What would cost a photographer to sink this low?

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
That same thing happens to me everyday.
At first I thought it was instagram removing my followers because I follow very few people, but then I've read an article on a blog about this follower-catch "technique".
I've put a disclaimer on my profile saying that I don't follow for follow, but every day I got a bunch of stupid morons following me just to unfollow on the next day, or hours.
Yeah, it’s annoying and if I’m being honest, it makes you look like a douche IMO. The fact that someone would follow you, only to unfollow you in the hopes that you follow them to boost their follower:following ratio makes you look douche, and just further feeds people’s narcissistic tendencies.

If you want to follow me because you like my images, cool, but don’t expect me to follow back. I only follow people that i want, mostly friends/family, some forum members here, and Motorsport photographers.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Yeah, it’s annoying and if I’m being honest, it makes you look like a douche IMO. The fact that someone would follow you, only to unfollow you in the hopes that you follow them to boost their follower:following ratio makes you look douche, and just further feeds people’s narcissistic tendencies.

If you want to follow me because you like my images, cool, but don’t expect me to follow back. I only follow people that i want, mostly friends/family, some forum members here, and Motorsport photographers.

How so? Forgive me if I seem a bit thick in the social media department but how would any genuine followers know that someone was being followed purely in the hope of a reciprocal "follow" from that follower?

This will likely be a diatribe so switch off here................I'm sick to death of social media being blamed for what ails society

I have no doubt that for some strange reason a not inconsiderable number of people (and I fear for the future here) have some strange desire to accumulate a "digital following" that they, for whatever reason, equate Instagram to garnering imaginary friends or somehow boosting their sad, or should I say, unfulfilled ego? I don't comprehend it other than my belief in an (I am told) outdated opinion that it's all down to (the lack of) correct parenting, my reasoning for which, I guess isn't appropriate to elucidate here.

It's all about "need". Why do folk get mowed down by cars because they are crossing the road with their head buried in a phone? Because they have an unfulfilled or more likely a not learned (communication) need? Social media provides instant gratification, and believe it or not, Psychologists have shown that "instant gratification" is not only the cause of most parental substance abuse and subsequent child abuse but also the cause of those children subsequently exhibiting anti social behaviour and possibly perpetuating abuse.

Why do folk follow in the hope that they get followed back? All well and good to simply dismiss them as "sad b@stards" but aren't they your mates, your work colleagues, your sons and daughters, even your parents, and more confusingly and alarmingly, "professionals" who advise and direct you such as paediatricians, psychologists, lawyers et al..............if they're hooked, what hope for your kids?

Social media isn't the problem. It's here to stay. It's how it's used that is the problem.

To simply dismiss Instagram or any other mass (digital) media as for the "brain dead masses" and to consider their users as nothing but "narcissists" is short sighted and ignoring the real problem. Ask yourself (as a parent) do your kids use it and if they do, are they narcissists, and if so, why?.......................all those millions of users can't actually be fruit cakes, can they? Or have they just been indoctrinated to accept a capitalist product................no different really to 60's kids accepting the mini skirt or 80's girls accepting ridiculous perms and leg warmers................other than the fact that digital/media products seem to be more "hypnotic"

The family unit has been divided by capitalism. A wholesome (50's) family equates to one TV, one phone, one kitchen (and it's appliances)...........so it was in England during the industrial revolution. Children at age 16 were evicted from tied cottages, driven to work in the mines and therefore tied to their own mine cottage.............two consuming families as opposed to one. How many tv's in a family home nowadays? How many phones? how many laptops/computers? Promote independence (aka what would have been known as "sexual promiscuity") and you've actually got a kid leaving to set up home with a partner before they are financially sound enough to do so, and what follows is their subsequent dependence on (capitalist) credit

Social media is not the problem. The problem is what it is being used for by capitalism?

Please excuse a (perhaps) off thread reply but as an old fart of 70 yrs of age, I really am surprised by the lack of understanding/consideration/social knowledge of those much younger and supposedly more educated than myself (I left school at 15). TBH, I sometimes think, well I am told, That I am "more in touch" with my kids, and foster kids, than their teachers ever were

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
Yeah, just this week I've had the same person follow me 3 times, because each time they unfollow me. F*cking stupid if you ask me...

I swear 2/3 of followers on instagram are made this way. You use stupid apps which programatically add a bunch of people and then 1/3 of them follow you back. Repeat a few times and you look like a big shot. I can sort of tell when people follow me like that and I just block 'em.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
How so? Forgive me if I seem a bit thick in the social media department but how would any genuine followers know that someone was being followed purely in the hope of a reciprocal "follow" from that follower?

I was saying that people who follow someone, only to then unfollow them, with intention of getting a reciprocal follow from that individual and thus boosting their follwer:following count are douches IMO.

If you like someone's work, follow them. If not, don't follow them. But following/unfollowing just to boost your follower count is stupid.

D

Deleted member 20897

A lot of this is not even real people...it is bots or people hiring firms to get them more "likes" and "follows". I got hit by that a few weeks ago. I normally have around 250-300-ish instagram follows. A few weeks ago what Ian described started happening. My follows spiked initially by 200 almost overnight. I started "following" back some of the ones that looked legit, and my follows continued to spike, to one point it was almost at 600. I started looking harder and noticed that there were a lot of follows from the same "person", a lot of junk accounts for "get more follows" type of thing. So, I just left the account go for a week. Wouldn't you know that all those "likes" and "follows" are back to where they were before the spike.

I've heard of this kind of thing going on but never experienced it first hand. So, instagram is in the same issue as twitter now, where likes and follows can be "purchased". Potential sponsors are looking at follows to see who they can get the most exposure. Like any other enterprise, you can shoose to do it ethically or not...but eventually the truth will come out and take the risk of getting black balled.

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
A lot of this is not even real people...it is bots or people hiring firms to get them more "likes" and "follows". I got hit by that a few weeks ago. I normally have around 250-300-ish instagram follows. A few weeks ago what Ian described started happening. My follows spiked initially by 200 almost overnight. I started "following" back some of the ones that looked legit, and my follows continued to spike, to one point it was almost at 600. I started looking harder and noticed that there were a lot of follows from the same "person", a lot of junk accounts for "get more follows" type of thing. So, I just left the account go for a week. Wouldn't you know that all those "likes" and "follows" are back to where they were before the spike.

I've heard of this kind of thing going on but never experienced it first hand. So, instagram is in the same issue as twitter now, where likes and follows can be "purchased". Potential sponsors are looking at follows to see who they can get the most exposure. Like any other enterprise, you can shoose to do it ethically or not...but eventually the truth will come out and take the risk of getting black balled.
I don't use Instagram.Thanks for the warning.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
I am glad they are flat. I do not have the jaws of an anaconda.
when I buy burgers in Australia (not at McDonalds of course) they actually look like that before shot. They are served on a plate and you can squish it down yourself or just eat it like a meal with a knife and fork ... (which is what I commonly do)

An old shot, but still how they look (and not much different in price to Makkerz)

burger.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Of course this is Australia ...

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
I don't use Instagram.Thanks for the warning.
and what he said goes the same for other online advertising too ...
and BTW that guy is a Physics major who has his own chanel called Veritasium (a combination of the word veracity and a suffix making it seem as if its an Element)

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
But following/unfollowing just to boost your follower count is stupid.

As touched on in the posts above, it may look to stupid, but it is about money and trying to game the system. For those that have risen to the top of the marketing pyramid, there is a lot of money to be made in social media, and a loss of followers equates a loss of income. For some it may be about ego, but for many it is about money pure and simple. Welcome to the modern world of advertising.

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
and what he said goes the same for other online advertising too ...
and BTW that guy is a Physics major who has his own chanel called Veritasium (a combination of the word veracity and a suffix making it seem as if its an Element)
I like his work. And when that video was released, that sealed the deal about how I felt about social media. Some of the folks who developed these products may have had good intentions, but these platforms have been proven ripe for abuse.

--Ken

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
I like Instagram. I follow just a few people whose photography I really enjoy. I don’t have all that many followers, but I’ll get over it. I don’t need hundreds or thousands of people cluttering my feed. Just ones I really like seeing.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
The same person has just started following me for the seventh or eighth time. You'd have thought being ignored the first three or four times would have been a clue to give up.

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
It's not just Instagram. In a video he posted but has since been removed Youtuber Jason Lanier claimed that Youtuber Ken Wheeler, AKA The Angry Photographer, AKA Theoria Apophasis is using images on his social media and on Youtube that he stole from other sources and has claimed as his own. I do not know what is going on but shortly after Lanier posted that Youtube video in which he indicated he was suing Ken Wheeler the Lanier video was removed and his major sponsor and supporter Sony dropped him.

Ossiva

Mu-43 Veteran
It's not just Instagram. In a video he posted but has since been removed Youtuber Jason Lanier claimed that Youtuber Ken Wheeler, AKA The Angry Photographer, AKA Theoria Apophasis is using images on his social media and on Youtube that he stole from other sources and has claimed as his own. I do not know what is going on but shortly after Lanier posted that Youtube video in which he indicated he was suing Ken Wheeler the Lanier video was removed and his major sponsor and supporter Sony dropped him.

That's interesting. Ken Wheeler has received Sony cameras for review. Arguably, he gave them lukewarm reviews since he loves Fuji, but interesting. Youtube politics...

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
That's interesting. Ken Wheeler has received Sony cameras for review. Arguably, he gave them lukewarm reviews since he loves Fuji, but interesting. Youtube politics...
It was Lanier that Sony pulled support from not Ken Wheeler. I don't think Ken Wheeler is listed as being supported by any camera company but Lanier was on the "Sony Artisan of Imagery" panel of shooters. But his name no longer shows up.
The downfall of Jason Lanier - Removed as Sony Artisan of Imagery | TAIPEI GEEK

Last edited:

Ossiva

Mu-43 Veteran
It was Lanier that Sony pulled support from not Ken Wheeler. I don't think Ken Wheeler is listed as being supported by any camera company but Lanier was on the "Sony Artisan of Imagery" panel of shooters. But his name no longer shows up.
The downfall of Jason Lanier - Removed as Sony Artisan of Imagery | TAIPEI GEEK

I understand. I was just fascinated that Sony pulled support for Lanier when Wheeler wasn't one of their ambassadors or whatever they call them these days. Wheeler has always struck me as the Alex Jones of photography, but maybe has has some clout (or a good attorney).

Latest threads

Top Bottom