What would cost a photographer to sink this low?

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Instagram star photographer Daryl Aiden Yow has apologized after being caught posting stock image library content online and claiming it was his own work.
I wonder what kind of mind set someone of fame would have to be in to do such a thing, and hope to get away with it.
Instagram star used stock image photos

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
I have one opinion of Instagram: to me it's InstaCrap
That platform is about photography as much as McDonalds is about fine-dining. Just because it's popular it doesn't mean it's good. :eek:

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
... is about photography as much as McDonalds is about fine-dining.

fastfoods-ads-vs-reality-mcdonalds.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
too kind, with your comparison: that is almost passable.
Years ago I had a Big Mac.
Well, how can I put it... I was bitterly disappointed. And mildly sick afterwards
I see too much of this style of "photography" on Instacrap (admittedly not just like that, but too much anyway)

thennow.jpg

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
All about chasing those likes and building that follower count! Narcissism is one hell of a disorder...

I find Instagram amusing and sad. I follow very few people, mostly friends and contacts. I've had countless people follow me only to stop following when I don't follow them.

It has however allowed me to reconnect with business contacts I lost touch with years ago.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Like any social media platform, Instagram is what you make of it. I follow Magnum and many Magnum photographers (Pinkhassov, David Alan Harvey, others...), motorcycle journalists, photographers and world travelers, former Pentax CEO Ned Bunnell, photo bloggers/vloggers, and photographers in genres that I am interested in (street, social justice, etc....)

Some are day in the life/prosaic. Some post finished work. Some give me a peek into their process. Some surprise and delight me every time they show up in my feed.

If you don't like what you see on Instagram, you're following the wrong people.

D

Deleted member 20897

Whether we like it or not the social media site of the day is where the younger crowd are going for content. If you have a business and want that word of mouth, it is a critical and free way of marketing.

As
3811.jpg
stated, it is what you make of it. If you follow vapid narcissists, then that is the content you will get in return. If you follow quality content providers, then that is what you'll get.

Out of all the social media, I've gotten more jobs from people on instagram seeing my work and cold calling me for photo shoots. Just had one yesterday, where a re-post from a body building competition brought an athlete to my page/website and they contacted me for a shoot ASAP.

What I do is follow the tech sites I want an then the athletes I cover. I shoot for them, they post the pics with my hashtags and instagram name. It's like having marketing people for you in a sense. I'v only got around 300 followers and it does work if you put it in context an use it as a part of your marketing.

If I were not in business, I wouldn't be on instagram.

It is a never ending chase, trying to find that social media holy grail.

In the US, if you want the younger crowd, you go after Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat. For middle age and older Facebook is the place.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
If you don't like what you see on Instagram, you're following the wrong people.

Exactly! Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you only get to see who you are following? If so, what's the gripe from those who think it's crap? Aren't they following the crap?

How does a post about plagiarism/theft get into a "lets knock instagram" thread in so few posts?

It's not intended to be a platform for serious photography so why criticise if for the crap photography? In fact, why criticise it at all? It fulfills a purpose for those who use it, whether they are (as is inferred/perceived to be) narcissists, poseurs, sad b@stards or serial murderers..................who gives a fnck! Not me for sure so I certainly won't waste my time pontificating about it. There's lots of things that I don't like but I certainly have better things to do than post about 'em............that sort of crap should be saved for facebook.............get the irony?

I actually believe that like any (not so new nowadays) media technology, it can be used as a force for good. In my granddaughters case, she has raised a lot of awareness regarding conservation, particularly in the field of raptors who may be poisoned by chemicals ingested via poisoned rodents or are damaged by traffic whilst feeding on roadkill. No doubt, many of her followers have no interest in such and are only interested in her travels and/or the fact that she is a very attractive girl. So what? If only 10% 0f her followers gain a raised awareness of conservation, then Instagram is a good thing............for those who choose to use it for good as opposed to those who use it as a vehicle for a whinge.....................and jeez!.................In Oz, they call us Poms whingers! :laugh1:

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Well....I've never used any of the "social sick sites" and don't feel I've missed anything. Hermit you say? Better that than being surrounded by some of the many brain-sprained morons who just have to be noticed or "liked" on some sicky-site! :coffee-30:

OK, so from that I gather that you think that sites such as this should do away with the like button so that those who gather likes (irrespective of how good their input is) can avoid being classed as "brain-sprained morons who just have to be noticed or "liked"?

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime Silva
Yeah, just this week I've had the same person follow me 3 times, because each time they unfollow me. F*cking stupid if you ask me...

That same thing happens to me everyday.
At first I thought it was instagram removing my followers because I follow very few people, but then I've read an article on a blog about this follower-catch "technique".
I've put a disclaimer on my profile saying that I don't follow for follow, but every day I got a bunch of stupid morons following me just to unfollow on the next day, or hours.

Latest threads

Top Bottom