What Will Our Legacy Be?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by penfan2010, May 16, 2012.

1. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Interesting food for thought and anti-GAS reminder:

One day you wake up and discover that you know everything there is to know about the most obscure and least obscure cameras and lenses but you have no box of interesting prints, no grand work and no legacy of images to share and cherish. Nothing to share. You only have last year's greatest camera body and the need to get back to work researching this year's.

Full article here:

The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: "Our focus becomes our reality." Star Wars.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I have pictures of my cameras over the years. Does that count?
    • Like Like x 3
  3. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    :smile: Too funny!
  4. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I take picture. I try to do a good job.

I raise my son. I try to do a good job.

Which do you think I care about for a legacy?

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the body of work I've put together over the years and I also enjoy having the obscure knowledge of cameras. Perhaps someday someone will look at my work and be amazed though I doubt it. In the meantime photography remains for me a break from my real work of raising my son.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I have tons of prints. My family & close finds also have prints too.....
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My work is published and printed in many catalogs, advertisements, etc. They probably will fade into obscurity. Most people who look at them will probably never know who took them. That doesn't matter to me. I take photos for various reasons. Most of the time it's to fulfill a job requirement but sometimes it's just to make somebody happy or to give myself something to share. Either way, when the job is done I'm left satisfied and usually compensated in some way. I don't need a legacy beyond that.
  7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    He makes some good points. It's no accident that we spend a lot of time talking about the equipment rather than the image. We do spend too much time fussing over stuff.
    • Like Like x 1