2,lenses, whatever..i'd like to stick with oly lenses for now and not mess with adaptors,etc....i've only been shooting for about 6 months (started with med. format film)...bought the EPL-1 a month ago..right now i find myself shooting anything and everything. right now the fall colors are really cool,but i find my lens limiting.........thanks for all the advice ( help)..i'll probably go with the VF-2 first,since i'm outside alot....then add another lens........ thanks again...love this site!!!!!!!!

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
okay then...

...so no manual lenses.

Then it would depend on what you want to shoot. If you don't know and are just looking for ideas then I would say that in my case I wanted a WA lens. I cut my teeth using fixed lens RF cameras with fast 40mm lenses. The Olympus 17/2.8 and the Panasonic 20/1.7 were both good options. I went with the Olympus as the Panasonic was out of my budget. I have been very happy with it. It's reasonably sharp and contrasty and can get pretty close and still focus. The EPL-1 seems to focus pretty quickly with it (better than with the 14-42 kit lens), couple that with the fact that the lens is TINY and it makes a really nice compact walk around kit.

I'm not a fan of the 14-42 kit lens but what exactly do you find limiting about it?

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well, let's see. A good Leica adapter and the Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6.

Oh wait, I'm over budget. Oh well.

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
IMHO - The 20mm f1.7 is a "must" - you will use it and use it

low light, sunlight, indoors, outdoor, uphill and down dale, no flash

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Having had the 20mm f1.7 for two days I'm going to have to say Lumix G 20mm f1.7! I already loved my E-PL1 before I bought the new lens but now I'm REALLY ecstatic.

pictor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
With the utmost respect.......But because the OP is asking about:"which one accessory for the EPL1 would you buy", I assumed he means just that.
The OP asked what accessory WE would buy for the EPL-1 if we had had $500-$600 to spend.
From a purely technical point of view you are right. Unfortunately this is not how human language works. By asking what we would buy, someone usually wants to know, what we would buy, if we were in his stead. I still think, that in order to give answers which help BAKatz most, we need to know more than BAKatz wrote in the opening post.

briandforever

Mu-43 Regular
stuffs that im gonna buy if you give me 500-600$:

- 17mm lens
- nikon to m43 adaptor
- evf2
- spare battery

:)

dulaney22

Mu-43 Regular
The more I use my E-P1, the more I wish I had a viewfinder. I'm most likely gonna pick up a used E-P2 for that sole reason.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom