1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

what was your reason for getting into m43

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by pellicle, Mar 8, 2018.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hey there

A recent post on what was your first m43 camera got me to be interested in what got "you" into m43. And this year also marks 10 years of m43, so I wanted to ask the question.

I expect that its different for everyone, and probably different as the m43 system has evolved. I realise there is a pair of threads for Oly and Panasonic, but to be honest to me it doesn't matter which brand you like. So I thought I'd ask it here, for anyone else who wanted to put in their story.

For me it was a bit of an evolution which started with an experiment to get a lighter weight travel camera which (I hoped) would be the equal (or near enough) to my EOS 20D. I'd used a Nikon Coolpix 5000 (I'm not a brand kind of guy) as my "travel camera" and had taken my Canon with me often enough as well. On a trip to India I found that I often left the Canon in the hotel when out walking and thought to myself what's the point of having it if I don't carry it.

At about that time the Panasonic G1 was released and I became quite interested in it for its weight advantage. I'd used the 43rds cameras that Olympus sold (like the E410) and like them. I didn't have any problem with the sensor being a bit smaller than APS-C, but as I'd come from full frame film EOS (and Pentax MX and OM-1) could not really come to terms with the quite small viewfinder, it just wasn't sufficient for identifying focus. To me the G1 (and its EVF) made that limitation of 43 no longer an obstacle.

Since then I've sold all my Canon EF stuff and have only some film cameras, with the m43 serving all my other needs. The development in the last 10 years has added a rich vista of lenses which have made m43 a viable system.

Since then the system has expanded and its suited pretty much all of my needs and more. I have lenses to choose from and bodies too, not to mention legacy lenses which can be adapted. I occasionally consider other systems, but right now in what I need of a camera its meeting all my needs.

So, what got you into it?

2. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I haven't been in m43 that long (32 months and counting), but I moved because I had been pondering m43 for a while (had tried Sony NEX to replace my Nikon APS-C and didn't like it) but sheer inertia had kept me going with Nikon for years.

The tipping point came on a summer trip when I realized that I was actually not taking pictures when I wanted to because I was not enjoying lugging the Nikon around. With a trip to Yellowstone/Teton coming up, I was in the market for a long lens, so I decided to try the E-M10 + O75-300II. Sold my Nikon gear a few months later and went fully into m43. I am just a hobbyist dad photographer, and I shoot a hodge-podge of stuff. I find that the m43 has allowed me to create a nice setup where I can go between a small urban kit to a long tele "pro" kit as I like.

My view of photography is that the images I create are hooks for my/our memories. The small sensor bugs me not, nor does the occasionally inability of my gear to keep up with what I try to do with it. I love the excellent lenses which the system offers and most importantly find myself enjoying taking pictures in a way which I never did with DSLRs. Probably self-delusion, but ...

So, the proximate cause was the ability to get long reach with the crop sensor. The underlying driver was a search for a system I would enjoy. So far, m43 has been a winner on both counts.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Very simple in my case: Size/quality ratio. I had never really gelled with my D90 (somewhat ironically, I did later on); back in the days of film, my favourite camera was pocketable (Minox GT-E), and a DSLR, even a fairly compact one like the D90, simply didn't cut it as an EDC.

I bought the Olympus E-PM1 on a whim - it was heavily discounted, so probably on its way out of the market; even so, it wasn't an impulse buy - I had researched the camera before buying it and came away with a favourable impression. I also got the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 for it right away - a small capable prime to use as a mainstay instead of the somewhat frugal standard 14-42mm IIR that came with the camera.

What can I say - the camera almost (if not quite) delivered the same IQ than the much bigger and heavier D90, and in spite of its somewhat reductionist handling paradigm, it was intuitive to use. It finally opened up digital photography for me. A few months later, I booked my first photography workshop. After that, things evolved (or should I say, escalated :rolleyes: ) rather quickly.

Since then, photography has become a major factor in my life again - more than ever before. I doubt that this would have happened without the uniquely enjoyable package the E-PM1 provided at the time.

M.

4. DWS

DWS Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 6, 2014
    When I stopped shooting events, the Nikon gear became boat anchors.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. My journey started in 2013, we had booked a trip to England and Ireland and I was heavily invested in Canon. I had got a good selection of lenses and had settled on taking my 5Dmk2 and a selection of lenses along with an SL1 as back-up. The girlfriend had a similar setup but we would only take one backup body between the two of us. I packed up my bag, weighed it, and declared "this is too much s**t to carry around for four weeks"

So I was taking to the manager in the local camera store (remember them!!) and he told me he had a black EM5mk1 that he wanted sell so he could get a silver one. We negotiated a price and I was then the owner of an EM5, battery grip and a 12-50 lens. Over the next couple of months I tried the camera out and picked up a couple of other lenses, 17 F1.8 and a 75-300. I was suitably impressed and the quality of the pictures and how portable it was. This was just coming up to christmas 2013 so I bought one for the girlfriend as a present along with a 14-150mm and a 17 f2.8 lens. Weight problem solved!!!! I also picked up an EPL-5 as a back-up between the two of us.

The England and Ireland trip went great and the cameras performed very well for both of us.
    My bag comprised of the following:
    EM5-1 body with batteries, charger, memory cards etc.
    EPL-5 body with batteries, charger and VF-4
    14-150 mk 1 lens
    17 1.8 lens
    7.5 Rokinon FE lens
    14-42 EZ Pancake Lens
    All in a Think Tank Retrospective 5 bag

The Canon equipment just got to stay at home and sulk LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

Enhanced depth of field, focus peaking, live histogram, predictable focus stacking, better stabilization in video, and Panasonic ergonomics.

• Like Like x 1
  7. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    My Nikon gear got too heavy for me to walk round with, its an age thing.

8. bjurasz

bjurasz Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2014
    Cedar Park
    Nerve damage made using the Canon 40D and the collection of 2.8L glass quite difficult to use. Hence a move to a smaller, lighter setup. The fact the OM-D EM-10 had an electronic viewfinder made that switch easier on me, because as a dSLR user I absolutely positively HATE taking pictures by looking at a screen. :)  Having said that, I've been extremely happy with the image quality and the capabilities of the camera.

9. Bob T

Bob T Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    I was big into video back in the mid to late 2000s. After a bunch of other cameras, I ended up with Panasonic HMC-150 back in '09. Great camera, but a lot to handle, and it cost $3500. Heard about the GH2 being almost as good for video, so I sold the HMC-150, and got the GH2. Turns out, it also took pretty good stills, and I got sucked into still photography as a result. I still do video, but really enjoy the still stuff.

My HMC-150
    S1p3Um.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

10. Lu1Wang

Lu1Wang Mu-43 Regular

Sentimental reason: The original OM-1 was the first camera my dad bought during his trip to Japan when China opened up in the late 70s/early 80s. He passed it to me and I still use it till today. It's a beautiful artifact that filled with our family memories. Thus when the OM-D series came out, I just had to get (the silver)one.

Practical reason: As a frequent traveler and a drone flyer, I need to carry both my drone and camera equipment with me during a trip. Thus I need to try my best to keep them both compact. Therefore M4/3 becomes the ideal format for me. Not to mention one of my workhorse drone - Dji Inspire 1 Pro, also uses M4/3 format. Thus, I can share lenses between my OM-D and the drone, further saving the costs of my hobby.

11. RyanM

RyanM Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2017
    Last spring I was thinking about getting back into photography; it had been a couple years since selling the P&S superzoom I bought in high school.

I was determined to get better low-light performance (ISO 400 was dodgy on that thing...), but full frame was out of the question for both size/weight and cost. Combining mirrorless formfactor with IBIS and some fast primes seemed like the best way to get good low light performance in a portable package.

At that point, m43 has the best selection of inexpensive primes, and Olympus is the only company that has been doing IBIS long enough that you can buy a used body with that feature for just a couple hundred bucks (I bought an e-m5 mk i last summer for $175 :dance3:), so here I am!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Ossiva

Ossiva Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 31, 2017
    TEXAS!
    I knew that I needed to go the mirrorless route for weight savings - old shoulder injury. Fuji was underdeveloped at the time, so I went with M43. I've been very satisfied with Panasonic ever since and the growing M43 lens lineup is a major bonus.

I really wish that I had more to write like everyone else... but that's basically it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    I decided to upgrade from point-and-shoot travel cameras and cell phones for:
    - ultra-wide and fisheye lenses,
    - macro lenses,
    - better low-light images,
    - better overall image quality,
    - more control and something to grow into.

After looking at a variety of interchangeable lens systems, micro four thirds stood out for:
    - overall size/portability
    - lens selection and focal length coverage
    - lens quality
    - camera body features (including IBIS and tilt/articulating screens)
    - greater crop factor and depth of field
    - weather sealing

It still stands out and remains the right system for my interests.

14. I am an Olympus fan boy.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. MPrince

MPrince Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2017
    West Virginia
    Matt Prince
    Last May, as I was about to complete my 61st trip around the sun, I realized that I had become reluctant to take my DSLR with me everywhere. So I started looking into a travel kit. I initially discounted MFT because I wanted to stick with APS-C. There are no camera stores within a convenient driving distance from where I live, but I happened to be in the local Best Buy, so I took a look at the Sony A6000. I went back home to do more research, and was close to pulling the trigger, but there was just something about Sony in general and the A6000 that didn't appeal to me.

So I revisited MFT. I liked the looks of the EM10Mii, so I threw caution to the winds and ordered it along with the 14-42 and 40-150 lenses.

My original plan was to keep the DSLR for most uses, and just use the em10 when I didn't feel like lugging the DSLR around. Within a half hour, though, I knew I would be selling all my APS-C gear, which I did. It has turned out to be one of my better life decisions.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Size and weight for day-to-day and travel, without compromising too much on fast operation, reliable S-AF, decent IQ and low-light performance. The lens selection and the fact that the E-M1 made C-AF good enough for a toddler running around made me stay.

17. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I came to m43 as my first system camera. I knew I wanted higher IQ than was available at the time from P&S digital cameras, but didn't want something as large as the DSLRs from the big boys. I also have a soft spot for niche products and liked the vaguely "retro" aesthetic of the early m43 bodies. I ended up buying an E-PL1 kit in early 2011. Since then I've owned an E-PM1, GF1, GF3, G3, E-3, E-M5.1, E-M5.2 and finally an E-M1 and an ever-growing assortment of lenses (including a bunch of legacy glass), bags, etc.

I've been tempted by the Fuji system (mostly for the ergonomics and style), but stay with m43 because I continue to feel that it represents (for me) the ideal combination of image quality and kit size.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. knikki

knikki Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    Up North, UK
    Weight more than anything else plus after watching m43 develop over the years realised that I could get the image quality I wanted from a smaller setup.

Saying that I now have Fuji, Sony Nex plus film cameras and still use Pentax 67.

• Like Like x 1
  19. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I had moved from point and shoots (ELPHs, Panny LX3, Canon G9, a720) to DSLRs (Rebels and then a 5D).

I tried an EP1 in 2009 for:
    1. something more compact than a DSLR but better IQ than the compacts and
    2. the styling

After getting it, I also loved trying out legacy glass

But size and quality balance were at the heart of it. Always.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. macro

macro Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 22, 2012
    New Zealand
    It could take large heavy manual focus Canon tele lenses. The crop factor was one of the most important things along with still being able to crop after the shots and still have darn good IQ. Sony APS-C for exactly the same reasons and with the same lenses, but a different crop factor. Both extremely useful.

Started off years ago with a Pannie G1.

Weight and size has nothing to do with it here, the quality does.

All the best.

Danny.

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.