What wonder of nature is this?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by DHart, Aug 31, 2011.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    A moth? A butterfly?

Whatever this is, the moment my eyes saw it, I was entranced. There it was sitting on my front porch. It graciously allowed me to pick it up and place it on different objects. Captured with G3 and 20/1.7 lens ISO 160, hand held, composed by LCD screen. Shot at f/1.7.

What an amazing little miracle of nature, color, design... humbles me.

• Like Like x 14
  2. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
  3. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Don, I seen this first in the 20mm thread; absolutely stunning thing! I don't think I could have picked it up for fear of damaging it.... strange how some creatures have no inbuilt fear of handling.

Great shots.
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Looks like a Tiger Moth to me. If your are humbled by just the physical design ... ponder this ... Tiger Moths evade bats by generating bursts of ultrasound which will jam the bat's biosonar (echolocation). How cool is that?
    • Like Like x 3
  5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Garden tiger moth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  6. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    anidel... thanks for your comment!

Hey Derek... I expected a flutter of wings when I first touched it... but no! Reminds me of a little bird that allowed me to approach it very closely when I was a little kid... nature's trust? Thanks for your comments!

Gary... a ha... thank you. I had a feeling someone around here would know what this is. I've never seen anything like it before. There were a number of ordinary moths on the front porch where I found this one... I wonder if they were "together" somehow? WOW. Funny you would mention the bat and sonar thing. A few nights ago I saw the first bat on the front porch. I've heard them in the night around here before, but the other night was the first time I actually SAW one, hanging upside down from the upper beam of the covered porch! Yes... I'm humbled evermoreso!
  7. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
  8. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    At first i was going to call bs on anyone getting that close with a pancake 20mm. Seems like you were the brave one making first contact without having a clue what it is. That tiger moth looks like an experimemtal alien cross breeding project.
  9. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona

No kidding! Mind boggling colors and patterns. Amazing thing is that it totally allowed me to do whatever I needed to do to capture it in it's amazing glory! I left it on the fern after my last shots this afternoon. Just checked the fern and it is gone.
  10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    magnificent. I thought for sure it was post processing magic. Crazy colors.
  11. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Wow, nice :smile:
  12. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Don't eat one, they're poisonous. I read that they open their wings to display their colours in order to try to scare you (potential predator) off. You were meant to be successfully confused.