What would you bring to a camping trip?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by timothysoong, Aug 18, 2012.

1. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Well, I haven't been taking photos quite a while now. But recently my colleagues were planning to go for a camping trip and they had no photographer in mind, so knowing I have cameras they'd asked me for help.

I have the following gears:
    GF2 & GH2
    14mm f2.5, 25mm f1.4, 45mm f1.8, 14-45mm
    Flash
    Tripod

I was planning to lend out my GF2 and the 14-45mm to a friend who can take photos and ill consider on which prime lens to take with me for my gh2 or might as well bring em all, or let him have my 14mm prime instead.

Should I get any filters here? They're gonna be lots of shots of people playing games, dancing, more people shots than scenery. I doubt they'd want any scenery pics tho.

And any other suggestions, as you may know im still a newbie in photography but well i know more than my colleagues.

Help me out!

Thanks
    Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. TDP

TDP Guest

Camping? Ditch the tripod and use a hiking stick with a camera mount and/or a beanbag. Take the 14 and maybe the flash and leave the rest home.

Oh and take bug spray.

3. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Do i need the take 25mm f1.4 for some
    more bokeh shots?? :\

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If you do not have access to electricity, I recommend that you bring lots of batteries for each body. I really like my E-PL2, but its battery life (approx. 250 shots) is frustrating compared with my Nikon D300 (over 1,000 shots).

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  5. RedSnapper

RedSnapper Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2010
    Tent.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    PL25mm because one should never leave home without it :) ....oh, and because it's a freakin' great lens covering a very versatile focal length...and could also come in super handy for low light shots at both dawn and dusk, or even very low light by the camp fire in the evenings.

Also....the 14-45 because it's a fantastic all-round lens that will let you shoot both wide and long.

2 lens kit that could cover just about most of your basic shooting needs I think.

Have fun

• Like Like x 1
  7. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    but i have to lend my gf2 out to a friend, and as a total newbie i dont think he'd be able to shoot with well with a prime lens, so i thought i might as well let him use the 14-45mm and ill take my prime sets with me. or you think i should lend him the gf2 and the 14mm instead??

thanks again

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the zoom for your friend. Anytime I hand my camera to someone who isn't a photographer and it has a prime lens attached they get confused. Instead of just zooming with their feet, they just take poorly composed shots because they don't want to move. Zooms are great tools for some people.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hey DX....Luke's suggestion is correct I believe. If you are going to give your 'non photographer' friend the GF2 then stick the 14-45 on it, a zoom lens is something they may be more familiar with and have more fun with too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    But make sure you keep it away from your camera gear, especially if it is DEET based. That stuff will melt many types of plastic.

11. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Bring all the lenses, they are not that heavy. You might not use all of them but at least if there is a need, you know it's there :)

Happy traiils!

• Like Like x 1
  12. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Unless photography is your primary objective, pack light.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tanMu4358

tanMu4358 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    I often bring a zoom for the versatility the camp which I go almost every month with my sons (wife never likes camping).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    If you're certain that you're going to loan out the GF2 body then, yes, put the 14-45 on it for your newbie friend. Tell him to keep it on intelligent auto and remind him not to shoot with the sun behind his subjects, to hold still when he's actually taking the shot and to remember to half-press the shutter-release button and to give the auto-focus time to work. Most newbies won't be able to absorb much more than that on any initial photo outing.

Keep the primes for yourself and have at it. But I'm not sure I'd bother with more than two lenses if I were you. 14 and 25 should do it. 14 for landscapes and group shots. The 25 for low light and everything else.

• Like Like x 1
  15. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    yeah i got the point. so ill keep my 45mm/1.8 at home then? or do i bring it along in case i need it. i doubt i will though..

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I hate chemical sprays. I just bring a bug jacket. No-see-um netting with drawstring closures to cover my entire torso, along with a mosquito headnet attached as a hood so it can be left up to cover your entire head and face, or put down. So much more comfortable in the long term (when you aren't getting bit at all) especially if you're deep in the bush, durable, lasts forever instead of for hours, and and doesn't stink like hell and make all the wildlife run away from you. They also have bug pants for those who wear shorts... I don't, so I don't worry about that part.

Only $20 at my local outfitter. Probably one of the best investments I have ever made into camping gear. Bear in mind though that I'm a hardcore bush guy. I don't stick to trails and all that sissy BS. ;)

17. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Unless you are backpacking and every gram counts, take the whole kit and enjoy. If a lens is at home, you can't use it if you want it. If you take it and leave it in the car, it is available if you decide you need it. The size of the m43 kit is so small, it is easy to take with you - a huge advantage over other kits.

18. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Ned, you certainly must be a scary presence in the bush!

19. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I camp/fly fish/hike/back pack, etc. a couple times a month, every month. Unless you are backpacking, I would take all of your lenses. Minimum for me is a 40 - 150 and that is a little short for some wildlife, longer if you are out in places like the American West or focused on birds. A short zoom. A prime like a 14 - 20mm. A macro if you are interested in small bugs and flowers. A travel tripod.

If backpacking or in a minimalist mode I would still take similar gear: a short zoom or 14 - 20mm prime and a 40 - 150. The problem with relying on primes in the backcountry for anything other than landscapes is that you often can't zoom with your feet. Either you won't have time or you will scare off you subjects.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    You can certainly bring the 45/1.8 if you insist. But I don't think you'll need it. The difference between 25 and 45mm isn't so big that you can't make up the difference by walking or cropping a bit. And the 25 still has you covered in low light.

Even with only two primes in your bag, take care when changing lenses. That's take care as in stay out of the wind to prevent flying dirt and dust getting on your sensor. If you have a tent pitched, change the lens inside the tent. If you have to change lenses out in the open, have friends stand around you. Make sure you get the rear lens cap back on as quickly as possible.

And make sure you bring something like a Giotto rocket blower just in case something gets on the sensor and you can't get it off with the camera's self-cleaning vibrator. You should also toss a lens-cleaning cloth and even a lens-cleaning pen into the bag. All of this stuff is ultra-cheap.

Did we mention extra batteries? Make sure the batteries in the cameras are fully charged and that you have at least a second fully charged back-up battery for each. I'm assuming the hike will be longer than one day.

Good luck and have fun. You'll be glad you have pictures of the hike decades from now.

• Like Like x 1