1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What will the E-M5 successor look like?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dhazeghi, Sep 2, 2013.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    So we know now that the E-M1 is not the E-M5's successor. That's partly a function of the design (seems to be scaled up) but mainly the drastic increase in price - the E-M5 came out at $1k for body only, while the E-M1 is supposed to be $1500.

Based on past history, it seems like Olympus is going to need an E-M5 successor within the next 6-7 months or so. The E-M5 will be two years old next April. Moreover, E-M5 prices have been slipping and I imagine sales will drop off substantially due to higher-end customers opting for the E-M1 starting in a few weeks.

The way I see it, the E-M5 successor (let's call it E-M6) needs to walk a fine line between offering meaningful improvements over the E-M5, and not undermining the 'pro' E-M1. A few things are probably givens - WiFi and focus-peaking are the latest feature-du-jour. But others I'm not as sure about. Does the E-M6 get a VF4-derived viewfinder? Will it get a new control layout (the E-P5 and E-M1 both seem to indicate Olympus is still happy to move things about)? Most importantly, does it get the E-M1's sensor, or a lesser derivative (potentially one without PDAF)?

Thoughts?

2. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Good question. I had read in late spring that Olympus had planned to update the eM5 in 2014. I'm thinking they will add more in camera features like HDR and Panoramic tools along with wifi/GPS to play better with consumer devises like iPhone/Android. Based on the success of competing systems in the $599-999 range it seems probable they will do something like this. I'd wish for better C-AF but am not optimistic.

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I think/hope a VF4 type viewfinder and some other minor improvements. Not much else is needed IMHO .

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I would expect the improvements from the E-P5, the latest viewfinder and maybe a little more, but no PDAF from the E-M1. With Olympus' track record I'd also expect a new grip and battery. ;)

Fred

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Traditionally Olympus does not hold back on any feature provided the body capacity is there. Space for 5-axis-IBIS, space for the 1/8000 shutter unit.
    So as to not undermine the E-M1 ... a problem ... well I think we can expect it to do that, the only missing ingredient is the grip.
    Apart from the IBIS, the e-pL6 already undermines the e-M5 and it's a mid-range body.

6. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I would prefer if Olly would stop with those small improvements like they did with the Pen 1, 2 and 3. I would like them to wait until they could really make a new jump forward; serious better sensor AND serious improved AF (like the E-M1) AND serious improved viewfinder (perhaps like the VF4).

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Buy why? It is has proven to be a way to squeeze profits which fund R&D for the next iteration and make incremental directional changes to the product line without putting all their eggs in one basket. It also allows them to make adjustments according to competition. Their success is a good thing.

Besides... no one is stopping you from not always buying the latest and greatest. Simply wait until you think the latest model meets your expectations of a leap forward.

Sent from mobile.... excuse my typos

8. usayit

My thoughts... the E-M1 is intended the be the successor of the E-M5. Olympus already has the

OMD EM#
    PEN E-P#
    PEN E-PL#
    and
    PEN E-PM#

for a system that still owns a little pie of the overall consumer photo market. There is such as a thing as too many choices that can be actually bad at driving consumer purchases. I also don't think Olympus it is in their best interest financially either... its expensive to maintain those model lines.

We also have no real confirmation of the EM1's price point.

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Olympus representatives have stated in the past that the OMD line would include multiple cameras and that the E-M5 was not intended to be pro level camera. The E-M1 is the promised "pro" OMD. I assume eventually the E-M5 will be upgraded, E-M5n maybe?

Fred

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The EM5 isn't perfect. Why not release an upgrade that fixes some of the problems? If nothing else, the camera is a little twitchy about coming out of sleep, etc., and a more stable version could be released. I have no problem with little upgrades. It's not like you have to buy them.

11. usayit

They also stated that there would be a successor to the E-5 for FT system. They have a long way to go before they can really and truly meet the needs of a professional. It takes more than simply releasing a body and calling it 'pro". They need the entire system PLUS a service around it. For starters, allow MFT system to tap into the full potential of their already excellent line of FT lenses or the more expensive route... make a MFT version for them.

Personally, I don't think the professional market is were the money is for Olympus and Panasonic. Marketing "professional" labelled products to the consumers who think they need professional equipment... yes.

They still may branch out the OMD line but honestly, I don't think it makes much business sense given they are not outselling their current stock of last years models. Notice 2012 models are still listed on their website side-by-side with the new stuff.

12. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    That's kind of been the history. My purely speculative thoughts are that we might not see a direct successor till the E-M1 has been on the market a while. Then, I could really see a non-weather sealed camera with most of the E-M1 features. Including pdaf at that point wouldn't seem to jeopardize sales of the E-M1. The E-M5 was a pretty high specced camera. With grip it listed for about $1300. Even thought Olympus says the E-M1 is not the successor, I'm not so sure the next OMD won't be more like an E30 to the E3 than a direct upgrade to the E-M1.

13. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I'm hoping it'll have a decent implementation of custom sets (like Canon or Nikon)...ISO 100, 1/8000s, I'd honestly be happy with just that...GPS would be nice, since I primarily bought this to be a travel camera...but I can live without that.

14. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I think the E-M6? will come without an AA filter, the E-P5's IBIS and some software tweaks (focus peaking, smaller AF points), but mostly be similar to the E-M5.

Unlike the previous discontinued PENs I think the E-M5 should have no problem selling out when it's discontinued, presuming it's priced reasonably. I think rock bottom prices for new E-M5s will be in the $700-800 range when it's discontinued.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It amazes me those things haven't appeared as firmware updates.

16. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Switch "disgusts" for "amazes" and you've got my sentiments. ;)

17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They may well do that, but I think it's a mistake. There is a big difference to buyers between a $999 and a $1499 camera. I think the E-M1 for reasons of size and price will definitely be a far more niche item than the E-M5. And a 2+-year old E-M5 is going to look distinctly long-in-the-tooth against its competitors.

With the 12-40/2.8 and 40-150/2.8 coming it, they really do need a good current prosumer body to help sell the lenses.