What was your first lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sammaritan12, Mar 30, 2013.

1. sammaritan12

sammaritan12 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2012
    What was the first lens that you bought (not including kit lenses)? What were some of your photos? How did the lens contribute to your photography?
  2. RayB

RayB Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2010
  3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
  4. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    PL 25mm f/1.4
    Documenting my folks' 70th anniversary.
    It reaffirmed my belief that great lenses matter.
  5. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    SMC Pentax 50mm f1.7! My first lens and only lens, for a REALLY long time. I had a Pentax K1000 (the 135 version, they've been reusing model numbers I guess :wink:), and it taught me, well- about 90% of everything I know now about photography, the two most import of which are: framing, and "I zoom with my feet."

Oh uh, µ4/3: 14mm f2.5 Panasonic. It taught me that µ4/3 is PERFECT for performance + weight/size... and that my 17mm f2.8 kit lens kinda sucked with resolution and AF.
  6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    The first lens I bought was a Tamron 90mm/2.5 macro with an MD mount to use on my Minolta XD-11. When I switched to Olympus I swapped the mount and kept using it. Digital came along and I got an OM to Four Thirds adapter and now that attaches to a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter to use on my Panasonic G2.

It fueled my interest in close-up photography and turned out to be the focal length (on 35mm film - no, i won't call it "full frame") that most closely matched the way I see things. Back in my film days I usually carried a 24mm, 35mm and the 90. For a while the 90 accounted for about 75% of my photographs.

I don't use it much now because on m4/3 it's longer than than I like for general use. But after 30 years I think I'll keep it anyway.

7. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Miranda 50/1.8 on Miranda Model F w/detachable meter. Sweet camera. Bought it used when I started art school.

For m43, the Oly 17/2.8 was my first purchased lens. Unlike mr_roboto, I found my little 17 to be an admirable performer, and until I purchased the Sig 30, it was my most used lens.

Regarding the comparison between the 14 and 17, my 17 is better than my 14 in every way... especially for CA.

Here is a test comparison I did:

All sizes | 14v17v30v45_test_labeled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

As expected, the Oly 45 is better than both. The Sigma 30 is probably a little better than the 17, but doesn't handle flare as nicely.
  8. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Olympus 45mm f/1.8.
    Barely knew the camera, was coming from a P&S, so I surely made quite a few mistakes, but here are my first shots with the 45mm, I had gotten it for just a day or 2 when I took that picture (along with quite a few others).

ISO 5000, f/1.8, 1/160s, 45mm (obviously)

The lens helped me a lot with my photography where I have to think differently than I'd do with a zoom. It also gave me some control over DOF and also taught me that despite what people say, you need to be aware of DOF with mft cuz u do get background blur. It also enabled me to shoot many small gatherings and even 1 larger event without being bothering everyone with a flash cuz lighting was less than appropriate.

Attached Files:

9. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    20/1.7 (after owning the 14-45 & 45-200 G1 kit)

I wanted a lens to get a shallow depth of field. Coming from small Casio Exilim cameras, this was the feature I wanted most from my G1. I experimented a lot (even with self made bokeh styles) and probably overdid it with shallow DOF quite often. :) But hey, anyone has to go through that phase, right? :rolleyes:

Here is one of the images I took when the lens was new. It is also one of the few early ones in which the shallow DOF works for the image. :)

<a href="http://500px.com/photo/630755">[​IMG]"Bokeh out of the cup by quatchi) on 500px.com" border="0" style="margin: 0 0 5px 0;"></a><br/><font style="font-size: 80%;"><a href="http://500px.com/photo/630755">Bokeh out of the cup</a> by <a href="http://500px.com/olli_muc">quatchi</a></font>
  10. chlau

chlau Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    PL-45/2.8 was my first one. Love (1) the focal length, and (2) macro. The 20/1.7 was the second. And for a very long time, there was no third.
  11. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    First digital lens was the Olympus 35mm f/3.5 Macro. Sharp little firecracker that was. The first for m.4/3 was the Oly 45. Another winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  12. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    My first lens was a 135mm in 42mm screw mount for a Praktica SLR around 40 years ago. The kit lens that came with the camera (I don't remember calling them "kit lenses" back then was a Zeiss F/2.8 50mm lens. I can't remember what the 135mm was but I suspect it was a Zeiss also.

My first non-kit lens for M43 was the Olympus 17mm F/2.8 pancake which I still think is a better lens than many seems to think.
  13. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Since i got the P20 as a "kit" the first lens that I have bought was the P14-45.

The first picture that was web worthy is:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehudlavon/8594856024/" title="Colors in Tel-Aviv by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr">[​IMG]"768" height="1024" alt="Colors in Tel-Aviv"></a>
  14. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    My first digital lens and M43 lens was the Pana 20mm. This was the first lens purchase for many early M43 adopters, as when the system first launched there weren't any other fast native lens options.

I was most excited about the lens because I have never liked using flash photography. And I had not had a camera that could successfully work in low light since my film camera had been stolen years before.

The E-P1 with 20mm still amazes me regarding what it can can capture in low light.
  15. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I went for the Oly 12 and 45 as first additional lenses, and they are still my base set for every day work.
  16. Quisquam

Quisquam Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 23, 2013
    I bought the GF3 and the P 14/2.5 was kind of the "kit-lens" for it. As an only lens it was too wide for me. I bought adapters to use some legacy lenses that I already owned, but my second m4/3-lens was the OM 45/.18. It taught me that it was possible to take great portraits with this camera system too. :biggrin:
  17. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    The first lens I got was actually an FD mount Soligor 80-200, for $7... the adapter cost twice as much. :)

The first native lens I got was the P 45-200, though I've since sold that in favor of the 45-150, which is a superior lens in everything except reach.
  18. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    For all cameras I guess my first additional lens was a 75-300 for an EOS film camera. It let me take pictures of sports for my school which was the only reason I got it. The first lens I got for myself was a Sigma 24/2.8 for the same camera. Optically pretty good, but the AF motor sounded like it had sand in it - noisy bugger. I used it for landscapes, and probably the biggest thing it taught me was you better know what you are doing if you are going to use wide angle and landscape (I didn't know what I was doing).

I don't have any of my first shots with that 24 scanned, but here is one from later.

The truly nerdy might enjoy determining the number of elements in that lens and how many are in front of and behind the aperture stop by counting the incredible number of flare reflections in that image! (I actually did that exercise once when bored).

For m43 I bought a G1+14-45 in the summer of 2009 (I was a reasonably early adopter). By a small miracle a used 7-14 showed up on E-bay in September. It was a great price, there was Bing Cashback back then. It was essentially new in box, had been imported from Japan by someone (lens wasn't even available in the US yet). Cost me only $792! Was on E-bay for like 13 minutes when I scooped it up - was 2 AM in the morning and I just happened to search E-bay for m43 lenses. It was this lens that made me realize that I would probably be dumping all my APS-C Canon gear.

I took a few test shots when I got it of course, but ignoring those here are the "real" shots I took on my very first trip with my m43 gear and the 7-14 a few weeks later:

And just a few days after unexpectedly getting the 7-14 I also picked up the 45-200. The set of the 7-14/14-45/45-200 and the original G1 were what I took on a 10-day trip to Death Valley that fall. Never used my Canon APS-C ever again after that. Only got around to selling off all the Canon lenses last year.
  19. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Body only, along with the Panasonic Leica 25mm.
  20. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Ever? A Nikon E 50mm f/1.8. Well, technically, it was my father's...

It wasn't till μ43 that I came back to interchangeable lenses. With digital I had a couple Konica Minoltas super zooms and then a Panasonic FZ35...which is then how I found out about μ43. Μy first non-kit lens was the 25mm f/1.4.