What UV filter for 20/1.7? or none?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by MrDoug, Oct 24, 2011.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I know this has been hashed and rehashed many times..:smile: but my question is for this particular lens.. I have heard a UV filter causes more flare because of the steep convex nature of the lens.. I am not much for using lens caps.. as I like a protection filter and just not worry about the cap.. your feedback is appreciated in advance..
  2. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
  3. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    ^ Hoya HMC UV

That's what I had on my 20. No noticeable differences during the daytime but the occasional flair when pointed at artificial lights at night...especially with street lamps.

I don't want to bother with the lens cap so I use mine in conjunction with a hood for protection. Just having a hood is pretty sufficient protection.

The more I shoot with it though the more I realize: life's too short to worry lens flare and protecting glass. Been going commando ever since.
  4. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Agreed, especially on the 20mm lens which has such a small front element. Putting a 46mm filter on it seems a bit disproportionate considering how little area the front element occupies relative to the filter.

But I'm thinking of going without the hood sometimes for a more compact package and the filter seems to be the way to go for those occasions.
  5. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    We've heard all the pros and cons with using or not using a filter. I frankly think the black and white arguments for and against are silly and extreme.

It's really a matter of taking it on or off depending on where you are and the conditions you are encountering. It's not as though one is welding the filters onto the lens and can't remove it later.

I'll want a protective filter if I'm visiting the sulfur cauldrons of Yellowstone or Mt. Kilauela, in the midst of a rain/sand/hail-storm, or covering the post-victory celebrations in a champagne-soaked sports locker room.

That's why I'll always have one in my camera bag or pocket, ready for use.

Among filter brands, I had always favored the Hoya filters over all others, but lately prefer the B&Ws. Hoya uses aluminum rings (versus steel for B&W), which are more susceptible to deforming (had it happen on my expensive, ultra-thin, 77mm circular polarizer) and locking onto the lens. The glass coatings are also more difficult to clean compared with the B&Ws.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    I think B+W uses brass.

I've found that Hoya HMC coatings are quite hard to clean but for the low price I can live with that.
  7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    As far as I've read, if you've opted for HOYA brand filters the trick is to go for those manufactured in Japan rather than those made in the Philippines. A small premium is paid but apparently their Japanese manufactured filters are superior in every way.
  8. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    ^ yup. In some cases it's almost double the price with the Japanese multi-coated ND filters. I had a vendor send me a Hoya HMC ND8 m.i.j. by mistake (or maybe they ran out of regular). No complaints here. :smile:
  9. Christopher

Christopher Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    Ive had a few of the hoya super hmc uv on my Nikon glass in the past. It's pretty good for the price. If its something I really like I'll opt for a b&w pro filter though. I have a friend who was a "professional" and he swears through and through that b&w are the only way to go because of how they cut their glass opposed to cutting from a sheet.
  10. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I have got the Hoya uv for my Olympus 17mm and it looks daft, but I've got them on all of my Nikon lenses, so it was bought out of habit.. And I have scratched a uv filter which did protect my £1200 lens. It was by a white tiger at a photography class at a zoo!

I'm keeping it on as I am scared of losing the lens cap as it's so tiny, figure the £12 for the uv filter will be cheaper than a lens cap and gives the lens a little protection (and the cap goes in a sandisk pouch).
  11. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    There's a time and place for zooming with your feet, I suspect "within tiger range" may be time for zooming with the lens... ;)