What would the *smart* next camera be for Oly with m4/3? With 4/3?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CarlB, Nov 29, 2011.

1. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Many of us have our desires to see in a next camera from Olympus. Try to push those aside a bit, and debate what would be *smart* for Olympus to do for their next flagship camera in a) m4/3, b) 4/3?

Sensor - beg Panasonic for the latest/greatest while they work to convince the new CEO to invest in a new sensor?
    Finally include a built-in EVF but without the damned "dslr bump-and-feel?"
    Offer a sealed m4/3? (Available lenses would be an issue...)
    Embrace enthusiasts with physical dials for aperture, speed, ISO?

Oly really has to make ever more compelling cameras, that differentiate themselves from Canikon/Sony, and even Panasonic. What could they *really* do next to continue doing so?
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My suggestion would be work on improving the video capabilities of their best camera{all cameras}. Thus better compete with Panasonic and even Nikon and Canon. Many don't like video in their photography cameras but many more do and that is very popular right now. I am currently shopping and Panasonic has the video edge. Funny thing is a friend's Oly Pen is the reason why I am going m4/3 but I will most likely buy a Panasonic because I do video too.
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sensor is the most important thing, I think most Olympus users would consider the other options secondary.
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    If they are considering making a "pro" camera, don't even include a video option. Optimize every aspect of it for capturing stills, especially the sensor. all the other models are strong.....continue to fine-tune.
  5. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I just hope the camera division survives. Otherwise my whole m4/3 investment is a dead end. I don't want to put Oly lenses on Pany bodies. You don't expect to get much resale out of 4/3 due to the steep innovation curve and It won't kill me to use the EP3 for even three years but I usually like to trade up at least every two. Oly goes belly up and I won't be 'trading' anything. I'll have to start all over. :eek:
  6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    1 - Product differentiation. The three Pen mods at the moment are to similar in terms of features and form and in a lot of ways a prospective buyer new to MFT would struggle to understand why the EP3 costs twice as much as the EPM1... I think it would make marketing sense to have a more distinct three-tiered product line.

2 - Sensor. The 12pm sensor is way out of date, and is the only aspect of the current gen bodies that gets consistently hammered in reviews. It doesn't matter if it's 'good enough' - the market doesn't care for good enough. It needs to be better.
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I would like to see Olympus divorce themselves from using Panasonic sensors to further differentiate the two brands and provide another element of choice. The Panasonic sensors are good up to a point where I start to notice their limitations. I generally like the look they give but not in all circumstances. I also don't see access to the latest 16MP G3 sensor as the ultimate answer since it appears to have improved high ISO performance but not low ISO performance.