What would cost a photographer to sink this low?

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
I understand. I was just fascinated that Sony pulled support for Lanier when Wheeler wasn't one of their ambassadors or whatever they call them these days. Wheeler has always struck me as the Alex Jones of photography, but maybe has has some clout (or a good attorney).
I think Sony did not want to get in the middle of what may be a nasty legal battle if the guys go forward with it. Lanier came on very strong in the video and I was a bit surprised since it was on the Sony Channel though he did provide documentation for all that he was saying. Obviously Sony did not like their channel being used for such disputes or want to get in the middle of such arguments.

Personally I find that some of the well known Youtubers copy from other sources and do not give credit. I remember when the Fuji X-T2 came out, one prominent Youtuber posted a review of the camera but at that point did not actually have one nor had one and used images from other sources in their lengthy review without giving credit for those images. That review was replaced a few months later with one in which they had actually handled the camera and had it for demonstration. A week or so ago, another Youtuber did a review of the new Fuji X-T100 without having one in hand and again used images from other sources without giving credit for them. They all need to keep their numbers up there otherwise they lose the revenue their channel generates and I am beginning to believe that without that revenue they would have to actually engage in some photography or get a job flipping hamburgers.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend

Ossiva

Mu-43 Veteran
Good riddance... both of them kind of came across as jerks...

Lanier has never appealed to me for that reason. However, I will occasionally watch a Wheeler video when one pops up about vintage M42 screw-mount lenses. That guy can find some of the most obscure vintage lenses that take great photos.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Lanier has never appealed to me for that reason. However, I will occasionally watch a Wheeler video when one pops up about vintage M42 screw-mount lenses. That guy can find some of the most obscure vintage lenses that take great photos.

Lenses don't take great photos, the guy/gal at the end of them do.

There's some amazing images on this forum taken with "legacy" (where does that word come from?) lenses. There are also heaps of crap that seem to garner likes simply because they come from "adapted lenses". I agree, that there's something about some lenses that make you throw all "technical" caution/criticism to the wind, such as the various incarnations of Helios, and some Nikkors, but some of the praise heaped upon many of the images in the "adapted lens" thread has me shaking my head in disbelief? I sometimes wonder if it's some bot net programmed purely to get m43 forum users to buy lenses that would otherwise have gathered mould in some cellar or long been consigned to a recycle bin?

There's a "feel" to some "vintage" lenses, I agree, but let's be honest, those old lenses really are about "feel". Did anyone actually switch to/or bought into m43 because they could use older (cheaper) glass on the bodies or did it come as an afterthought due to the hype? I'd really love to know the answer to that one as personally, (IMHO) most images portrayed on the forum as having come from "vintage glass" do nothing to portray the benefits of m43

Ossiva

Mu-43 Veteran

There's some amazing images on this forum taken with "legacy" (where does that word come from?) lenses. There are also heaps of crap that seem to garner likes simply because they come from "adapted lenses". I agree, that there's something about some lenses that make you throw all "technical" caution/criticism to the wind, such as the various incarnations of Helios, and some Nikkors, but some of the praise heaped upon many of the images in the "adapted lens" thread has me shaking my head in disbelief? I sometimes wonder if it's some bot net programmed purely to get m43 forum users to buy lenses that would otherwise have gathered mould in some cellar or long been consigned to a recycle bin?

There's a "feel" to some "vintage" lenses, I agree, but let's be honest, those old lenses really are about "feel". Did anyone actually switch to/or bought into m43 because they could use older (cheaper) glass on the bodies or did it come as an afterthought due to the hype? I'd really love to know the answer to that one as personally, (IMHO) most images portrayed on the forum as having come from "vintage glass" do nothing to portray the benefits of m43

Definitely agree that the photographer matters. I fall into the crowd that likes odd lenses with unusual character (e.g. helios series).

I'm currently on a mission to get beautiful bubble bokeh. I've already got swirly bokeh down. I would happily take a new autofocus lens that can produce bubble bokeh (and is reasonably sharp), but it doesn't exist as far as I know.

A lot of people don't like "busy" bokeh, but I adore it.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
I bought into the M43 because it's so compact; brilliant system for travelling (including backpacking and sea kayaking where weight/space are premium).
Only later I discovered that I can adapt non-native lenses to the my cameras. My very first try with a poorly regarded Domiplan gave me results that no native lens could. :)

Progressively I acquired more vintage glass that would give a particular look but never I considered old lenses to give me very sharp results.
I happily abandoned the high "I.Q." crutch years ago where my clients demanded high resolution images (architecture) and now I can shoot for myself. I find that some subject suffer from being shot with lenses that are too sharp (yes, really) and the peculiar look that some old glass gives to an image is what I desire.
Now, the smaller 4/3 sensor doesn't fully do justice to lenses that were designed to cover 35mm film (most typical adaptations) and actually makes most of those lenses look worse (sharpness). It also uses only the central portion of the image circle and often the "good stuff" happens on the edges. I therefore I look for lenses that were designed for smaller formats (1/2 frame, C-mount) that incidentally are also smaller in size (I like that).
But, if I was a measurebator and my goal would be all about crisp, sharp and saturated files than I would be a fool trying to achieve that with vintage glass. Any kit lens, even the simplest/cheapest in the Micro 4/3 line-up, is way sharper than any adapted lens I have.

So why don't I use those lenses? I have quite a lot of very sharp primes and zooms that despite being easy to use and give me consistently sharp images just don't get used.
I have walked away from merely "documenting" a scene or event; these days I try to create a story and feel in my images and the old not-so-sharp lenses help me achieve that.
On my travels however I still carry a small compact zoom (P12-32) and a wide angle prime (can't get a vintage wide) for quick "snaps" where I don't have the time/inspiration to create a more artistic image.

Last edited:

twigboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Despite that I'm at this end of the camera, you have given me some likes here and there! :) Maybe one with a legacy lens (I don't know).

I don't post pics because I think I am an accomplished photographer, but rather thought my humble crude pics fit with the genre of the thread, somebody might enjoy it, not that I am better than another, but for entertainment. I imagine some may do the same with legacy lenses.

There's a "feel" to some "vintage" lenses, I agree, but let's be honest, those old lenses really are about "feel". Did anyone actually switch to/or bought into m43 because they could use older (cheaper) glass on the bodies or did it come as an afterthought due to the hype?

Somewhere in the forums the answers came out that it is about re-using your existing inventory, saving some money in new purchases perhaps until one can afford natives, some about fun, and some about really good lenses whether adapted or not.

I'd really love to know the answer to that one as personally, (IMHO) most images portrayed on the forum as having come from "vintage glass" do nothing to portray the benefits of m43

I agree with this. Micro four thirds stands on it's own, and doesn't need legacy lenses to do that. But it is interesting that Olympus sells (or did) the adapter to use legacy OM lenses (no others but OM). Was that for the benefit of the reasons I listed above and keeping with brand loyalty?

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
<Snip>
I agree with this. Micro four thirds stands on it's own, and doesn't need legacy lenses to do that. But it is interesting that Olympus sells (or did) the adapter to use legacy OM lenses (no others but OM). Was that for the benefit of the reasons I listed above and keeping with brand loyalty?

Perhaps they've learned from the negativity heaped on Canon due to it's various mounts?

I'm actually down to my last 5 legacy lenses on ebay and am thinking of withdrawing them in view of how little they're likely to fetch because ebay is now hitting sellers with commission on postage as well as the 10% GST they say is imposed by the Australian Tax Office despite the fact that Gumtree isn't charging GST? I also have another 12 that have slight fungus that I can't get to (middle elements) and haven't listed, which I will have a play with. I had trouble hitting focus due to poor sight which is why I listed them in the first place but I'm finding that I'm doing alright at macro now that I've got the better viewfinder of the EM 5mkll. I really regret selling the 3 Helios and Nikkor 300 that I had.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
when I buy burgers in Australia (not at McDonalds of course) they actually look like that before shot. They are served on a plate and you can squish it down yourself or just eat it like a meal with a knife and fork ... (which is what I commonly do)

An old shot, but still how they look (and not much different in price to Makkerz)

View attachment 658301

Of course this is Australia ...

Looks like Australia generates some serious purple fringe! At least the people don't get fringed!

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Looks like Australia generates some serious purple fringe!
agreed
although it was taken with a compact.

When I was at Uni (doing a degree in something else) I did a photography subject (for a lark) and some students from Germany complained that there was something wrong with the developer (D-76) in the darkroom. Long story short it turned out that they were completely taken by surprise just how stunningly different contrasts were in Australia compared to Germany (yes, even full sunlight and even with Tri-X film).

Digital was (to me) quite an unusable joke in Australia for most of its existence and needed careful selection of light to make anything usable:

900402729_f396468cc0_o-jpg.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
agreed
although it was taken with a compact.

When I was at Uni (doing a degree in something else) I did a photography subject (for a lark) and some students from Germany complained that there was something wrong with the developer (D-76) in the darkroom. Long story short it turned out that they were completely taken by surprise just how stunningly different contrasts were in Australia compared to Germany (yes, even full sunlight and even with Tri-X film).

Digital was (to me) quite an unusable joke in Australia for most of its existence and needed careful selection of light to make anything usable:

View attachment 661180

Blown highlights and filled shadows seem to be par for the course on a Queensland summer day. I toyed with HDR for a while but soon resigned myself to simply picking the correct days/weather and subjects. In fact, it was like re-learning all over again on my move from the UK.

PippaScott

New to Mu-43
Hi, it's been 3 years since this post, but I would like to discuss this topic again. More and more famous photographers were seen plagiarizing and using photographs from the Internet as their own work. I cannot understand what could be the reasons for doing such things. Every creative person has difficult moments and lacks inspiration, but using photography from the Internet insults the profession. As a good example, I can show you the works of https://www.wanderlustportraits.com. My family often uses the services of this service to create beautiful family photos. We admire the work of these professionals and have never noticed them using fake photos. Maybe this is one of the reasons they are so popular.

Last edited:

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Hi, it's been 3 years since this post, but I would like to discuss this topic again. More and more famous photographers were seen plagiarizing and using photographs from the Internet as their own work. I cannot understand what could be the reasons for doing such things. Every creative person has difficult moments and lacks inspiration, but using photography from the Internet insults the profession.

I do not get the entire social media thing at all.

Instagram users whose goal in life is taking exactly the same photo of hundreds or thousands of other people are especially puzzling.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I do not get the entire social media thing at all.

Instagram users whose goal in life is taking exactly the same photo of hundreds or thousands of other people are especially puzzling.

With regards to pictures, what makes Instagram any different from this forum or any other camera forum? Many here enjoy taking photos of birds, sunsets, architecture, motorcycles, etc... blissfully unconcerned that they're not the first person to take a photo of said cat, sunflower, eagle, etc... and others like and comment upon the ones that they particularly like.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi, it's been 3 years since this post, but I would like to discuss this topic again. More and more famous photographers were seen plagiarizing and using photographs from the Internet as their own work. I cannot understand what could be the reasons for doing such things. Every creative person has difficult moments and lacks inspiration, but using photography from the Internet insults the profession.
Oh, I suspect those people got "famous" off the backs of others as well as trying to continue that dynamic once they were famous. People CAN change, but it is rare when they do.

Don't forget, "Internet Famous" is significantly different from fame from being consistently and artistically productive.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
With regards to pictures, what makes Instagram any different from this forum or any other camera forum? Many here enjoy taking photos of birds, sunsets, architecture, motorcycles, etc... blissfully unconcerned that they're not the first person to take a photo of said cat, sunflower, eagle, etc... and others like and comment upon the ones that they particularly like.

Perhaps I am speaking out of turn? Feel free to correct me.

I associate Instagram with phones, therefore snaps, therefore filters etc. I appreciate that creatives use Instagram to promote their work/businesses, but are these not in the minority?

What I can say for sure is that every single time I open a newspaper, there are pictures lifted from Instagram and Facebook of young and not so young ladies taking pictures of their Turkey teeth, bottoms, botox, pregnancy bumps etc. Then there are the Kardashians with their altered versions of themselves. It's this side that I find odd.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Perhaps I am speaking out of turn? Feel free to correct me.

I associate Instagram with phones, therefore snaps, therefore filters etc. I appreciate that creatives use Instagram to promote their work/businesses, but are these not in the minority?

What I can say for sure is that every single time I open a newspaper, there are pictures lifted from Instagram and Facebook of young and not so young ladies taking pictures of their Turkey teeth, bottoms, botox, pregnancy bumps etc. Then there are the Kardashians with their altered versions of themselves. It's this side that I find odd.
Your Instagram experience is a direct result of who you choose to follow. There are plenty of great bird photographers on there. There are plenty of great photojournalists on there. There are plenty of great fashion photographers on there.

If you choose your interests and who you choose to follow, you Instagram feed will be filled with wonderful and inspiring photos. If you choose to follow the Kardashians, then you'll get them too.

I've been on Insta for years. I've never seen a Kardashian.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran

Your Instagram experience is a direct result of who you choose to follow. There are plenty of great bird photographers on there. There are plenty of great photojournalists on there. There are plenty of great fashion photographers on there.

If you choose your interests and who you choose to follow, you Instagram feed will be filled with wonderful and inspiring photos. If you choose to follow the Kardashians, then you'll get them too.

I've been on Insta for years. I've never seen a Kardashian.

I think you kind of answered your own question. On Instagram, you choose what you experience. You are in your own bubble, never challenged or confronted with things you don't like. On this forum and other forums, you don't get to choose. I don't enjoy taking photos of birds, motorcycles, cats, eagles, I don't follow people who take such photos on Instagram, but on mu-43.com I am likely to see those kind of pictures. So on Instagram, people need to find an audience, find their own bubble, and it promotes attention-seeking behavior in a way that mu-43.com does not, and maybe that affects the photography they would post as well. There are a lot of great photographers posting on IG, but a lot of them get ignored as well.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom