What would be your next lens if you were me?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by macalterego, Aug 19, 2013.

1. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Another one of those "help me decide" questions. Here's my gear for two Olympus E-M5 bodies: OM-D E-M5 (Black and Silver bodies), O12-55mm, P14mm, Oly40-150, Rokinon 7.5mm, Sigma 19mm/30mm, Oly45mm f1.8, asst Nikkor, Canon, Pentax and Olympus manual-adapted from 24mm to 500mm.

I like a lot of different kinds of photography, so it's easier to say what I don't do a lot of, even though I might still do it some: I'm not a macro or street guy. Maybe someday. I'm a landscape and people-events (candids preferably, but do get the group poses often). Love ultra wide and super tele.

Go to ballgames some, this year, China, Southwest, D.C., Rockies, and Ozarks, plus lots of walkabouts in Kansas hill country and lakes.

I'd like to buy a lens now, before heading to China, and then maybe one in the late fall before the Eagles begin coming back to our area. Thought maybe the 75-300 could be handy for getting Eagles in flight, as my manual telephotos aren't much help for moving objects.

Yes, I'd LOVE and intend to own something weather sealed like the 12-35 and 35-100, and those two would be just great for my travels with two bodies, but will not spend that money for a lens this year. Maybe in another 12-18 months.

Also thinking of the 75 1.8, as with two bodies, I could head out with four lenses and mix and match as needed: 12-50 + 75 or 14 + 40-150.

Low light, evening activities: maybe the 14mm or 19mm (wouldn't mind owning the Oly 17 1.8) on one body and the 45 are currently what I use, but sometimes missing more reach in faster glass.

I'm leaning toward the 75 (still under $1000, but wish it were less), as the next lens, and the 75-300 later in the fall/early winter when the eagles are back and I need the reach and focusing speed. Actually, need more reach than that, but there's nothing I can afford and I have a Nikon 500mm and Canon FD 85-300 f/4.5 that can do a lot, and I can borrow a friend's Canon 500 f/4.

So what to do? What am I missing or not considering? Hoping smarter heads with more experience will help me sort this out.
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I would really just use one body for traveling. Also, are you asking for lens advice for this particular trip? You seem to be pretty well covered lens wise.
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    probably the 75-300mm or 100-300mm if your hoping to shoot wildlife

75mm for more distant candids

17mm 1.8 if you need a faster non-telephoto prime
  4. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Adding to what Hazwing said, I own all 3.

The 75mm is a lens that assuming you like to take portraits, sanctioned or not, you cannot go wrong with. Absolutely stunning images come from this lens. Very good for compressed nature photos and a raft of other uses too. #1 choice by far. I love my 45mm Oly, but this lens is in a step up, it is that good.

To save a few $, Cameta Camera sells refurbished lenses. They have the 75mm factory demo for $779 and it carries the full warranty, comes with a box and most likely looks just like new. I bought the 12mm f/2 this way and it was perfect. Saved $150. I would and have bought from them again.

The Panasonic 100-300mm is a surprisingly good lens, given it is equivalent to a 200-600mm zoom. I choose this one over the Oly 75-300 simply because of the faster aperture range. Very happy with this lens for wildlife and birds. Even though the lens has IS, I use the OMD IBIS and it works very well.

Oly 17mm. This replaced my 20mm Panasonic. It is a very good lens, I like the 34mm perspective a lot better than the 40 and it is very fast to autofocus, unlike the 20.

I will be adding a 2nd OMD body soon and my 4 lens travel setup will be 12/17mm on one, 45/75 on the other, and 7.5 mm FE and 45-175GX in the bag.

5. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Since I do a lot of nature photography weekly, I'll probably pick up the 75-300 now, and see whether or not I'll actually end up needing the 40-150. If not, I'll likely sell that and either get the 60mm macro or the 75mm. Thanks for the help. I'm also thinking that I'll get a third body and if not the Ricoh GR, possibly an E-PL or E-PM and 20mm combo.