1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What would convince you to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dhazeghi, Dec 8, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I recently hit the 10k actuation mark on my E-M5. Normally, that would be about the point I start downloading samples and starting to ponder an 'upgrade' path. In fact the E-M5 is only the second Four Thirds or Micro Four Thirds body I've had that made it to 10k (out of nearly a dozen total!).

The E-M5 really has been a pleasant surprise for me - good files, good (enough) handling, and none of the inexplicable quirks that marred my previous 43/m43 experience. In fact, I'd say the output is better on average than what I got from my now-sold Nikon D700.

Thinking on it, there are really only 2 things I can think of that Olympus could do to convince me to replace the E-M5 with a newer model.
    1. Electronic shutter. I would like to be able to shoot silently at events, and use the 14-42X as a carry-everywhere lens.
    2. PDAF. There's still no m43 lens that can match my ZD 12-60 for sharpness and range. Getting fast, accurate AF with it would be very nice.

On the flip side, there are a lot of things they could do which wouldn't interest me in the slightest:
    1. Better continuous AF. Don't do sports/action, and S-AF is fast enough for anything else.
    2. Larger body/controls. E-M5 is just the right size for me. And I've learned the controls.
    3. Fancier video. I'm a stills shooter.
    4. More resolution. Stitching works well for the once-in-a-blue-moon when 16MP is not enough.
    5. More dynamic range. Haven't had any irretrievably blown highlights on the E-M5 yet.
    6. Better high ISO. With fast lenses, 3200 is the max I've needed, and by my standards, 3200 on the E-M5 is (just) usable.
    7. WiFi. Too slow to be useful for transferring 8-10GB of ORFs.
    8. Apps (like the Sony 5R). Not much use if you're going to process everything in LR anyway.
    9. More ART filters. See previous.
    10. ?

So, is anybody else feeling similarly satisfied with their cameras? And if so, is that bad news for Olympus & Co?

• Like Like x 2
  2. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Put the tech that the m43 cameras have into my 5D. Sold.

3. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I'm happy with the E-M5, I haven't found any serious flaws, my only tiny gripe is I don't like the style of the cover over the remote, it's a bit of a pain to get open.

I doubt I will even consider a newer model, until the day it breaks down, an even then I would see how cost effective it would be to repair.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    EM-5 works well for me; nothing missing that's mission critical.

Not bad news for Olympus, however - they still get to sell me more lenses. The 45mm and 75mm primes are on my 'wish' list and I have hopes that someday a 200mm 2.8 prime will be introduced as a :43: native lens.

My backup E-PL1 was doomed from the start - I got it to see if I could segue to :43:; had the answer been 'no' I would have sold the camera and moved on. Since the answer was 'yes' I moved to the EM-5 and the E-PL1 sits in the 'standby' kit. The EM-5, however, was not purchased with testing in mind, it was destined to be my "long term" camera from the get-go.

I hope to be stopped on the street by a photographer years hence with the comment of "My gosh!!! You're still shooting that??? I haven't seen one of those in years, but my dad used to have one!"

:rofl:

Regards,

Jim

5. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I love the small size factor, we have lots of very good lenses, it would need to be a full frame sensor for me to change my EM-5.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Right now? Nothing much. Cleaner low ISO and slightly greater dynamic range might be interesting, but mostly a few more fast zoom options would be nice. I've got the Canon for the full frame goodies, and though I'd like a FF package that's more compact with good AF, rules of physics may have something to say about that...

7. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    10k pictures and you're considering upgrading? The thing has no physical shutter... what's going to wear out?

I put 2000+ shots on my 7D during the F1 race weekend here in Austin. That's nothing. The guy I sold my T2i to at work shot 6800 at the F1 race.

8. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    There is a real shutter. It's just one that defaults to open.

9. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    I'll upgrade when they make the next in the om-d series with significant improvements to the IQ.

I have no interest it them shoving a full frame sensor in. I know there's all these benefits that full frame owners tells everyone and their dog about. I just don't see them as actually all that beneficial.

1) Bokeh, yeah lets not take photos where bokeh is the only reason for it. Snapping any old object, person or what have you with a lot of bokeh does not a good photo make. In fact the thicker DOF we get with the m43 means I can shoot wide open more without things I want in focus being OOF.

2) Low light performance. That is nice but since we get roughly 2x the DOF with any aperture setting, FF needs to have better than 2x the noise performance to make it equal for a given DOF requirement. Assuming the m43 lens is faster. For me I find the real noise performance advantage of FF is roughly 1.5 stops. Which means in many situations a fast prime on a m43 will give you just as good noise for a lot less cost and often better performance.

3) Supposed better image quality. Only if you print huge prints is it really apparent. And not always as apparent as you might think. I have a large print of me and my wife's engagement shoot done with a m9. It really looks no different from the same sized prints of photos I took with the APS-C 7D.

Am I the strange person who don't have a lust for full frame? I understand the fascination, I just think the reality is a lot less compelling than suggested.

10. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I've only owned my OM-D for a week (first 4/3 camera), it's replacing the X100 as my personal camera, and I shoot with FF Nikons professionally.

I'm very impressed overall. The things that leave me just a little wanting:
    -Level out the VF hump and bring the VF to the left (like X100, NEX-7, etc). This would make the camera about 5/8" smaller in the vertical dimension and keep my nose off the back screen.
    -A back AF-ON button with good ergonomics (the Fn1 button is tiny and not placed well for this).
    -Better high ISO and dynamic range. I'm impressed by what it has, but there's always room for more.
    -Some firmware updates for minor things like a smaller AF box, more customization to the buttons and displays, etc.

11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A free coupon for USD2000 from a mod or admin here is enough reason to upgrade hahhhahahh
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

12. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

I think he's might be talking about a global shutter, i.e. no physical shutter. Like many phones or compact cameras.

Personally I'm still on my e-p1 because nothing significant enough has changed since then.

Maybe in the next-generation of sensors the IQ difference will finally be enough to do something about it. If they significantly shrink the body size it would make a real difference too. The e-pm's are still not pocketable, if they made one half the size of the current cameras (then add pancake lens) it would be truely pocketable. If they made it tough - like their tough series, shock/water/dust proof.

So far their camera changes have just been incremental improvements on the original e-p1, nothing completely different. Build a camera or features that the previous _can't_ do, not just something better than the previous ones.

13. micronean

micronean Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2012
    Tokyo, Japan
    The only thing would be a significant improvement of DOF with smaller aperture lenses.

In other words: it would have to be a OMD shell/styling, with Leica sensors/electronics, at a $1000-1200 price point.

...so, I won't be upgrading for a while :smile:

Minor improvements would be making the camera ~1cm bigger, clickable-feeling buttons, a less intrusive mounting for the neckstrap, higher res EVF (like the sony a77, or better) with smoother refresh rate when using the art modes. ...but these are just minor evolutions.

14. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    1) Be nice if OM-D jpegs offered the ultra crisp landscape detail of an E-PL1 jpeg although that limitation can be partially mitigated by shooting RAW and then converting to jpeg. To date the sharpest landscape images I've seen posted to this forum were shot by billgreen and LittleMT - both E-PL1 shooters.

2) Be nice if the OM-D had at least some of the video options of the Panasonic GH3; e.g. 1080p60fps capability, slow motion capability, etc.

3) Be nice if the OM-D had an easy-to-set small focus box that didn't have to be reset each time you turn on the camera.

4) Be nice if the continuous auto focus worked faster in video mode.

15. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Here's a video of the MECHANICAL E-M5 shutter going at 9 frames per second:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUwoLAH1GP0&sns=em]Olympus OM-D E-M5 9fps Shutter Continuous Shooting - YouTube[/ame]

Unlike other PENs which are rated for 30,000 to 50,000 actuations, the E-M5 is rated for 100,000.

Anyway, what I'd like to see is a swivel monitor like on the E-3/5, so you can flip it closed so the glass isn't exposed.

16. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    My only negatives are the location of the on off switch, sensitivity of the EVF sensor (I like doing waistlevel shooting with the touchscreen), better video controls...guess that's it ;)

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    With a newer model of what?
    IMHO, the only "new" thing out now is the GH3....

18. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Until there is a new generation of sensors, etc., I am happy. Maybe better video but I don't think anyone confuses the OM-D with the GH3. Mostly I want a fast Oly 25mm and a fast short, 12 -54 or 14-60, and medium Oly zoom, new 40 - 150. I like the OMD from the size the lens options; for me it is the perfect camera.

19. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I'd think very hard about upgrading if they managed to put the 5-axis IBIS into a package the size of an E-PM and then added a thumb dial. I can live with (actually prefer) the option of the detachable viewfinder. I don't need two dials either--I find the clickable one that Panny uses to be just fine.

The only thing I really don't like about my EM-5 is that it's too big and heavy.

20. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I should have commented in my post above yours is that I think the OM-D plus a PEN body is the perfect combo. Our second camera is the E-PM1. I am hoping that one of the new cameras that Oly is rumored to be announcing next year will be a E-PM/E-PL5 sized camera with a rangefinder EVF.