What would it take for mirrorless to gain larger market share?

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
What's left? Only a really honest discussion of relative advantages and disadvantages in terms of the customer's wants and needs.

:flypig: :flypig: :flypig: :flypig: :flypig:

You're obviously unaquainted with Jessops! :rofl:

UK photographers will know what I mean. :wink:

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
Glad to see the discussion keeping on and good insight offered. :smile:

I apologize if this was already proposed just the way I'll do below: for me the greatest advantage of mirrorless is that it is i.e. the first "true digital" format. The SLR concept is a carry-over for film days and in fact all DSLRs are film cameras with a digital sensor in place of the film and an added on live view. Digital rangefinders are the same thing.

For the first time in photographic history, we are able to see (within technological limitations) exactly what the recording medium is going to capture. Now, in that regard :43: was in fact the first true digital system, historically. It shows what optimizations can be realised by getting rid of technical solutions created for past technologies. This is also true for APS-C mirrorless and in fact is independent of sensor size.

I'm not sure this is something that can be used as a marketing argument though. It will surely apply to enthusiasts but ordinary users need to only see results and the differentiation factor. Olympus already worked the lifestyle angle. Do you remember the ads with Kevin Spacey? They tried to promote an altogether different philosophy of using a camera "seriously"? But they did that when they only had a body or two and a couple of lenses for the system.

Real Name
Nic
It's ironic that both Olympus and Fuji push the physical connection to older cameras of decades past, when it is the more modern looking DSLRs that are constrained by the legacy of older technology and inefficient internal architecture.

homerusan

Mu-43 Regular
as a person who lives in Turkey(yes it's an underdeveloping country) not only varius camera brands, but also camera types differ from country to country. i mean; in here you can see all canon's all camera types except eos-m, or you can find all panasonic cameras except compacts, and you can find all olympus cameras except om-d... all brands maintain their marketing strategy but the biggest role for sales is the distributor's role. it greatly attract the sales of a brand.
for example, OM-D is nearly a one year old camera but it just started to sold in here. And also pricing is brutal. 1600$ for body only... 1950$ with 12-50m...
companies should inspect their distributors

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
for example, OM-D is nearly a one year old camera but it just started to sold in here. And also pricing is brutal. 1600$ for body only... 1950$ with 12-50m...
companies should inspect their distributors

That is why living in the Global Village pays off.

In your case, in the country next door and across the Aegean, the OM-D is sold at the lowest pricepoint in Europe. Current prices are about 850 euro body only, and I think 1050-1100 with kit lens. I also know Italy and France have low prices too.

homerusan

Mu-43 Regular
That is why living in the Global Village pays off.

In your case, in the country next door and across the Aegean, the OM-D is sold at the lowest pricepoint in Europe. Current prices are about 850 euro body only, and I think 1050-1100 with kit lens. I also know Italy and France have low prices too.

wow i think i will arrange my next holiday to Greece just for OM-D :smile:
have a good day fellow :thumbup:

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
wow i think i will arrange my next holiday to Greece just for OM-D :smile:
have a good day fellow :thumbup:

Sure, drop me a note, and when you get to Athens I can fix you up with the best prices for the OM-D. Just make sure you can pass it through customs effortlessly. :wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom