'What Would Set Olympus Apart From Panasonic & NEX'

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RT_Panther, Jul 10, 2011.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    A high performance CCD sensor....:cool:
    -True it would suck at video (but I don't use cameras for video)
    -True high ISO performance would roughly remain unchanged from where it's at now...

BUT....Overall IQ would blow the doors off any Panasonic/Sony CMOS based sensor....

(Note: The Leica M9 uses a Kodak CCD sensor)

2. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Does it really matter that much if it's ccd or cmos? Everything I've heard says cmos is the future (and present) and the only cam I ever had with a ccd was my old Nikon D50.

Note: The 5d2, 1ds3,1d4, d3x, d3s, a900 use CMOS, and Kodak no longer makes sensors :)

3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What makes you think that Kodak no longer makes CCD sensors? They are found in current models of cameras including Leica (m9' s2) and Hasselblad.

4. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yep.
    Overall image IQ of the CCD cameras is IMHO, much better than CMOS....

The problem (outside CCD being more expensive to make) is that everyone wants video capability in cameras & hence we now have CMOS....

6. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
  7. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    What would set them apart would be to build a better camera. I just looked at samples on dpreview and at base ISO's the E-P3 looked similar to the G3 and the G3 looked better at higher ISO's.

The MSRP for the E-P3 is high. I think they missed the boat on this second wave of M43 cameras.

8. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Not trying to be rude, just genuinely curious, but what do you find better? Like I said, the only camera with a CCD that I've used was the Nikon D50 and it was fine, certainly not better than a 20D or other equivalent camera of the time.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    IMHO,
    There's not much of a high ISO performance difference between the E-P3 and my E-PL2.

10. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    LOL :rofl:

11. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Yeah, I don't see buying a new camera until the e-pl4...

12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It was explained to me a while back that CCD offered better image quality and thus found its way into many high end applications. The flip side was that it was more expensive and less efficient than CMOS chips... inpart translates to better high iso performance. i believe this is still true today...

The consumer market is driven by different forces.... features at lower prices.... things that are easily marketed to the typical consumer. This includes high MP count, better battery life, and more recently the race for clean High ISO output.

High end shops look towards business value... high quality images that translate to business opportunities. Many of these are your commercial studios that have infinite control over lighting....

I dont think it would be wise for Olympus to adopt the CCD... its the wrong market space; price wise it would be difficult in their class, the biggest obstical when compared to other systems is high ISO performance, and video seems to be all the rage at this time. These are all the things that the typical consumer will weigh in a purchase decision. They are not the type of consumer that will notice or appreciate the subtile advantages in other aspects of image quality associated witj the CCD

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    How about this then...

CCD sensor PEN Digital
    -Pro fully weatherized body
    -At launch, a fully weatherized 45mm ƒ1.8 along with a fully weatherized 40-150..

14. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Anything specific? Like I said, I've used the D50 and it was fine, but probably worse than the cmos equivalents at the time. I know the M9 has good IQ, but I bet most of that is due to the lack of AA filter.

I don't usually look at Dxo, but just did to see what they said: DxOMark - Compare sensors
    According to them the M9 sensor is worse than the 1ds3 or even the nexc3!

15. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Still don't know why CCD, and weather sealing will make them even more expensive. I think eventually there needs to be a "pro" m43 camera, but not for more than $1000-1200. Seeing as the GH2 and EP3 are basically at that price already I don't think sealing is a good idea right now. If they can do it and lower prices then sure, as long as it doesn't make the camera weigh too much.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  17. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    The one that worked didn't say that CCD had better image quality, it said they both have trade offs and in the early years CCDs were better because people didn't have the technology to make good cmos. Again, I'm not trying to be harsh, I just don't understand why you would want a CCD, doesn't seem to be any better than CMOS.

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Understood :smile:
    There's got to be a reason why Hassleblad & Leica chose CCD sensors in their topline models though....:wink:

19. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Maybe...

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Although they perform better, CCD's also cost more to manufacture than CMOS.....This cost factor isn't an issue to Leica & Hasslebald