1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What will Oly announce on Jan 6th?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Dec 5, 2015.

1. E-M1 replacement

17 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. New Pen

44 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. F1.2 or f1.0 primes

25 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. Fixed lens zoom compact with large sensor (RX100 like)

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. None of the above

21 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    So - a bit of pre-Christmas fun... What do you reckon Olympus will announce on Jan 6th (when there is a planned product announcement).

2. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    1.2/1.0 and the 300mm release date.

3. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    X2

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    • New Pen with EVF
    • 300 release date
    • f/1.2 models

5. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    But wouldn't a Pen with an EVF be an E-M10?

6. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, very close.

7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I would see a Pen with an EVF be more rangefinder shaped, with the EVF off to the side and no 'prism' hump. Something akin to the gm5

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I'll go for the PEN EP7 (there won't be a 6) and EM1 Mk2
    Rob

9. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, I think that would be very popular.

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the new Pen will definitely need to have the new 20mp sensor and all the bells and whistles of the E-M5 II to be relevant and 4k video would be a nice bonus as well!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Before the E-M1 II gets those?

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think so. The Pen is in direct competition with the GX8 and Panasonic had no problem releasing the 20mp sensor on that body. I think for 2016 Olympus needs to release bodies with new sensors and considering the Pen series were the first Olympus M43 bodies, it'd be a nice way to kick off the New Year!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Didn't the E-P5 debut the 1/8000 shutter and 1/320 flash sync/etc before the E-M1? Or am I getting that mixed up. But anyway, if they're making it a "P" rather than PL/PM - if we get something a bit ahead of the M5/10 line, and a bit behind the M1 line, made very small, that wouldn't be too out of the ordinary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I know I shouldn't really hang around gear sites like this. But I'm hoping that if they bring out a high end Pen with EVF next month, I can buy it on run out in about 4 years` time to replace my E-PM2...

I can only write stuff like that between bouts of GAS however. I'm currently having a hard time resisting the EP5 on run out, truthfully!

15. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Yeah I dunno what it'll actually be. I'm hoping for something really nice like say the way Samsung cut down the NX1 into the NX500. Or something like the RX100-4 as an ILC. The thing that makes me wonder - the thing people seem to be hanging the hope of a new PEN being announced on comes from this, I think?

Olympus Global Open Photo Contest 2015

ywLSZdY.

from their recent photo competition. Silhouette looks uhh ... it does not look festooned with dials and protrusions from that angle at least. So maybe it's just new toys going into the M1-2 in a very small, very simple box? Have to wait and see I guess.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    There is a lot of parity among current micro 4/3 cameras. I think a new Pen with an EVF, EM5 II specs and really killer looks would sell just fine. People buy cars and appliances and God knows what else based on appearance. I don't understand why people resist having this be true of cameras. JMHO, of course.

17. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    I hope they pass on the 20 mp sensor. Plenty of detail already with only 16 and if rather have the larger photocites and slightly better noise performance. I really hate these megapixel races.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    More megapixels with at least the same level of per pixel noise and Dynamic range performance is always better. Since I haven't seen huge leaps in sensor tech (short of BSI) in actual cameras recently I'll take the extra resolution, thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    vote for the new pen. Hoping the new pen have design like GX7 style (rangefinder)

20. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    Dropping the aa filter will do more for you than 4 extra megapixels. Unless you're one of these folks that thinks they can see a difference from 3 or 4 extra megapixels.