What WB do you use for nightscape?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Wasabi Bob, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Tomorrow night I’ll be shooting the annual Tribute in Light event held in NYC. Here’s a shot from last year. I’ve been shooting it since the first one and I’ve usually used the auto white balance setting. Everyone seems to have his or her own opinion on this, so I’d like to find out how you set WB when shooting the skyline of any major city.

What white balance do you generally use, and why?

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/6148933152/" title="Tribute in Light 2011 by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr"> 6148933152_bc90513eee_z. "640" height="481" alt="Tribute in Light 2011"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  2. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I've had some good results in lightroom with night shots just desaturating the orange a little in the HSL controls - then you can concentrate more on the WB for the rest of the scene with a bit less sodium glare in the sky.

BTW, that picture is fantastic!

3. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    I agree terrific shot,

You're not hooting RAW, I've found daylight WB as good as any at a distance at night, if you're up close in the face of diff lights you may need to change

4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I've looked at your picture in the largest possible size. It's impressive.

When I do night shots I usually just use the daylight setting either in camera or in Lightroom. Colour cast is a useless concept here, because there is mostly all sorts of lighting, including a very blue sky. Shooting in raw gives extra flexibility for corrections afterwards.